PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley dominator efi ,any good???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I have heard and seen Holley is pretty good with their tech support.

Much better than BS3 or Fast.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SSS,I paid $2100 including 3bar map and Bosch wide band!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry SSZ,autocorrect on my phone!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had no problems with tech help. There seems to always be someone avalible to answer a ? within a couple hours most of the time.

Tim
Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Good thread! I am looking to do a ls swap in the future(5.3 or 6.0) and I am torn between Holley and fast. It seems to me Holley is a good system that is cheaper and more complete where as the Fast system is super user friendly and from what I have seen slightly more popular. Please give us some detailed info on install, tuning and end result(maybe a install thread). Holley is a very proven company and I no you are going to love this system. Please keep us informed.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Romansroad828
Good thread! I am looking to do a ls swap in the future(5.3 or 6.0) and I am torn between Holley and fast. It seems to me Holley is a good system that is cheaper and more complete where as the Fast system is super user friendly and from what I have seen slightly more popular. Please give us some detailed info on install, tuning and end result(maybe a install thread). Holley is a very proven company and I no you are going to love this system. Please keep us informed.
if you do a Google search, you can find quite a few install threads on various vehicles...
I also suggest going over to Yellow Bullet and reading...lots of threads on there...

and the Holley system...is every bit as user friendly as the FAST system....and the Holley has a better Interface in my opinion(as well as many others)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bmf5150
SSS,I paid $2100 including 3bar map and Bosch wide band!
You mind if I ask you where you got your system?

Thanks in Advance

Tony
Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 PM
8 Second Club

I paid right at 2200 for my system... thru a buddy, at cost plus a few dollars to round the total up to a nice even # so he didnt have to make any change when I paid in cash..LOL

so expect to pay a little bit more for a system like mine thru any normal dealer
of course..if you are buddies with somebody, you might be able to get a good deal on it as well.

554-114
Dominator ECU

558-308
Main Power Harness

558-102
LS1 Harness

558-200
Injector Harness for Bosch Style Connector

558-401
J2A Aux Harness

558-402
J2B Aux Harness

554-100 (x2)
NTK Wideband O2
Old 02-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

I am leaning towards this system, but still have a couple questions. I'm doing a LS3 conversion into my 67 El - Camino. Are the harness's you get with the system long enough to mount the controller under the dash? I see there is a 15 ft unterminated harness which would prob suit my needs doing the conversion but that seems like a hassle and half. Thanks in advance.

Tony
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tonyturbo42
I am leaning towards this system, but still have a couple questions. I'm doing a LS3 conversion into my 67 El - Camino. Are the harness's you get with the system long enough to mount the controller under the dash? I see there is a 15 ft unterminated harness which would prob suit my needs doing the conversion but that seems like a hassle and half. Thanks in advance.

Tony
for me, the harness made it just barely long enough to get inside my dash and onto a custom bracket that is made from the passenger side airbag holder...I mounted my Holley Dominator there, and my TCI 6x Trans Controller there

recently, they have added another foot to the Main Power harness...but its still not really enough to get to the battery...especially if you have a rear battery relocation going on....Just plan on buying wire and extending the main power harness.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just installed a system in dads 71 chevelle and put a hole for the harness right behind where the distributor would be. More than enough harness to mount it anywhere in the dash.

Tim
Old 02-12-2012, 02:23 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Soundengineer, what are those two auxiliary harnesses for? I am referring to 558-401 and 402. Honestly i was expecting to see these systems being more money. If i can get one thru my friend for around 2 grand then i will be in. All the other **** i have planned will have to be put on hold till funds are available.
So another probably stupid question, if i were to change injectors from say 30 lbs to 80 lbs i wouldnt have to run off to the dyno immediately? It will be able to learn and get me close enough to drive the car to the dyno? **** if this is the case i am sold!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSZ
Soundengineer, what are those two auxiliary harnesses for? I am referring to 558-401 and 402. Honestly i was expecting to see these systems being more money. If i can get one thru my friend for around 2 grand then i will be in. All the other **** i have planned will have to be put on hold till funds are available.
So another probably stupid question, if i were to change injectors from say 30 lbs to 80 lbs i wouldnt have to run off to the dyno immediately? It will be able to learn and get me close enough to drive the car to the dyno? **** if this is the case i am sold!

with the main harness you only get 4 ins and outs...
if you want the holley to control your fans, there's 2 outputs tied up right there..fuel pump adds another one
so 3 outputs tied up with stock stuff...
the J2A/B harnesses are more ins and outs
if you want to do a dual wideband,you have to buy the J2A harness...
I actually have about 20 ins and outs total for my setup, so I need the extra harnesses...and I'm still adding things as money permits..

