Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam>everyone else
Old 02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Moze
Absolutely - wasn't trying to start anything and I'm not the least bit interested in arguing with anyone.

The OP asked who the top tuners are, and I feel that based on his abilities, Louis is definitely one of them. Louis can tune any LS/LT setup. Sean can apparently tune N/A applications but couldn't tune for turbo/speed density. Only being able to tune N/A applications or non-speed density applications doesn't make someone a "top tuner" in my opinion. Again, not trying to start anything. It's just if someone is asking for a "top tuner", I'm going to recommend a tuner who can do it all, not someone who isn't going to be able to help me if I go forced induction with speed density, etc. It would suck to start with someone who can only tune N/A S/D stuff, then go to a F/I setup and have to start over and pay a new tuner because your previous one can't tune F/I S/D. In other words, when it comes to tuning, I don't think Sean knows anything that Louis doesn't already know (maybe I'm wrong - no one knows everything). But I know Louis knows stuff Sean doesn't.

We had one "issue" when we were tuning the truck and Louis called Rick at Synergy. Just a total brain fart moment. I finished the build late on a Sunday night Louis came out and tuned until about 2 in the morning so he just missed it due to being exhausted. Anyway, point is, I know Rick is his go-to guy with any tuning issues. And anyone that knows about LS tuning, knows Rick is unquestionably one of the best in the business.

Anyway, I sold the truck last January and I miss the crap out of it. Word on the street is that the guy that bought it turned up the boost from 12psi (which was Louis's tune/recommended limit for a daily driver which never gave me a single problem) up to 14 or 15psi and broke it. I got a lifted Nissan Titan and drove that for a year. Sold that a couple of weeks ago and am picking up an '05 CTS-V today.

Sorry about the truck being gone, i know the feeling i was so close to 10's in the TBSS and then had to get rid of it , I went thru a couple hohum vehicles and now finally worked my way back into an LS based car again, 2002 firehawk.. Starting the process all over again, but thats the best part.. We'll have to meet up at a track outing some time and run'em, or better yet we can get Sean and Luis to run eachother, LOL... See ya.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:50 PM
FormerVendor

I can tune anything. I will not tune anything while you wait, as there is always more to a tune than a few hours worth of work. It takes days on some of the more complicated setups to make them run, start, and drive right. Stock bolt on cars, with minimal changes, I can do in a matter of hours.

Sam is good with the older cars getting them to start, idle and run well. Hes pretty smart. However, he doesnt have a dyno. He uses LGs most of the time. I ask Sam questions on idle and start up, because Im mostly a C6/C5 guy, and they are all drive by wire. They do not have the intricacies that the cable cars have.

The newer stuff I would venture to say Im top 10 in the nation. Im doing things with the ZR1 that people thought were never possible, and Im just getting started.

In the end, its all who you feel most comfortable with. Call them, and talk to them on the phone. Feel them out. Find out what they have done and see if they are worth their salt.

If you like them, you guys get a long, your car runs, and doenst die, doesnt blow up, and drives well, you should be happy with their work.

Louis
Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

^I would choose him since he made an effort to come into this thread and make a great post, but that's just me.

Plus I saw his work on a certain supra and I am beyond impressed.

With fbodies though and ls motors I still think Sam is one of the best but if your using his advice along with your own that's like the best of both worlds
Old 02-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I guess people have a wide choice of excellent tuners to use in the area, i have used and seen the work and work ethics of most of them and I still stick with my choice, even though i could go anywhere i choose. Sean w, TrueStreet will not come on these boards and give opinions on anyone elses work, just because he is not that kind of person, nor does he need to do that to uphold his reputation. When tuning my last vehicle I actually was using 3-different tuners inputs at one time, i liked certain things that each tuner contributed to make one killer package, and Sean was the only person who did not bad mouth, discredit or try to change the things i liked from the others tunes and/or methods.. That being said, the best thing is to take all this info from this thread and come to your own educated conclusion and just find somebody your comfortable with, i'm sure each one will shine in their own respectable way...And last but not least its all in the name of keeping our hobby and love for performance alive....Have fun!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moze
Absolutely - wasn't trying to start anything and I'm not the least bit interested in arguing with anyone.

The OP asked who the top tuners are, and I feel that based on his abilities, Louis is definitely one of them. Louis can tune any LS/LT setup. Sean can apparently tune N/A applications but couldn't tune for turbo/speed density. Only being able to tune N/A applications or non-speed density applications doesn't make someone a "top tuner" in my opinion. Again, not trying to start anything. It's just if someone is asking for a "top tuner", I'm going to recommend a tuner who can do it all, not someone who isn't going to be able to help me if I go forced induction with speed density, etc. It would suck to start with someone who can only tune N/A S/D stuff, then go to a F/I setup and have to start over and pay a new tuner because your previous one can't tune F/I S/D. In other words, when it comes to tuning, I don't think Sean knows anything that Louis doesn't already know (maybe I'm wrong - no one knows everything). But I know Louis knows stuff Sean doesn't.

We had one "issue" when we were tuning the truck and Louis called Rick at Synergy. Just a total brain fart moment. I finished the build late on a Sunday night Louis came out and tuned until about 2 in the morning so he just missed it due to being exhausted. Anyway, point is, I know Rick is his go-to guy with any tuning issues. And anyone that knows about LS tuning, knows Rick is unquestionably one of the best in the business.

