PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received my HP Tuners package today

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The notebook hardware is fine. P3 1.3GHz machine with a 1GB of RAM. I think it's the USB to serial converter. It has a microsoft signed driver and I don't understand why it shouldn't work.

Per HP Tuners suggestion I went looking for PCMCIA to serial adapter but the are not cheap. I'm going to try updating the PC's BIOS and see if they might have fixed a bug. That was one of the suggestions on the USB - Serial adapters site.

I was able to download the File once but not a second time. I did try checking and unchecking the "high Speed" option with no luck.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Screen shots are on HPTuners site under the Products tab,
at least enough general stuff to go on. If you want something
specific I could probably pull it up and capture it but it all looks
pretty uniform and like what they show (though I haven't been
messing with the pretty stuff, just table-poking for the most
part.

I haven't pushed the limit of timing yet with the HPTuners.
With the Predator I was able to get just to 30.0 on the edge
of ping. Going more would require me to mis-fuel it (by the
O2s I'm already at 900-920mV, likely into the 12.X:1 range).
One of my plans (or, at least, a notion that won't go away)
is to do a sparse matrix of fuel / spark combos to see if you
end up better off with lean, low advance or fat, high advance.
I'm sure there's a sweet spot and sure I haven't found it and
even more sure I have no clue about the right fundamental
philosophy.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt the main-body PC hardware is the problem in your case,
but probably in the case of my 100MHz TooCheapa the processor
isn't up to unloading the serial data buffer as fast as the data
comes in.

In your case you have the serial data getting stacked up waiting
for the USB to unload it, USB is not a real-time system as I understand
but is very needy and has a very variable response time; probably
tripping up somehow. Why it wouldn't go at low data rate I dunno.
But I think there is two-way handshaking traffic that has to be
maintained and the USB has a one-track mind. And the data rates
it's being asked to handle are so much higher than other loggers
that I don't think other peoples' ATAP and EFILive experiences are
going to be relevant to us.

I don't like exposing my "good" laptop to the hazards of the garage
(though iit's half the speed of yours and obsolete, I'm protective of
it). I think I'm gonna go pawn-shop and eBay fishing for a 500MHz-range
P-III machine with a serial port, strip it bare, and reload it for automotive
work.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fyi w/laptops... not sure if he's still selling them but I picked one up from here

http://forum.fbody.us/showthread.php?t=25791

Has worked fine for my LS1 Edit (which will be replaced soon w/HP Tuners), atap and other misc apps... it's durable, strong and in my case the battery has about 45 mins of life which isn't bad for a used laptop....
Old 03-24-2004, 03:32 PM
Launching!

This should work with the hardware I have. I'll try to figure it out before I go and buy new hardware for it.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokemup
I have never used ls1edit and therefore cannot tell you if additional tables are present. Go to HP Tuners website and read which tables are present and compare those against ls1edit's.
I said in my original post that what is on the HP Tuners website is the same as what Edit has!!. I'm sure Magnus has posted a while back that there will be many more tables etc on offer, it would be nice to see what they are before purchasing.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

how about you folks give us a demo program (gut out all the code that does anything, just GUI), that would be a big big seller thing to me.

seeing screen shots and dickin around with a DEMO (non functional even) would be a big plus in my eyes. ls1edit sucks in this respect. Can't imagine it would be hard to gut all the main functionality out and leave the gui eh?

Even better, make it so it can load other peoples tunes in (again no functionality).

whatcha think hptuner guys? Throwin you some good marketing ideas.

I'd buy right now if i could have a copy of the software to look over the gui. i know ls1edit isn't gonna do this.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Launching!

I have seen and used GM's engineering software that has EVERYTHING in it that the PCM has... Don't ask where and why as I honestly can't tell.... but LS1 edit has almost all of the tables you would want to use. There are tons of other tables ranging from things like air conditioning setting, to cruise control, etc...
Mostly things that you would never need to use, but they are there. I think Carputing and HP tuners are giving users the tools they need to get the job done. Too many extras that are useless would possibly make the sofware intimidating to a new user.
I can tell you from what I saw and was able to do with the GM stuff you aren't going to find that magical table that will add big HP to your car.
The GM stuff is pretty neat, but very manual in operation. You have to checksum all 8 segments of the program and assemble them before you can load it. The carputing and HP tuner stuff does this for you automatically. Besides getting your hands on the GM stuff is next to impossible and I feel fortunate that I have even had the chance to play with it.
Later,
bryan
Old 03-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Launching!

