PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ODOMETER resets everytime i start??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODOMETER resets everytime i start??

I heard there is a TSB issued for my car? anyway to fix this besides dealer repair??
tia J
Old 03-26-2004, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

Odometer or tripometer
Old 03-26-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
Odometer or tripometer
trip odometer. also all my guages swing back and forth and then jumo to there appropriate levels. i was told that it was a surge to the cluster that made it do this.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the TSB#,may have to stop by the local dealer.They should let you look at it.
Technical Service Bulliten # 99-08-49-009,trip odometer-automaticaly resets to zero
Tony
Old 03-26-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by IMKMFAST
Here is the TSB#,may have to stop by the local dealer.They should let you look at it.
Technical Service Bulliten # 99-08-49-009,trip odometer-automaticaly resets to zero
Tony
"They should let you look at it." I'm not understanding what you mean by this. Is there a way to fix this, without taking it to the dealer for half-assed repair work? What exactly causes this, because mine does it to? It only has 22,000 miles on it even though it's a 99'.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:45 PM
FormerVendor

Are you sure you battery termials are clean and making good contact
Old 03-26-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sawedoff
"They should let you look at it." I'm not understanding what you mean by this. Is there a way to fix this, without taking it to the dealer for half-assed repair work? What exactly causes this, because mine does it to? It only has 22,000 miles on it even though it's a 99'.
This problem shows up in '99 models only.The cluster has to be replaced.No there is not a way to fix this yourself,the problem is in the software that is apart of the cluster.Stop by the dealer,tell them your problem,and ask for assistance if your car is out of warranty.

Last edited by IMKMFAST; 03-26-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:23 PM

This problem shows up in '99 models only.The cluster has to be replaced.No there is not a way to fix this yourself,the problem is in the software that is apart of the cluster.Stop by the dealer,tell them your problem,and ask for assistance if your car is out of warranty.
By "cluster" you are refering to the entire guage assembly that simply pulls out? So all I need is to replace the entire guage assembly? I bought my car new, and because of what the car is, it did not come with a warranty. It really made no difference to me at the time. I was just glad to get one the way I wanted, because Ford was asking too much for a Cobra R Mustang.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just the battery.... Mine used to do this, as well as MANY others, just change the battery and you will be set. Does it seem like it does it more often on cold starts? If so, definitly the battery, same EXACT symptoms for me and a battery change fixed it all.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

"By "cluster" you are refering to the entire guage assembly that simply pulls out? So all I need is to replace the entire guage assembly? I bought my car new, and because of what the car is, it did not come with a warranty."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes,but simplest things first,be sure to check the battery connections.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It's just the battery.... Mine used to do this, as well as MANY others, just change the battery and you will be set. Does it seem like it does it more often on cold starts? If so, definitly the battery, same EXACT symptoms for me and a battery change fixed it all.
It does this on warm & cold starts. The car has the original battery that came OEM. I did notice this after my experiment on relocating it to the rear. I gave up on it when this started and never pursued it further. Thank you bunches!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:59 PM

"By "cluster" you are refering to the entire guage assembly that simply pulls out? So all I need is to replace the entire guage assembly? I bought my car new, and because of what the car is, it did not come with a warranty."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes,but simplest things first,be sure to check the battery connections.
I will do that. It's the simple details that you sometimes can overlook.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

everytime is start it does it....i am taking it to the dealer, but will they have to mess with the PCM at all? the battery was loose but there wasn't any arching on the AC canister from the battery rockin back and forth so it must be internal. also i changed the battery last year, so i think its fine.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 99 Z28 and had the same problem. Dealer replaced the cluster when it was still under warranty. The problem is in the cluster and it has to be replaced by a dealer. They told me they had to order it with my mileage programmed in.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my cluster was replaced under warranty years ago and its been fine since.