Sponsored by:

I think I killed my PCM

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I killed my PCM

Let me start by saying I was an idiot.

The battery on my car was dead and it was dark outside.
I tried to jump start it and..... *cringe* I hooked up the cables backwards and tried starting the car. Yep!

After realizing what I had done, I hooked up the cables correctly and the car started. But now all the lights on the dash are on.

Service Engine Soon
Service Vehicle Soon
ABS
TRAC Off
seat belt light

But the car is drivable, and everything seems to work, including ABS.
I have a cheap OBD2 code reader and no codes come up, so obviously my code reader isn't capable of reading all codes. Either that or the memory on the PCM is fried. By the looks of it I'm sure the PCM is probably damaged.

Either way, what do I do? I can take the car to a shop and have it diagnosed, but before I do that is there anything easy I can do to determine what got fried, or determine if the PCM has to be replaced?

The car is a 2000 TransAm WS6. I live in Southern California (Orange County). I'd prefer to take the car to a Corvette shop if possible. There are several of them around here but I don't know if any of them are honest.

Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

You could try to just unhook the battery for awhile and hook back up.No jumpstarting!!!!! lol.See if it does anything before you break out the wallet at a shop.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Yeah I tried that. I left it disconnected for several days. No dice. Lights are still on.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check all of your fuses. Only light the PCM deals with in the dash is the Check engine and service soon. ABS, brake and others are controlled thru the BCM.

Quick Reply: I think I killed my PCM