I found a way to make the software work for me. The jury is still out on whether this is due to my USB to serial converter but here goes. I have to run the scanner software first, issue a connect command to the PCM, quit the scanner program, then open the flash program and read / write away.

I went in and changed a couple of things, I changed the rev limiter, the idle speed up a bit, changed my 1-2 shift point, and changed the speed limiter from 160 to 255 (in my dreams).

Regardless of the bugs I'm having with connecting I think I have a work around I can live with (cross my fingers). The general feel of the program is really nice and you have access to most everything you need. I can't think of anything else I would need. Now I need to sit down and figure out what everything means.

My biggest complaint is the logging feature. It has no way to select which parameters you can log and the log files do not have a TIMESTAMP (man that bugs me).

If your considering edit I think you should buy HP Tuners. From what I've seen of edit you can do everything and more with HP Tuners. Don't forget the re-sale part factor. You should be able to use it and if you decide to sell your car you can sell the cable software and recover most of your money. With edit you have to pay and pay and pay. My 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails Received my HP Tuners package today-scanner1.jpg   Received my HP Tuners package today-editor.jpg  
Old 03-24-2004, 10:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I know there are no docs on the scan tool yet.. should be in there very shortly (within a week) .. and our docs will be public as well.. but all you have to do is on the table display, either hit the insert key or delete key, or right click a cell.

I am working on a solution for your flash error. It's in testing right now.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Magnus
I know there are no docs on the scan tool yet.. should be in there very shortly (within a week) .. and our docs will be public as well.. but all you have to do is on the table display, either hit the insert key or delete key, or right click a cell.

I am working on a solution for your flash error. It's in testing right now.
You da man.

Timestamp???
Old 03-24-2004, 10:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Timestamp is in progress. ps. I sent you an updated exe for you to try that may fix your comm error for the reads.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Magnus
Timestamp is in progress. ps. I sent you an updated exe for you to try that may fix your comm error for the reads.
I tried the new exe and it seems to work. I installed it, rebooted the machine. Then went to the car and tried to read the VCM without going to the scanner first and it worked right away. Of course my battery on notebook was low so I couldn't mess around with it anymore but I will try again to tomorrow to double check.

You might want to send the new exe to someone like jimmyblue to make sure the change didn't break anything that was already working for him.

BTW... thanks for the timestamp feature, please put it in msec so the time between data logs is meaningful.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

Besides the cpu itself keeping up, very old machines may still have the old 16450-compatible unbuffered uart. "Newer" machines (still very old iron) have a 16550-compatible buffered uart. This will make a difference when trying to stream a lot of data. Also, the old slow machines probably don't have much ram which is going to hurt too.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

yah some folks don't realize there are options in winblowz to enable/disable the 16550 and change its priority/level of queueing as well in the old win98 which i'm assuming you are not running nt/2k/xp on that miserable pos.

go down to the homeboy shopping network and score yourself a p4 laptop for like $150. lol.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:41 PM
Teching In

is it just me or does HPTuners interface look easier?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright guys im interested in this product. But I have never used such a thing in my life before. I know everyone had to start from scratch so how do I learn how to tune my own car w/o destroying it? I am going to do a cam install in a few weeks and I hate to drive 2-3 hrs just to get the car properly tuned.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:36 AM
Launching!

After looking at all the screenshots available, I can't tell if the ability to do spark advance with MAP kPa vs. RPM is in there. Are we still limited to Gms/Cyl vs. RPM?
Old 04-18-2004, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Scott Turvey
After looking at all the screenshots available, I can't tell if the ability to do spark advance with MAP kPa vs. RPM is in there. Are we still limited to Gms/Cyl vs. RPM?
the spark tables are not refernced to MAP, they are g/cyl - thats the way it works. g/cyl is a more accurate measure of load than MAP.
Old 04-18-2004, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gameover
the spark tables are not refernced to MAP, they are g/cyl - thats the way it works. g/cyl is a more accurate measure of load than MAP.

I won't argue with that, just wondered if the facility to do the translation was available.