PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going nuts.....another in-depth tuner question..$50 Paypal whoever figures it out.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder if this is one of those 1 in a million instances where the ECM is the problem?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
yeah i would think so...i was just brainstorming....MAF might be the cause as well...hard to say with it being so random like you describe, and i'm not sure why it would throw O2 codes.
Yea, this issue is so strange because of just that..... its goes away and runs perfect after it's little 20-30 second freak out.

I think everyone can confirm it has something to do with when its transferring from open to closed loop.....and from what I've learned, if its correct, open closed loop uses the MAF "mainly" while its cold and then switches over to closed loop after 122*F and then the 02's take over. (Until you go WOT, then the MAF comes back and works with the 02 sensors....not sure if thats all correct).

Question is:
Will a bad MAF make that transfer from open to closed loop....cause that missing/stumbling for that short 20-30 seconds.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Banned

i wonder if this is one of those 1 in a million instances where the ECM is the problem?
Could be.....this computer is only 13 months old however.

Man what a pain in the *** that will be to diagnose. I was told there's really no way to see if a computer is bad besides putting one in and trying it. In that case I'll have to buy one, then have my current tune downloaded into it. Then install it and put it in. But if thats not it, now I have another computer I don't need.

And again.....if the computer was bad......wouldn't it always run like crap......OR can the computer do something when it starts causing the engine to run bad.....where it fixes it by switching to a back-up mode of some sort, like mine is doing? And when my missing/stumbling stops its not like a limp mode....the engine runs perfect, strong and normal. Even the gas mileage is normal. In limp mode or when the 02 sensors are bad, the computer purposely make its real rich and its very noticeable.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have an extra map sensor to swap it out with?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
In limp mode or when the 02 sensors are bad, the computer purposely make its real rich and its very noticeable.

This is not necessarily true. When there's issues with the O2s, the computer will do different things, depending on what issues the O2s have.

If the voltage is stuck low, the fuel trims will add fuel, trying to force the O2s into moving in a positive direction. If the trims max, they'll stick for a few, then go back to zero and start the same thing over. If the ocmputer realizes the O2s aren't going to move, it'll resort to open loop. Basically, just stop the trims completely.

All the guessing in this thread is really kinda silly. All you need to do is data log it while it's doing it, and there should be plenty of evidence to point you in one direction or another.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
This is not necessarily true. When there's issues with the O2s, the computer will do different things, depending on what issues the O2s have.

If the voltage is stuck low, the fuel trims will add fuel, trying to force the O2s into moving in a positive direction. If the trims max, they'll stick for a few, then go back to zero and start the same thing over. If the ocmputer realizes the O2s aren't going to move, it'll resort to open loop. Basically, just stop the trims completely.

All the guessing in this thread is really kinda silly. All you need to do is data log it while it's doing it, and there should be plenty of evidence to point you in one direction or another.
A friend has HP Tuners....will that be sufficient for the data logging while driving?

Anything specific to look for....or can we just post it all up on here?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Do you have an extra map sensor to swap it out with?
No. Can that be replaced without removing the intake?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might want to poke your O2 sensor heater wires
and be sure these are showing 12V across the pair.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
You might want to poke your O2 sensor heater wires
and be sure these are showing 12V across the pair.
Every wire gets poked...so 8 total between the two?

Engine running or off with key on?

Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend has HP Tuners....will that be sufficient for the data logging while driving?

Anything specific to look for....or can we just post it all up on here?

TPS, MAP, MAF, TEMP, IAT, SPARK ADV, KR, STFT, LTFT, B1S1, B2S1. Those are the most important ones. Start with that.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
TPS, MAP, MAF, TEMP, IAT, SPARK ADV, KR, STFT, LTFT, B1S1, B2S1. Those are the most important ones. Start with that.
Thanks...we'll do it Wednesday......if I don't leave town for work till next week.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Did you check for upstream leaks (post MAF - pre cylinder head)? Unmetered air and exhaust leaks are 2 of the most common reasons for lean codes. MAF failures, faulty injectors, wiring issues (poor grounds, cracked wires, etc.), and PCM failures are secondary IMO.

Assuming you have already ruled out any sort of leak, both upstream and downstream, I would presume you could rule out the injectors as well since it's not one side or the other. I doubt it's the PCM as well. So, try swapping the MAF and going over all of the wires/connections with an eagle eye.

The only time I've seen PCM-related issues is when water was draining off the windshield and landing directly on the PCM, which would cause stumbles in the rain. Never really heard of a random issue like this that only occurs during the short time after start up.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
Did you check for upstream leaks (post MAF - pre cylinder head)? Unmetered air and exhaust leaks are 2 of the most common reasons for lean codes. MAF failures, faulty injectors, wiring issues (poor grounds, cracked wires, etc.), and PCM failures are secondary IMO.

Assuming you have already ruled out any sort of leak, both upstream and downstream, I would presume you could rule out the injectors as well since it's not one side or the other. I doubt it's the PCM as well. So, try swapping the MAF and going over all of the wires/connections with an eagle eye.

The only time I've seen PCM-related issues is when water was draining off the windshield and landing directly on the PCM, which would cause stumbles in the rain. Never really heard of a random issue like this that only occurs during the short time after start up.
Yup..so many things cause missing/stumbling.........but when it clears up like clockwork each time I drive off.....there's got to be some fishy information coming from a sensor telling the PCM something uncool, then the PCM says, "well screw you, I'm gonna over ride that bad info.".......then it clears up....why do I get the weird stuff..... lol

Old 10-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Banned

Another question:

MAF:
Is it true that the MAF only works during cold start, up to 122*F, then turns off. Then it only comes back into play when you go WOT??

Or does it work at partial throttle and elsewhere?

Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

If it clears up at the same time every time, then the key thing to watch I think would be the ECT. And see what's enabled/disabled at that temperature.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Every wire gets poked...so 8 total between the two?

Engine running or off with key on?

No, just look at the heater wire pair at each of the front
sensors. Just to see if you've got a basic electrical problem.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
If it clears up at the same time every time, then the key thing to watch I think would be the ECT. And see what's enabled/disabled at that temperature.
Whats ECT? Coolant Temp sensor............

I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor last week, no change.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

ECT is engine coolant temperature

I didn't know you had access to HP Tuners....a log would help us diagnose the problem greatly.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

ECT is engine coolant temperature

I didn't know you had access to HP Tuners....a log would help us diagnose the problem greatly.
Yea, a tech at the dealership here in town has it and said he'll do a full check on my car, but he can't till Thursday or Friday and I have to leave for Dallas tomorrow through next week Wednesday for simulator training.

I'll have to wait till late next week I guess. At least its driveable.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Whats ECT? Coolant Temp sensor............

I replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor last week, no change.

Engine Coolant Temperature, this changes many different parameters. I wasn't saying replace the temp sensor, I was saying monitor what temperature it is and see what it is at the time of the "freak out"

Quick Reply: Going nuts.....another in-depth tuner question..$50 Paypal whoever figures it out.