PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone played with Injector Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no reason for name calling jesus he was just giving you a friendly poke!! When i changed my settings accordingly at low RPMs the wideband is alot more steady and my part throttle was more crisp!,I have been messing with getting my AFR correct right down to the decimal point for a 70 degree day and i really noticed a alot more steady AFR reading after i messed with these tables.So it works.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi2Slo
Well I did some testing on this tonight with a car I've been tuning. Using the spreadsheet I calculated the degree difference between the stock exhaust valve closing point and the new cam's closing point and divided by 90 and added that value to the tables. The result was that the AFR, which I had dialed in to 14.6-14.7 at low rpms changed to 11.9-12.0. So after retuning the VE table, the part throttle values below about 3000 rpms changed from being upper 80's to 50's and 60's. Thus making a much cleaner VE table. Throttle response improved greatly and there was a definite noticeable increase in torque. Also, it being a 6 speed with 3.08 gears, it had a good bit of cam surge. The injector timing change cured that too. So it appears this is something to be seriously considered when tuning.
I experienced the exact same result on my truck last night. Better throttle response, smoother running, cam surge was also diminished, but since I didn't have time to redo VE, I was assuming some of the noticeable benefits were just because it was running rich all over the place, but it sounds like it's just going to get better after a VE re-learn. I'm sure glad through my 15-20 VE tuning sessions I've done that I never was very happy with the end result, because now I gotta do it AGAIN

I'm hoping for some much nicer VE tuning sessions this time, because before, I could never really find a happy medium in a few areas.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
no reason for name calling jesus he was just giving you a friendly poke!!
Sorry - I'm home sick today. Maybe it's the NyQuil - but it didn't read that way to me. Either way, I'm done talkin' to him.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi2Slo
Well I did some testing on this tonight with a car I've been tuning. Using the spreadsheet I calculated the degree difference between the stock exhaust valve closing point and the new cam's closing point and divided by 90 and added that value to the tables. The result was that the AFR, which I had dialed in to 14.6-14.7 at low rpms changed to 11.9-12.0. So after retuning the VE table, the part throttle values below about 3000 rpms changed from being upper 80's to 50's and 60's. Thus making a much cleaner VE table. Throttle response improved greatly and there was a definite noticeable increase in torque. Also, it being a 6 speed with 3.08 gears, it had a good bit of cam surge. The injector timing change cured that too. So it appears this is something to be seriously considered when tuning.
What you are stating makes complete sence with what I see on our industrial test engine. I think this is one of those things we have for years been trying to tune with idle air flow tables and we might have better results by work on this table first.

Wish I knew what the values in HP Tunners ment long ago. The custom PCM we are using on our project has that table defined in degrees of crankshaft rotation from 360 to -360 so it is much easier to understand then the way GM did it. Now we know so I bet the tunes will get even better.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Sorry - I'm home sick today. Maybe it's the NyQuil - but it didn't read that way to me. Either way, I'm done talkin' to him.
And here I was, about to invite you to my birthday....
Old 06-01-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Happy birthday! Can i go!?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

You bet! I used to go to Hobbs once a month for work. How's Hobbs these days? That looks like a big engine for a small town!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

The oil field is booming out here! Housing is scarce and very high for this area. Not to mention we have one of those nuclear inreichment plants (yes the kind we are mad that Iran is building) going in down the road, as well as a few nuclear waist storage facilities going in too. Unemployment here is still less then 4%! The only people here not working dont want to.

I moved to Odessa and have not yet changed my location. Back in Texas were I am from .

That is actually one of the smaller engines we use in the Gas Compression Fields. 10" bores and 10.5" strokes in a straight 8 cylinder config, we have some that are the same bore and stroke but in a V16 config. Up to 4500hp at 900rpm. The old iron from the 40's are what we call slow speed 2 stroke engines, with 14" bores and 14" strokes, running 300rpm, making over 2000hp. Pig Iron!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will be heading to San Antonio this weekend for my step sons graduation. Going to stay on the River Walk and take my mini Texican shildren to all the important historical sights. I drench them in Texas History every year, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Washington on the Brazos. My wife is a Daughter of the Repiblic member, three different links back to the O-300 (first 300 families that came to Texas with Stephen F Austin)! I am eligibale for the Son of the Republic, my line came in in 1845, but no famous Texans like my wife has.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
10 Second Club

Very cool, man. Very cool. Your kiddos should ace their History classes....lol!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

this thread has been informative.. i might start messing with injector timing to tame some of these wilder camshafts
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

A couple of parts that aren't clear to me:

1) In the spreadsheet, it calculates Shifted/Actual EVC/IVO/ISP EVC/ISP IVO. You take the difference between one of these values and your warm normal value and add/subtract it to the entire normal/makeup tables. So if that new value is 5.55, and the old value is 4.55 when the engine is warm, you add 1 to the entire table... is that correct? If so, which of those 8 calculated values do you use?

