PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! h/c/i swap...no guages or fire...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! h/c/i swap...no guages or fire...

done a complete h/c/i swap on the car. everything's hooked up except for exhaust, tranny wires, driveline...just to get it fired. well everythings a go, but the gauges dont work. plug in the harness on the passenger side of car...no go. so if you wiggle with wires on the pcm it will 'click' and all the gauges will fire up. sometimes you have to hold the plug in to the pcm just right. even with no gauges i bumped the starter over. this was before the tune.

so we held the wires so the gauges will work. and then the tune loaded. but now.....still no fire...and no gauges.

the top plug on the pcm was fairly corroded..cleaned it. nothing
my battery terminals are good...battery's good.

my guess is the plugs that plug into the pcm....
i would say pcm problem but it took a tune......

guess i dont know where to point my finger...all grounds are hooked up....behind the head, frame rails...all fuses are good...relays good. idk what it is.

when you wiggle the wires (into pcm) you would hear a 'click' and the guages would work...and you had to hold em just right. now i cant get the sound and the guages dont work.

it turned over when the gauges didnt work...and now wont turn over at all....

chasing a ghost here and need it fixed....
Old 08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive read something about the 'gauges' fuse inside drivers door. that if it blows it will throw an 'abuse' code and the car wont start and the gauges dont work. but my fuse is good.

anyone know where to look???
Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quite literally talking out of.. well.. lets just say I have NOTHING to back this up save for a set of 317s I just took off my lq4..

did you forget a ground strap maybe on the heads or something?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Veteran

^ That's the only thing I can think of if the grounds on the back of the driver's side head. Those ground a LOT of stuff. ........ a LOT!.. But you said you got those, so I'm almost at a loss, other than possibly a bricked PCM from an accidental static charge from something. And if you are connecting/disconnecting the PCM, it's a good idea to have the battery completely disconnected and don't mess with the connector while anything is plugged in. -I avoid that **** like the plague.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i disconnect the battery while unplugging pcm wires...

UPDATE::: when i have the pcm sitting on the passenger strut. when i ground the BODY of the pcm on a strut bolt my gauges work and my fuel pump fires up....

i did get the bolt at the back of the head...ill check it tho. i know its the 2 wires with the 2 eyelets...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

update number 2::: got ignition!!!

i sat the pcm on the strut bolt...it was grounded. gauges work, fp works. i pulled the starter relay and jumped the 30 and 87 pins in it and it fired up...

i read a thread where someone did this, ill track it down, find what they did.

ill do more follow-up on this to post a fix, ive seen this problem posted before and never found many answers...