PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring one fan off the stock PCM and harness.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default wiring one fan off the stock PCM and harness.

I removed the stock fans, and replaced them with one 12v SPAL fan. But having trouble getting it to work. My 2001 camaro, stock PCM, stock engine harness. The stock setup is not a normal 12v off the relay (after they trigger the fan to kick on) to the fan, and the other wire a chassie ground. There's 3 fan relays for both stock fans? I'm not tuning my car, its not that. I believe my turn on temps are 185 fan one 190 fan 2 of somthing like that. But with the car running idling it gets up to temp. And I have 14v going to one of the 2 stock wires for the fans, when I hook my New single fan to the stock wires id don't get power? I'm not a wiring guy, but heard somthing about the PCM triggers the fans thu the ground?
Either wire have 14 volts checked on my mulit meter with the car running at warm, But when I coneect to one the them both wires loose power? No spark, the cars running so can'r hear if the (FAN relay) is clicking. I Hooked one wire off my fan direct t chassis ground, but still putting the other wire to either stock fan 1 or 2 thats has 14v looses power when you plug into to?
Do I need link up the wires for fan1 and fan2 together (black/back, other grey. blue I think the other is)?

I dont have AC, so think thats messing with it, for the 3 relays should work, Hi/Low and 2 fans? Its just more then the basics I know about?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming it's the same as an 02;

the three relays work together to put the 2 factory fans in series when the low setting is active and parallel when the high speed is active. Do you have a light blue, gray, white, and black wire going to the factory fans? If so, connect the light blue to the fan positive and ground the fan negative to the chassis. This should activate your fan when the low speed is selected by the ecu. Make sure to tape off the other wires or just remove relay 2 and 3.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock wires are this

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...n/DSC02900.jpg

I found this
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ngfansbu6.gif/

what happends if I Y the stocks, to my one fan?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

I suppose you could, but I don't think it provides any type of benefit. I suppose if you want the extra current capacity of both fuses together than you can wire the white and light blue together and tune the hi speed to come on before the low speed, but i'm not sure that'll work. I would suggest grabbing the blue wire that is in your hand per the picture and wiring that to the positive side of the fan, and ground the negative to the chassis. This shouldn't require any tune changes. The fan will just kick on with the low speed. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

ya it donst work that easy. when either fan1 or fan2 stock wire had 14V (car running at temp) if you hook them to power the fan, the lose power???

I htihnk you have to Y them? or jumper somthing of the other relay(s)? Somthing is going on with the relays they kick each other off?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used the high speed trigger to signal my fans, will be the same if you wanna use it to signal a single fan as well using the high speed trigger

heres a cut and paste from a pm i sent to someone. might help

there are two individual circuits, one for each fan, but the wiring is identical for both.

use a 30amp 4 or 5 pin relay, if you use a 5 pin, the center pin 87A is unused. Pin 30 is the power from the battery with a 30amp inline fuse, pin 87 is power to the positive side of the fan, negative side of the fan goes to a chassis ground. Pin 86 goes to a constant 12V signal, I used the aux 12v right by the fuse box, and Pin 85 goes to the switch ground high speed fan signal from the pcm. This is a dark blue wire from the pcm that splits into two dark blue wires under the fuse box, one goes to fan relay 2 and the other to fan relay 3. I tapped into those using a spade connector in the fuse box so I didnt have to cut the factory harness and the factory relays will be gone anyways, that way there is one for each circuit.

The you can use the High Speed Fan setting to determine when you want them to come on.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Isn't there a way I just use the stock relays, without adding one? I think I have to ground some wires on a used relay but not sure?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ingfansbu6.gif

whats would happen if you Y the blue and white to the fan and Y the black and gray?

Its to late to let my car run on the driveway for 10mins to heat up, right now.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Here is the wiring diagram, maybe it will shed some light on what you are trying to do.

Good luck.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails wiring one fan off the stock PCM and harness.-cooling-fans.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by studderin
ya it donst work that easy. when either fan1 or fan2 stock wire had 14V (car running at temp) if you hook them to power the fan, the lose power???

I htihnk you have to Y them? or jumper somthing of the other relay(s)? Somthing is going on with the relays they kick each other off?
I just performed the same thing on my car. I have the light blue wire going to the positive of the fan, and the other side of the fan grounded to the chassis. That provides current to the fan when the ecu selects the low speed. Have you tried this yet? I'm not sure why it would be any different on your car unless a relay is malfunctioning. You can use the high speed if you wish, but then you will need to connect the white wire to the positive side of the fan and ground the negative to the chassis. I don't see any reason why you need to tie the two together. Here is a modified diagram of what you would be doing.

Note the yellow line which shows the flow of current when the low speed relay is activated by the ecu. You can do the same thing with the high speed if you wish, but the activation temperature will most likely be higher depending on how the ecu is programmed. If this is not working I would check the relays and the fuses, because it is really just this easy.
Attached Thumbnails wiring one fan off the stock PCM and harness.-ls1coolingfansbu6.gif  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ya, I know the what all the wires do now. I thought tired it both ways, feeding the fan off 409 and 504 (that had 12v), and the other wire form the stock fan (grey or black) but that goes to relal3. And the fan right to ground direct, but I might have missed one of the setup, or I gound have a bad relay or somthing up with me puilling the AC. Looking at both my stock fans it really loose like one was never kicking on.
I know more about the system, so I'll try what you said. And maybe unplug relay 3 and 2, or change on of them to relay 1 if mines bad.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Launching!

Great. I believe relay 3 is a different p/n than 1 and 2. They should be different colors. Just an fyi.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't looked at the car yet today but I think your right on that, if I remebed right....1 and 2 are light grey and 3 in black. thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks brad,
Hooked it to 409, then a ground. Turns out the relay I think was bad, switched it for the other spot and it works
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM
Launching!

Good to hear! Nice work.

Quick Reply: wiring one fan off the stock PCM and harness.