PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap running pig rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may have to re-look at your injectors too! I just learned tha the flex injectors are rated @ 50psi, not 58psi. That'll cause richness if you're running a corvette FPR.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

running stock fpr and rails. checked my VIN and it says I should have the standard injectors. anyways, I pulled an all nighter and wen ahead and rewired the ECT, and my fan switch wire. but being as it was after 4 am I didn't want to fire it off. so I waited until today. now it won't start, at all. if I give it WOT it will pop and sputter a couple times but that's it. went to Advance and they didn't even have and IAT listed. not sure where to look from here. I guess I need to get my friend back over with the hp tuners and see what's going on with it and confirm the ECT signal. in trying to get it running initially he may have pulled too much fuel from it now
Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badhombre
I guess I need to get my friend back over with the hp tuners and see what's going on with it and confirm the ECT signal.
Sounds like the best bet. Also, verify that the O2s are active and switching correctly in HPT. I fought O2 wiring on one of my swaps, and was missing a ground that kept them shut off. Can't remember which pin it was on the PCM, but there was one that basically came out of the PCM and then ran over to attach to the O2 harness ground wires that were headed into the PCM (one wire for each O2). I've attached a crappy "paint" picture...hope it makes sense. Keep in mind, not all o2s use this setup.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 swap running pig rich-pcm.jpg  
Old 05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

well, I was just going to put o2's back on as a last resort. I would really rather run OLSD, but if I have to go back to o2's I will. I was just going to run a single wideband on it and let the tuner have fun with it
Old 05-31-2012, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably fouled the plugs...
Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

Ok so the truck has sat for a couple weeks now with the battery out. Put some more gas in it and the battery back in and fired it off. Ran good for a couple seconds then died out. It's almost like the vats is enabled again. Is it possible for it to revert back from the battery being out?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Update: tuner came over yesterday and now the truck will not stay running. He messed with the tune for almost 5 hours and nothing seemed to make a major difference. It cranks right up and sounds good for the first 5 seconds or so, then it begins stumbling out. Giving it any throttle instantly kills it. I took a quick vid of it, so i'll see if I can post it. Anyone have any ideas? Only clue we have is it's throwing a p0200 code. Going to check over the injector wiribg for issues today
Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 AM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Another part that helps create a rich condition is with the IAT sensor. Make sure that it is in the air intake tube and not lying to the side. I did this and my car would foul plugs fairly often and all i did was idle it. I put the IAT sensor in line of the airstream in the intake tract and startup was WAY better. Car runs much better. I cant take it for a ride cause i have no insurance on it and if caught its 5 grand fine. But, we did put in a wideband and the engine was running right on 14.5-14.7 afr like it should even though my 02s were obviously slow due to the amount of overfueling they took over time. Hope this helps.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Coil pack harnesses swapped banks as in b1 is really on b2 and b2 is really on b1 u might wanna check that cuz itll run but be pig rich cuz its firing in the bottom of the hole
Old 07-13-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aside from the issues mentioned, check the cylinder
displacement value in the tune since you're mix-n-matching
motors and computers. Telling the computer it's got a big
lung when it's really a little one, will fundamentally mess up
the SD air mass (and the MAF doesn't help you much at
idle).
Old 07-14-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still no log file and tune file to look at? It would definitely help to get to the bottom of this.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the suggestions. I am checking over mechanical things, and i will direct my tuner to this thread to get some ideas/input. I tried today swapping in a complete set of injectors and fuel rail I had from another 5.3 and it ran no different. so it isn't a bad injector
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Tuner here checking in I regret to say that I have not saved any of the logs since the ECT problem has been fixed so keep in mind that these are sorta old logs. I will get back out to his house here soon and get some fresh logs and i will post them up for further review. Also note that with out o2's or a MAF I am just kind of poking at this thing with a stick trying to get it to at least run well enough to at least stay running until we can get a wideband on the truck so i can have some sort of idea what the truck is doing.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
farm truck 2.hpl (7.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: hpl
farm truck.hpl (26.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: hpt
farm truck mod_1.hpt (459.2 KB, 238 views)
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

So I found an injector not getting power, tore my harness apart, found it had pulled out of the connection at the fuse box. Reconnected it, confirmed power. Cranked the truck up and it runs exactly the same, just with no codes. It is definitely dropping the whole driver's side bank still. WTF? I also put in a 2.2k resistor on the iat plug until I can find the correct sensor. This thing is pissing me off

Posted from LS1Tech.com App for Android

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap running pig rich