2) Does it matter whether you use seat or .050 timing? Does the spreadsheet give correct results with either timing method?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
bigger cam, bigger eoit number. you want to delay injection. yes the intake opens earlier but the exhaust also closes later. the exhaust closing event is the key. a stock cam intake opens and closes before the exhaust even opens so they can spray a closed intake valve.
Forgive me if this was already stated and I missed it, but isn't the end of the inj cycle supposed to be right before the intake valve opens? If you know the IVO degree, then you can find when to start the inj cycle......... Correct?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
bigger cam, bigger eoit number. you want to delay injection. yes the intake opens earlier but the exhaust also closes later. the exhaust closing event is the key. a stock cam intake opens and closes before the exhaust even opens so they can spray a closed intake valve.
Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Forgive me if this was already stated and I missed it, but isn't the end of the inj cycle supposed to be right before the intake valve opens? If you know the IVO degree, then you can find when to start the inj cycle......... Correct?
I think he meant to say the exhaust valve opens and closes completely before the intake opens.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JimMueller
A couple of parts that aren't clear to me:

1) In the spreadsheet, it calculates Shifted/Actual EVC/IVO/ISP EVC/ISP IVO. You take the difference between one of these values and your warm normal value and add/subtract it to the entire normal/makeup tables. So if that new value is 5.55, and the old value is 4.55 when the engine is warm, you add 1 to the entire table... is that correct? If so, which of those 8 calculated values do you use?

2) Does it matter whether you use seat or .050 timing? Does the spreadsheet give correct results with either timing method?
1. I have been using the EVC event when I've done it. Grant it, I've only done three cars using this, but each time I've taken the difference between the stock cam EVC and the new cam EVC, divided that by 90, and added it to the table, but only in the "running temp" cells.

2. I'm not sure what the difference would be using seat vs @.050 timing. I've always used the @.050 data. Maybe one of the other guys would be able to clarify that.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:18 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I adjust the timing all the time on many different size cam car's. Driveability will greatly improve as well as throttle response in lower rpm from it. You want to delay the end of injection pulse because the factory values have the end of injection before the exhaust valve is completely shut especially on a larger camshaft with some overlap. In stock form the fuel will get pulled in and right out the exhaust, this is why you have a horrible fuel smell on most cam'd car's that havent had the injector timing properly tuned. I use a certain formula to decide where to put the EOIT based on the camshaft, however it's kind of a trade secret that gives me an edge if you will haha. I will say that the formula for the EOIT is this (Thanks to Bluecat for his R&D on this info):

-784 + ((Boundary + Normal) * 90)

This gives the End Of Injection Timing in crank degrees ATDC compression stroke in a 720* engine cycle. Factory fbody values gives an EOIT of ~300*

There is alot of people's interpretation of this in his thread over on HPT forum's but you can sift through the posts and get an idea of what needs to be done and experiement to find the best results!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...highlight=EOIT
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a certain formula to decide where to put the EOIT based on the camshaft
That would be nice to try. haha
Old 05-19-2015, 06:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Can you refresh my memory on the specific steps you used to select your EOIT values? Are the EOIT & transient fueling dependent upon one another, or can I try your transient values without further adjusting my EOIT (I based my values on a really old Excel workbook posted by Scott fka Soundengineer)?As long as you have the MAF properly calibrated, VE properly calibrated & calibrated injector data these value in the Fuel > Transient screen will be ideal in any Gen3 PCM? No worries about different displacement or combinations of parts?

Last edited by JimMueller; 05-19-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default Found Problems with Tune

I deleted tune because it had problems. It was one of those cases where one change worked well and masked problems caused by some other changes I had made.

I do not feel I have figured out much about EOIT after all, except that it would be best if one could increase EOIT with RPM from 1500 through 4000 RPM as some after market PCMs allow one to do. This way you can move up the injection timing for a better idle without hurting WOT performance.

I did learn that filtering MAF above 400 RPM for dynamic air computations in my PCM instead of above 4000 RPM seems to give me a lot more steady AFR at various MAPs and throttle positions and a much steadier cold start idle.

Quick Reply: Anyone played with Injector Timing?