at a minimum, with the dominator, I recommend you get the J2A to have a second wideband...one per engine bank is a minimum in my opinion
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 PM
8 Second Club

also, with the holley, all fueling is done in Lbs/hr... so injector changes mean minimal fueling changes, and you dont have to run off for a retune...
once you have already determined what best spark and fuel ratios are for your combo...
you just drive and let it relearn the fuel

I went from a 36lb to an 83 lb...my "VE" table stayed basically the same...LBS/HR is still the same no matter what size injector I use...
I could put in 160lb injectors and my car would still want 306 lbs/hr at 7000 rpm WOT..

note...injector rated flow and total flow is a different value....one injector vs all 8
My Injectors Flow 83# at 3bar(43.5psi)
which means at my fuel pressure (4 bar 58psi) they are 95.8# injectors
my total Fuel flow potential with these injectors is 766.7 lbs/hr
Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Wow. Your quick. LOL. Ok. I like the idea of the two widebands. So again, if i wanted to change injectors or cam or something like that, this thing is gonna still learn itself whats closely required for fueling and timing? I guess i ask cause i am amazed. Also, years ago my friend washed down an engine with a different computer system, an old accel unit. THere was no tuners around then. So obviously i worry about that but if this gets you close to be able to at least drive the car without worrying about washing it down or leaning it out and melting it, then holy crap i am sold. Then, when i am ready to start leaning on it i can take it for fine tuninig. Is this the case?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Remember what i said about quick. Your second response was done before i made the last post. LOL. Damn. This is too good to be true.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:55 PM
8 Second Club

it only learns for Fueling...and that assumes you have set up the closed loop parameters to do so...

Timing must be set manually...

its good enough in closed loop that you can use just any "Base Configuration" and it will start, run, and learn fueling quick enough that you will not have issues with washing down the cylinders unless there is some other major problem

I'll put it this way...I started with this
I sprayed a 100 1st stage, 150 second stage dry shot of nitrous...with a guess at the fueling...

on the First pass....
the first stage I was off by about 5%...it corrected Just fine on its own
the second stage I was off by about 20%...it also corrected just fine...
within 0.1 AFR of my commanded AFR for the entire run...

if thats not good enough, then I dont know what is...

they key is to set up closed loop to be on all the time for your first start up...then to set learning to start when you are up to operating temperature...
it will correct when cold, but wont remember till hot...once you get the VE table close, you can go back in and work on Cold temp correction factors and IAT correction factors so that your cold fueling will be spot on as well..
Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, thats great. I have no problem with the timing. I was more concerned with the fueling. And it reads like you were taking a really good chance with that second stage. IF it corrected then, i should have no problems. I am not pushing like that yet. I have worked for GM, Ford, Caterpillar and other companies. I am a tech. I have worked with LOTS of different systems from traction control for locomotives to car stuff to rock trucks and so on. This one seems the most exciting to me and the easiest from what i read. I like the fact i can do mods and not be stuck in a jail waiting to do a new tune.

Thank you very much for your help in answering questions i probably should have known. Well, pretty much did know just couldnt believe. I am excited.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soundengineer
for me, the harness made it just barely long enough to get inside my dash and onto a custom bracket that is made from the passenger side airbag holder...I mounted my Holley Dominator there, and my TCI 6x Trans Controller there

recently, they have added another foot to the Main Power harness...but its still not really enough to get to the battery...especially if you have a rear battery relocation going on....Just plan on buying wire and extending the main power harness.
Thanks thats exactly the information I was looking for.

Tony
Old 02-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I paid right at 2200 for my system... thru a buddy, at cost plus a few dollars to round the total up to a nice even # so he didnt have to make any change when I paid in cash..LOL

so expect to pay a little bit more for a system like mine thru any normal dealer
of course..if you are buddies with somebody, you might be able to get a good deal on it as well.

554-114
Dominator ECU

558-308
Main Power Harness

558-102
LS1 Harness

558-200
Injector Harness for Bosch Style Connector

558-401
J2A Aux Harness

558-402
J2B Aux Harness

554-100 (x2)
NTK Wideband O2
Hey Speed, You know what NTK part number the Holley system is using? Their has to be a compatible NTK unit and I'm sure they have to be cheaper then going through Holley. Thanks in advance.

Tony

Quick Reply: Holley dominator efi ,any good???