PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is LC-1 plug and play for HP tuners pro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default is LC-1 plug and play for HP tuners pro?

just as title states. can i just purchase the LC-1 with the cord it comes with and plug it in to my hp tuner pro?

i just want a inexpensive and fairly accurate portable wideband
Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You're obviously going to have to install it and wire it to the PCM. Then you can plug in your HPtuners and read the signal.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redtan
You're obviously going to have to install it and wire it to the PCM. Then you can plug in your HPtuners and read the signal.
so what do most guys do that tune multiple cars? what do ya'll use as a portable wideband?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to get the offsets right for the tool you are using in HPT.
Thats pretty easy to find in a search on the HPT forum.
I would get something that displays on the tool also as a sanity check.
For an Innovate an LM2.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

so what do most guys do that tune multiple cars? what do ya'll use as a portable wideband?
Innovate LM2 is pretty nice and it's literally plug and play, no special wiring needed.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Sure, you can use an LC-1 to get accurate WB O2 readings on your HP Tuners device. The first thing that you will need is an HP Tuners Pro to collect the data from the LC-1, so if you have a basic, you can stop reading right now.
If you have a Pro, you should have downloaded and saved the stock tune, and licensed your HP Tuner device to the ECM. This will tell the Tuner what software it is working with and set the available parameters (not all functions in HP Tuners work with all ECM software). Open your VCM Scanning software and open the main configuration, which may still be the Imperial Default, or you may have made some changes and saved the .config file as something else. On the bottom left, right click on "EIO Input 1" and select "Insert Input". This will bring up a list of possible inputs for the left side of the Tuner device. Click on the "+" on the left of "Wide Band O2" in the list, and another list will drop down. Select "Wide Band O2 - LC1" by double clicking on it. Nothing will seem to happen, but when you close the selection page by clicking on the X on the top right, you will see the EIO Input 1 has been replaced by Wide Band O2 -LC1.
Now go to your LC-1 and, using Log Works, set the output to the default factory settings. Then set the output rate to 6 times per second, it interfaces with the HP Tuner more accurately that way. Now calibrate it in free air (if you haven't already) and install it.
Hook up the red wire from the LC-1 to a switched 12 volt signal that will reliably come on every time you start the car (running the car with the LC-1 switched off will ruin the WB O2 sensor). the brown wire is your wideband data from the LC-1, and it goes to the top input in the side of the MPVI device (if you set it up in the software as EIO Input 1). Twist the blue and white together and attach them to the 5th or 6th pin down on the MPVI device - they are both grounds.
You will now be able to accumulate wideband O2 data from your LC-1 while you collect other data from your OBD-II port, and it will show up on your readouts. You can now use this input in your PIDs to create formulas that will easily tell you how far off you are from your commanded AFR and give you a correction factor - but that's a whole different post.
Jon
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nexus9 that was the answer i was looking for. OK so i can hook up the Lc-1 to HPT. from my reading it seems like the LC-1 is most often used as a permanently installed Wideband. are there any other units on the market that are easier to install than the LC-1 but are still portable? or am i totally missing the boat on this
Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Well, remember, the "LC-1" part of it is just an interpreter for the signal from the wideband O2 sensor to the HP Tuners MPVI. It just translates the WB O2 signal into voltage - normally from 0 to 5 volts. It's actually just a small box, with a lot of wiring. I use it as a tool, not a permanent installation, coil up the wire and just zip tie it to the top of the battery or something while I'm working on a particular car. When the car's tuned, I remove it, along with the wideband O2 sensor, re-install the stock narrowband sensor, and remove the LC-1 from the car. The only reason you would want to permanently install it would be if you were going to monitor your O2 readings with a gauge, but after it's tuned, why?

Jon

Quick Reply: is LC-1 plug and play for HP tuners pro?