Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MegaSquirt Plug and Play project

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MegaSquirt Plug and Play project

I have a '98 Trans am with an LS1, and recently got the car running after buying it with a blown engine.

My prior vehicle was a '97 Lumina which I was both tuning with DHP and had my megasquirt running both fuel and spark in anticipation of boost which it never received.

Where I work Motec installs are an almost daily occurance, and I've been picking up some ideas from our tuner that I've been eager to implement in my new toy. In the past I would've went after the harness like Freddy Kruger, but I really wasn't happy with the result, although it was functional.

Coming from a car which I had "GOD" mode on to this firechicken has left me feeling pretty blind and helpless, which I hate. So on to it.

Any comments of "Why not tune the stock pcm" aren't necessary. I know what's there for the stock pcm and I just don't want to drop the coin on it right now. So I'm working with what I have.

My beginnings were to see what kind of room I had in the stock pcm location for the doubled up pcm connectors. It didn't look too bad, just a bit on the tight side. I'm going to see if I can mod the bracket to sink the pcm lower in the hole.

Then I cut the pcm out of the now junk Lumina and depinned the connectors. I found a roll of pins in the shop which work the same for Mopar pcms, and Motec's, as well. I'll need about 150 of them. Whew!

The pcm was next. After unbolting the case and separating the boards, the quickest and best way to liberate the pin headers from the boards was to go down the row with a cut off wheel, making sure to get both rows. Unbolt the heat sink clamps and you're home free.

Next, with wiring schematics in hand the pins need to be populated with the proper length of wire, and terminated with a gob of solder, then soldered to the decapitated pcm header.

This is going to take a while, but should yield a professional harness that will allow me to return the car to stock easily, and experiment with different configurations without violating the factory harness.

More pics coming.

Last edited by Monzsta; 08-03-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

This will be interesting.

And, can't wait to see more.

Very nice.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any info on wiring an ms3 extra to an ls1?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

What info do you need? It'd be similar to wiring an MS2 except you can have sequential control of the coils and injectors instead of batch firing them.

Here's some good reading.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/...quirt-install/

I'll have an update on this thread soon, work has completely consumed me leaving no time for my projects.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Where do you work that you get the joy of installing Motec on a daily basis?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

A little shop called Underground Racing. The pins are also found in AEM EMS kits.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Yeah thought so. Congrats on having a dream job. Shouldnt you be driving a 458 Italia or something????
Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TraMotorsports
Yeah thought so. Congrats on having a dream job. Shouldnt you be driving a 458 Italia or something????
Lol! I get to ride shotgun once in a great while in the cars but my position keeps me in the shop wrenching.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to visit the guys at megasquirt again and see if they could whip something up. Good guys there.

Quick Reply: MegaSquirt Plug and Play project