Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - No cam signal -

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Well it seems you've tried nearly everything but going back to basics for a sec...check ALL your fuses?

Also, you blew a head gasket? That is pretty rare on these cars and you said you also replaced a piston? WHY? What exactly happened when the car had issues?

I know you said it ran after the gasket issue but it sounds like a mechanical timing problem to me. Does it sound like there is no compression? Assuming you tested everything else correctly, my vote goes toward a jumped or broken timing chain.

Why don't you pull a valve cover and see if your rockers are moving? If they move, that would rule out the broken chain but not if the chain jumped timing.
I was doing an interstate run with the wastegate closed 20-21psi of boost. Blew a head gasket, it torched through the head surface trashed the head. An electrode blew off one spark plug and got wedged in between the 2nd ring land. The car still idled and pulled off into a parking lot. I put different heads on it, pulled the pistons to inspect, bearings were all perfect, one piston with the electrode broke I replaced. I never took the timing chain off or touched the cam, When I put it together it was all perfect. Turned over fine, rockers all worked fine. If the timing chain did jump it ran perfect when I pulled into a parking lot and shut it down...so not sure.

Heres the thread with the head gasket damage and pics.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...e-opinion.html

There is no injector data available for my injectors. So the voltage offsets are generalized. If my voltage is so low, like I discovered, that could be a major factor why everything else works and im not getting enough fuel. Its also E85, which needs more fuel to start.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its a voltage issue you would think when it ran under starting fluid the injectors would have taken over.

plus on prime (KOEO) the injectors should give a shot before you turn the key to start.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 89 formula350
if its a voltage issue you would think when it ran under starting fluid the injectors would have taken over.

plus on prime (KOEO) the injectors should give a shot before you turn the key to start.
im really clueless at this point.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75

sorry not what Im trying to do,

have you tried to leave the cam sensor unplugged? just a wild thought
Old 07-31-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Okay....so here's a shot in the dark: Hot-wire the PCM to make sure that it's not a hot-side voltage supply issue with any of the ignition switch or relay stuff.

I know, it's a bit "out there"...but man, I'm stumped right along with ya.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you figure it out?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man i figured it out! Had same symptoms as you doing the sqme exact thing coils where mixed up try it
Old 08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Coils were never unhooked individually.

It was weird. If you unhooked the coils it turned over fine. Plug them in and it turned over hard like a ton of timing. So... I assumed it was electrical. We hooked 2 battery cables up to the starter.... ruled out that it wasnt anything to do with the cables.

Then I swapped the 160# injectors with some 60# ones and reflashed with a tune for my friends car with those injectors.... same thing. turned over hard.

So... hmmm. I got a breaker bar and tried to turn the engine over with the balancer bolt.... BARELY MOVES. uh...oh. And made like a scraping sound. So ripped the timing cover off.... timing chain is on.. I didnt check it before my friend pulled it off. hmmm. Still hard to turn over. Converter bolts out.. still the same.

Ok.. Engine is out and on a stand upside down. All my rods slide forward and backwards a few thousands... so those bearings couldnt be better. Its clean as hell inside... (heads are still on, rockers still on) I moved the crank back and fourth, thought I heard something.... then went away... thing turns over fine now.. but when i spin it over fast the timing chain makes a sound like a playing card on bicycle spokes.... holy loose. Its fluttering and flopping around a lot. But the engine spins freely... So not sure what was holding it tight?? Im going to pull the mains off just to look again. Hard to believe anything could happen to them from cranking.....? But the fact I could barely turn it over with a breaker bar scares me... but its fine now..... weird **** man.
I thought maybe the timing chain was binding on top of the gear....in mid jump, that could cause the hard to turn... but we had the cam gear off in the car and it was still hard.

I dont know... I wonder if the chain being loose walked while cranking it, then the back fire i had jumped it?

Weird cause the car drove just fine before... and I never touched the chain or cam. It also did fire on starting fluid once.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that is odd! at first I thought you were going to say you had a nicked journal but it spins free now. (ran into that on a engine someone built and he couldn't get to turn free. unbolted each rod one at a time and once it spun free we took a closer look and found a tiny tiny nick!)

just for curiosity sake does yours run a chain guide? Ive thought about installing one on my engine because i really don't like how loose even a new chain looks
Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

No guide. I have a rollmaster double roller on my shelf, I opted for an LS2 chain because I didnt want to space my oil pump out and have issues with the front cover fitting. Hmmm. Going to rethink that now. Also found the rear main cap was touching the reluctor wheel... I figured the thrust bearing was trashed. Took that cap off and its like new....hmm. Rear main cap walk? And I caught it just before it destroyed itself? I know I should have pinned these. I dont think im going to push it as hard.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that chain slop is what makes me wonder about the guide you can install. I really cant remember how much worse yours is or isn't from new. I just know they are pretty loose new.

I'd hate to break a chain and bend valves. Not to mention I'm getting tired of taking mine apart.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Im getting sick of rework myself. I think this one is loose enough where it could walk over the next tooth.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pics of your crank reluctor, and the main cap that made contact with it...
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Update - I really dont know what happened. I took this engine out and it was tight at first then loosend up. Bearings all looked good. I put it aside and have a stock 5.3 shortblock going in now. I'll go through the 370 later and put in my other car.

People looking for "no cam signal" info this thread isnt going to help you.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything new ever happen with this?
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TA1364
Anything new ever happen with this?
Its still sitting on a stand, havnt touched it. I ran a stock 5.3 shortblock this summer (just broke it last Tuesday #1 piston).

But the problems I had here, There are scratch marks on the rear main cap and the reluctor wheel was definately touching it. Im sure it moved...that was the whole issue.

Im going to rip this engine apart this winter and pin the mains, new crank, maybe even a main girdle. I plan on putting it in my Nova with a bigger turbo setup and go fast...hopefully done by spring. Nova hasnt seen the road since 2008

Last edited by pwrtrip75; 09-18-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP - No cam signal -