Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expert Electricians Needed PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Expert Electricians Needed PLEASE

Hi guys. I'm having some problems with my 2000 Z28. I installed sequential turn signals last week on my car. The kit I purchased came with outermost T/L sockets which were too long. When I tighted the plastic wingnuts on the back of the T/L's, the end of the socket pinched the wires against the back of the car. The ground wire was pinched the most and I found out that there were sparks arcing b/w the ground wire and the socket. This caused a blown fuse and melted ground wires. For a complete writeup about every detail, please check out my post in the stereo and electronics section here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/160419-electronic-techs.html This tells everything that happed/I did besides all my colorful language I used during this 'experience'. Before this whole fiasco happened, my ASR switch was contantly in 'off' mode--no tricks to make it that way. I could never turn it on. However, after all of this happened, my ASR switch works fine but doesn't show up on my guage cluster when it's off like it's supposed to. My radio, courtesy/dimmer lights, doorlocks, and trunk realease button all do not work. My door locks make a *beep beep beep* when I press lock/unlock while the doors are open. When they are closed and I press the buttons, my relay just clicks in the BCM. The relay fuse for the trunk realease button just clicks now instead of opening the trunk. The car starts fine, all exterior lighting works, all the info lights in the cluster are out except for the seatbelt light. All of this stuff worked before the sequential install. I also did one other thing during this which I remembered today. The other night, I tried programming my keyless-entry remote by removing the radio fuse, turning the key on/off 5 times, on the 5th time keep it on, and then I held the lock/unlock buttons for 16 secs. This caused my trunk to immediately pop open, but my door locks didn't do anything at all. This is when my BCM initially started making clicking noises in the relay. This might have cause the radio and other things to stop working too as I didn't try them until after the second ground wire fried. I bought this keyless remote along with the BCM which went with it out of a junk car. My car only came with an ignition key. My original BCM is still in my car. Would a keyless remote out of another car mess up my BCM if I tried to program the locks with it??? My BCM constantly clicks every 5-10 seconds when the key is on since I tried programming the remote entry. If you know the wiring really good in these cars or know electronics really good, then hopefully all of these symptoms will help pinpoint what the hell is the cause of my problem. If you're serious about helping, check that link out; it's very detailed. Ask anything else you think you need to. I was supposed to get this car inspected last week to send away for the R-title, but I don't know how long that's going to take now. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance guys!!! At least she still hauls ***!! (on backroads of course)
Old 04-15-2004, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe all the things you mentioned are controlled by the COURTESY fuse found by the drivers side door fuse panel (20 AMP fuse). Have you checked it?
Old 04-16-2004, 03:13 AM
Staging Lane

Talking

You are the MAN!!! Wow, do I feel like an ***! When I first took the courtesy fuse out b/c the lights didn't go out, I replaced it with the 20amp T/L fuse that I blew b4 oops! I didn't notice my power accessory fuse blew too. I must've checked them too fast before b/c I didn't see the blown fuses. After I replaced the fuses, my ASR switch went back to staying in the 'off' mode and I can't turn it on When I turn the ignition on, the ASR light blinks a couple of times, then shuts off for good. My check guages light also comes on now, although everything is fine. Does that come on if the gas is really low? I have to get some gas in the car. I hooked up the driver's side airbag b/c the place I bought it from removed it so it wouldn't get stolen. My airbag light blinks and stays on too. Any ideas what's causing these couple little things? Thanks again so much for suggesting something so simple.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the check gauges light will come on if the car is low on gas. In regards to the air bag light, mine did that and it was a result of the SIR Coil (clockspring) being broke behind the air bag. Was due to the wheel being moved when the steering shaft was undone.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Ok then, well that explains the 'check guages' light; I'm just low on gas since I can't legally drive this to a gas station yet. I've just been adding gas w/ a gas can. The only thing the car lot did to the bag was remove the two bolts and disconnect the wire. Luckily, the car was hit in a parking lot and no bags went off. I disconnected the battery and hit buttons just to make sure no juice was anywhere in the system. It was a major PITA trying to line up those two screws to the airbag. I tightened each one down as much as I could, but the airbag is a little loose with some 'play' in it which makes it rock back and forth a little and difficult to make the horn go off. Is the SIR coil spring an easy thing to check up on to see if it's broken? Like I said, the airbag was the only thing removed from the steering wheel. Any comments as to why the ASR is acting up on me? Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Glad to help out
Old 04-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Concerning the ASR problem I'm having, I found another guy on the board having the same problem. It's probably another simple thing somebody's gotta know how to fix. Like I said, when I turn the car on, the ASR light blinks a couple of times then goes off. When I press the button for it to turn on, nothing happens. My airbag light stays on as well. When my courtesy and power accessory fuses were out of the car, the ASR switch turned on/off fine, but didn't light up on the guage cluster b/c the P/A fuse was out. The other guy has had this problem for two years and SLP said it was b/c he installed a knock module. He removed it, and the ASR switch still didn't work. Any ideas anybody?? Thanks!!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

If there is a problem with ABS, the traction control will not allow you to turn it on...
Old 04-18-2004, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

That makes sense b/c I have to be careful driving the car b/c the brakes feel really low and don't stop the car too good. I just thought the pads were really low from the guy before. I haven't bothered pulling the wheels and checking the brakes. My ABS light doesn't stay on, though. Is there something I can check to make sure the ABS is working? I'll pull the wheels and see what's up with the brakes tomorrow. Thanks for the quick reply again Bomax!!
Old 04-22-2004, 02:54 AM
Staging Lane

Checked the pads out yesterday, really low as I suspected. This wouldn't mess with my ABS though, would it? That damn ASR switch still stays off and the airbag light stays on. Any more ideas? Thanks!