Anyway, I sold the truck last January and I miss the crap out of it. Word on the street is that the guy that bought it turned up the boost from 12psi (which was Louis's tune/recommended limit for a daily driver which never gave me a single problem) up to 14 or 15psi and broke it. I got a lifted Nissan Titan and drove that for a year. Sold that a couple of weeks ago and am picking up an '05 CTS-V today.
tuners all other tuners all the time for help, sometimes you run into issues that you havent seen before but maybe the other tuner has, doesnt make him a better tuner, just that he has seen that problem before, Rick @ synergy is my good friend and we call each other all the time back and forth with tuning questions
Old 02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am checking this thread daily and am pobably two months from a tune so want all the input i can get. I like the fact that you said call and talk to people an see how I feel about it but my last tune I tried that and everyone was too buisy to talk. I will say that I know it's not a quick venture but who ever tunes it will have to be ok with me being there from time to time and let me see all the dyne pulls that get made. The last time it was damaged while on the dyne and they didn't tell me and I didn't make it home. A guy at the shop told me the truth at a meet after the fact. Not that y'all would do that but I figure with as much as I have in the car and if who I let tune it is as good as they say it shouldn't be a problem for me to be around. And the insurance excuse will not work I am an instructor for general and constuction industry OSHA outreach and don't have a problem signing a release.

Originally Posted by Louis at GSS
I can tune anything. I will not tune anything while you wait, as there is always more to a tune than a few hours worth of work. It takes days on some of the more complicated setups to make them run, start, and drive right. Stock bolt on cars, with minimal changes, I can do in a matter of hours.

Sam is good with the older cars getting them to start, idle and run well. Hes pretty smart. However, he doesnt have a dyno. He uses LGs most of the time. I ask Sam questions on idle and start up, because Im mostly a C6/C5 guy, and they are all drive by wire. They do not have the intricacies that the cable cars have.

The newer stuff I would venture to say Im top 10 in the nation. Im doing things with the ZR1 that people thought were never possible, and Im just getting started.

In the end, its all who you feel most comfortable with. Call them, and talk to them on the phone. Feel them out. Find out what they have done and see if they are worth their salt.

If you like them, you guys get a long, your car runs, and doenst die, doesnt blow up, and drives well, you should be happy with their work.

Louis
Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by suvettetexas
Well, I guess people have a wide choice of excellent tuners to use in the area, i have used and seen the work and work ethics of most of them and I still stick with my choice, even though i could go anywhere i choose. Sean w, TrueStreet will not come on these boards and give opinions on anyone elses work, just because he is not that kind of person, nor does he need to do that to uphold his reputation. When tuning my last vehicle I actually was using 3-different tuners inputs at one time, i liked certain things that each tuner contributed to make one killer package, and Sean was the only person who did not bad mouth, discredit or try to change the things i liked from the others tunes and/or methods.. That being said, the best thing is to take all this info from this thread and come to your own educated conclusion and just find somebody your comfortable with, i'm sure each one will shine in their own respectable way...And last but not least its all in the name of keeping our hobby and love for performance alive....Have fun!!!!
Is this Pat? You shared shop space with Sean, so isnt your opinion of him a little biased? He was your friend, was he not?

Sean knows a lot over a LARGE variety of cars, and has seen his fair share of almost every possible scenario when it comes to tuning.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Louis at Gss would b a pick that u couldn't wrong with

I need a magnacharger ...can u pm a price to me
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
FormerVendor

I will jason! We got snow down here... I bet its sunny and 65 in Indiana!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I will jason! We got snow down here... I bet its sunny and 65 in Indiana!
Lol u miss that Midwest weather don't yah
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will say louis knows his ****
He built me 3 cars and everyone of them ran a bit better than what they should . Via Dyno numbers etc...

Last car was a SD tune and was perfect ... Tune was so good my wife could drive it ..
It was a 98 z28 LS3 cam only M6 that ran 10.6 @130 n/a

Also built a bad *** tru dual exhaust that went over the axles in his garage at purdue

Louis is a car genious ...He Can do anything u want done
Old 02-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Has anybody heard anything about Pat at quality motorsports??? I heard he was decent and I am looking for a good dyno tune on the jug!!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

+1 for Sam
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since no one else has said it I have a tune from Mark Shaner and couldn't be happier. Yes he does take a little longer cause he works alone and he is older but his street tune is dead on and my car was a different car once he got done. +1 for Mark
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 AM
formerly Moze (2/24/2012)

Just to clarify - I wasn't trying to make Sean out to be a "bad guy" or a "bad tuner". He was nice enough to make the trip to my house on a Sunday night to do the tune, but didn't because it was speed density. But regardless, I appreciated his efforts and willingness to come out on a Sunday when he could have told me to take a flying leap.

Hopefully that clears up and misunderstandings. I wasn't trying to put him down as a tuner.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

What about a tuner using cmr?
Old 02-10-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Carlos@Quality Motorsports has treated me well. Louis has helped me out too. I would goto either of them without an issue. I've got mailorder tunes from both of them.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Louis

Meh...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Just kidding. Louis could tune a rickshaw.

Quick Reply: Top 5 tuners in dfw??