PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 z28 tune egr and detonation ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 z28 tune egr and detonation ?

I'm sending my 98 pcm into Frost to have the EGR, AIR, and Cats tuned out. Was just curious with the EGR being tuned out, if the engine will still have high detonation or if the tune for the timing control will eliminate this? With the tune is this going to be over stressful on the engine as it is without the tune?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

The stock tune is fine for a bolt-ons only car. If he's just pulling those items out, then you should be fine. If your engine is detonating on the stock tune, it's almost guaranteed to be a mechanical issue.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 07-12-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

You are having the emissions deleted. Are you having detonation problems ? If you are, i doubt having the emissions removed will change that. Did you make some changes to the engine? And is he tuning it for those changes or just removing emissions. If he is tuning it for some changes you made, its possible it will help . Your questions are slightly confusing and you dont give much information.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the detonation came on when you hacked off the
plumbing, then fixing the EGR spark adder table will
probably fix it.

But as old as the car is, you might consider injector
service before you eat #7 or #8, just on the chance
that the hack-job is only exposing an underlying fuel
distribution problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

The car only has 103k on it so its due for its 100k maintenance, meaning mostly spark plugs. I decided I want to delete these while I have all the hoses and crap out of the way while putting spark plugs in, and I already ordered the set of all block off plates as well. I don't currently have detonation problems I just didn't see how tuning the computer could keep down the combustion temps (or essentially do the egr's job). All of that and it appears cleaner, maybe a little weight loss, maybe a hp or 2 from deleting the egr. And just overall easier to get to other things in the bay with egr and air out. I probably will just have my car down for a week while I send my PCM into Frost and mean while I can rip out all the emissions and swap out the spark plugs and wires.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by augie1209
The car only has 103k on it so its due for its 100k maintenance, meaning mostly spark plugs. I decided I want to delete these while I have all the hoses and crap out of the way while putting spark plugs in, and I already ordered the set of all block off plates as well. I don't currently have detonation problems I just didn't see how tuning the computer could keep down the combustion temps (or essentially do the egr's job). All of that and it appears cleaner, maybe a little weight loss, maybe a hp or 2 from deleting the egr. And just overall easier to get to other things in the bay with egr and air out. I probably will just have my car down for a week while I send my PCM into Frost and mean while I can rip out all the emissions and swap out the spark plugs and wires.
Huh??? Ummm - the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) units were on these cars to improve emissions by recycling exhaust gases in with the fresh fuel/air charge. It has nothing to do with controlling combustion temps as far as I know. They were later removed after the camshaft was redesigned, which made them no longer necessary. It's not something the PCM can fix - you're just turning off the code from popping up and triggering an SES light. So unless you change your camshaft, you're just introducing a little extra crap into the atmosphere.

Quick Reply: 98 z28 tune egr and detonation ?