PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners are you using narrow-bands to tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I saw on here somewhere were a sponsor was modifing the factory PCm some how. I know they open it up and ad or change some things to it. I do not remember what the added hardware did for you or if it added WB control to the factory PCM.

You are right, it would be nice if we could utilize a WB with the factry computer. I only wish someone made an aftermarket PCM that would drive the factory dash. I know of several that will or do control the 4l60's and 4l80's but none that will also control the dash. That is they only reason I have not gotten away from the factory PCM even though I should. I have not found a solution for the Dash yet.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always use a pair of Innovate LC-1s and use their narrow band output that takes the wideband signal and compresses it to simulate a factor narrow band. Would work just fine.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You can use them to log WOT but I would only suggest NA applications. Should most people -no. You have to know what your looking at. A tuner should use a wideband to verify/set everything.

For my personal NA cars I've always just gone by the nrrowbands. When checked on the dyno the A/F's were correct.
What Slow says, I have used them also for wot when no wide band was available, If you know how to use them at wot you can be pretty dam close.Like said, I use them basically for NA applications only, because you can be within .2 to .3 of your desired A/F.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great answers guys i really appreciate it
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 AM
FormerVendor

A common misperception of narrow-bands are that they work at or around 14.7 to 1 AFR and it has nothing to do with that. GM uses narrow bands for E85 vehicles with the Stoich of 9.7 to 1. The narrow band have a shorter area that they can control the fueling. This narrow band if about .5 up and down from the set switching Stoich. I didn’t say it couldn’t monitor the EQ of the AFR. If you know how the O2 will respond to the target EQ then you can use a narrow band it just won’t control the fuel, but you’re in PE anyway
Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you add enough fuel in the VE table, it will sure control the fuel, and the same in the MAF.

I believe the term "PE hacking" comes from something of the like.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gectek
If you add enough fuel in the VE table, it will sure control the fuel, and the same in the MAF.

I believe the term "PE hacking" comes from something of the like.
I am not sure what you mean by that.
I was refering to a DTC like this
The PCM detects that the HO2S 2 signal voltage remains below 550 mV during power enrichment (PE) mode and the Air Fuel Ratio parameter is below 12.5:1 for more than 25 seconds.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CalEditor@PCMCalibrators
If you know how the O2 will respond to the target EQ then you can use a narrow band it just won’t control the fuel, but you’re in PE anyway
I guess I read this a different way. I saw that as you saying that in PE using the narrow band as an input and changing the fueling in the VE or MAF table will not change it.

But by that you meant that the computer would not use the narrow band to change fuel trims I assume. But I guess a better way to put it would be you are in closed loop anyway so the narrow band will not control the fuel trims.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...9805#post69805
Old 12-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

A NB tells you only 2 things, you are richer than stoich or leaner than stoich. Nothing more. Doesn't matter if you are running Nitromethane with a 2:1 AFR. Doesn't matter, the way a NB works it doesn't care. Diesel would be fine, it just doesn't matter. It only tells you rich or leaner than stoich.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 PM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any competant tuner would tell you HELL NO! Would you ask for a dyno tune without a wideband? Spend the extra $250 and buy a wideband. Your already in atleast that even if you purchased your tuning suite used. Protect your $1,500+ motor ya goofs, seriously!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

You sure he was using stock narrowband? Widebands can be hooked up to read on hp tuners through stock computer.

Quick Reply: Tuners are you using narrow-bands to tune?