Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 5.3 pcm into 99 m6 f-body

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 5.3 pcm into 99 m6 f-body

Ok guys, I'm having a few issues here. I recently swapped a pcm from a 99' automatic 5.3 silverado into a 99 m6 ls1 f-body because the original computer took a dump on me and we had an extra laying around. It was my understanding that the pcm's are the same/minimal differences so they are interchangeable. I copied all the differences over from the ls1 pcm to the 5.3 pcm and it started and seems to run decent. I'm having issues with the check engine light refusing to go off, no matter what DTC's i turn off, the airbag light's on, traction control doesn't work(which i assumed it wouldn't) but most importantly its very hard to get into reverse now. I assume thats because its an auto pcm. What are my options here? Will I have to take it to the dealership and have them flash a 99' OS? If so, will I have to re-license the computer after doing so? I just really don't want to have to license another computer just to use it's OS.

-Garrett's Final Tune- 5.3 pcm with Ls1 tune on it.
-Garrett's 99 ls1 cabot tune- Original ls1 tune file.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
Garretts final tune.hpt (465.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: hpt
garrett 99 ls1 cabot tune.hpt (454.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just flash your original tune into the new box, as a full image flash?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slow
Why not just flash your original tune into the new box, as a full image flash?
Well that would be the best option if I already had the old computer licensed, but I don't. Somebody else tuned it using EFI live.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Teching In

I was told that the reverse lockout would never work on the 5.3 pcm without re-pinning it. Is that true?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pudgerado
Well that would be the best option if I already had the old computer licensed, but I don't. Somebody else tuned it using EFI live.
Email support (at) hptuners and have them do a transmission segment swap to a manual on the one you have licensed, then a "write entire." I've done this before and they had the new file back to me within a few hours.

Your problem is the auto shares pins with the manual and some of those pins have different functions (reverse lockout, TCC, skip shift, shift solenoids, etc.) depending on the tune. 4L60E's have a different transmission pinout than 4L80E's and manuals are different again.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so.... you have problems because you did the update improperly (which you KNOW) and you want to fix the issues. You really just need to full-flash the new PCM. Pony up for the license.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Frost
so.... you have problems because you did the update improperly (which you KNOW) and you want to fix the issues. You really just need to full-flash the new PCM. Pony up for the license.
Yes, exactly. I realize I did it improperly, but the car broke down on the side of the road and we needed a way to get it home. It was cheaper to write the 5.3 pcm that i already had than to pay a tow bill. I just really hate to waist $100 on a tune in the repository, or the shitty old factory pcm to do a full reflash. I'll email support and try to get the transmission segment swap and see if that works.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Also, if I do a full reflash will the reverse lockout work? Or if I take it to the dealer and have them do a stock reflash will I have to re-license the pcm?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:12 PM
10 Second Truck Club

I'm using a 411 pcm from a 99 truck in my 98 Camaro (02 wiring harness). I had to change the OS to one for the Camaro and then flashed in the tune. Works great and no repinning.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, exactly. I realize I did it improperly, but the car broke down on the side of the road and we needed a way to get it home. It was cheaper to write the 5.3 pcm that i already had than to pay a tow bill. I just really hate to waist $100 on a tune in the repository, or the shitty old factory pcm to do a full reflash. I'll email support and try to get the transmission segment swap and see if that works.
Seriously, that's not the right way to do this either and will leave you issues. Just take your old hpt file and do a write entire to the truck PCM. You don't need anything from the repository.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I was at work when I posted the first time and now I just re-read this thread from top to bottom.... I was initially under the impression the original "good" tune was on a PCM that was damaged and thus unrecoverable. Is the manual tune posted above the "good" tune? If so, I agree with Frost - use two credits, license it and be done!

Seriously, that's not the right way to do this either and will leave you issues. Just take your old hpt file and do a write entire to the truck PCM. You don't need anything from the repository.
Again I agree. I would take his advice, I would be willing to bet this man has successfully tuned more cars than Richard Petty has won NASCAR races...
Old 02-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I just really wanted to make sure the reverse lockout and everything will work just fine with a 5.3 pcm with an ls1 OS. I knew that was the best option, but a guy that dyno tunes in memphis told me that in order to use the 5.3 pcm i would have to repinn it for reverse. I thought he was wrong, just wanted verification.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Again I agree. I would take his advice, I would be willing to bet this man has successfully tuned more cars than Richard Petty has won NASCAR races... [/QUOTE]

Haha Frost is definitely the man. He actually originally tuned the car a few cam/motor swaps ago
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

once you do a full wite of your old files from your dead pcm to the new pcm, it will no longer be a 5.3 pcm, but a 5.7 ls1 pcm.

Just use your credits flash the new pcm with your old backup file and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 67SS509
I'm using a 411 pcm from a 99 truck in my 98 Camaro (02 wiring harness). I had to change the OS to one for the Camaro and then flashed in the tune. Works great and no repinning.
Now when you did that, did you wire in the cluster directly to your sensors? the 98 cluster is driven directly off the engine sensors. To say you used a 99 harness and that was all you had to do, doent make sence.
When i use the 99 and newer engine harness in the 98 cars for the swap there are about 6 wires that need to be wired into the pass side kick connector (under the glove box).

I just want to be clear, some think they can get a 99 harness swap it on a 98 and they are done. And that is not the case.

Can you please clarify?

Quick Reply: 99 5.3 pcm into 99 m6 f-body