Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tune after cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Tune after cam

I just finished a cam install. I have the idle nice and where I want it. I am about to start the LTFT tuning. Right now I have my MAF unplugged and tuned out. Is there any reason that I would ever need to put the MAF back into the quation? Or can I continue to run SD without an issue? If so, what can I do about removing the MAF from the picture completely? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plug the MAF back in, and disable it in the tune.....you need to have the IAT (in the MAF) working to be able to tune the car accurately. If you want to permanently remove it, you'll have to make sure that you have an IAT installed elsewhere in the system.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by salemetro
Plug the MAF back in, and disable it in the tune.....you need to have the IAT (in the MAF) working to be able to tune the car accurately. If you want to permanently remove it, you'll have to make sure that you have an IAT installed elsewhere in the system.
From what I understand, it is better for me to tune ltft with the MAF unplugged so that the PCM is not altering fuel mixture. Once I am one with the tuning of the ltft though what is the best method for getting rid of the MAF or should I just plug it back in and tune that as well?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

isn't the IAT sensor the one in the lid?

I've had better luck tuning with STFT's on my bolt on car. I tried LTFT, LTFT+STFT, and just STFT and so far it's been way easier as long as you have the hit count at 5 or 10. Plus you don't have to drive 100 miles after every change to let the car learn the trims. I fail the MAF by setting the fail frequency to 0Hz, set the P0103? to MIL on first error but uncheck the light, copy high octane to low octane spark, and make changes in the secondary VE table (if your year has it). And make sure you have the car at operating temp and reset the fuel trims each time, I know you probably know most of this but I've made those mistakes a few times and I wasted a ton of time hahah.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
isn't the IAT sensor the one in the lid?

I've had better luck tuning with STFT's on my bolt on car. I tried LTFT, LTFT+STFT, and just STFT and so far it's been way easier as long as you have the hit count at 5 or 10. Plus you don't have to drive 100 miles after every change to let the car learn the trims. I fail the MAF by setting the fail frequency to 0Hz, set the P0103? to MIL on first error but uncheck the light, copy high octane to low octane spark, and make changes in the secondary VE table (if your year has it). And make sure you have the car at operating temp and reset the fuel trims each time, I know you probably know most of this but I've made those mistakes a few times and I wasted a ton of time hahah.
Yes, I believe that is the sensor in the lid. I have not tuned the LTFT yet but I did notice it runs on average -7 so it's lean unless it is idles which I notice it goes to +5.5. Sometimes as low as -14 when driving. I am also getting P0121 about the throttle cable or sensor sometimes which I am sure about this cam as well. Gonna be a long time tuning.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have the 3 wire maf, you can delete it......if it's the 5 wire, your IAT is in the MAF. I was thinking that 2000-up had the 5 wire setup.
Old 09-15-2012, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by salemetro
If you have the 3 wire maf, you can delete it......if it's the 5 wire, your IAT is in the MAF. I was thinking that 2000-up had the 5 wire setup.
Yes, it is a 3 wire MAF. The IAT is seperate. So if I decided on an SD tune permanently, what should I do about the MAF?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

are the mods in your sig what your considering going sd for?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by outkast6991
are the mods in your sig what your considering going sd for?
The mods in my sig are what I am already running.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Decadence75
The mods in my sig are what I am already running.
i understood that i was just curious why you would be considering an SD tune for a hot cam
Old 09-15-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by outkast6991
i understood that i was just curious why you would be considering an SD tune for a hot cam
Why Not? And easier to tune?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am very new to tuning so i can't speak with any serious backing but i can give you my experience so far. i tuned my VE table using LTFT's and the car drove pretty well. i then tuned the MAF using LTFT's and the car drove even better. i then got a wb and went back to the maf and it drives far better than the last pro tune i had. It seems like the Maf would add only add some flexibility and drivability to the setup. i think an sd tune would be ok but a properly done tune with the Maf would be far better for the mods you have now. JMHO
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Why Not? And easier to tune?
actually for me the maf has been easier to get right than the VE table. Luckily i have a very good tuner walking me through the VE or it would be pretty hacked up i'd bet

Quick Reply: New Tune after cam