PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will LS1 EDIT turn off the VATS system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything you posted will work. The only exception is the range of values. I heard the resistance range had to be within 2% of the value in order for VATS to recognize it. I used 4 resistors and soldered them together (I used the solder in a tube, the flux is already mixed in). If I were you, I'd try to get as close to the actual resistance as I could. The resistors already vary some as it is so once you put them together, since you are so close to being out of range, it might not work.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm...another trip to Radio Shack. Is that where you got your resistors?
Old 04-25-2004, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine at radio shack
Old 04-25-2004, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JGKadell
I got mine at radio shack
Did you just soldier multiple resistors together to reach the required resistence? I couldn't get a single 860ish ohm resistor. How did you mount the resistor?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just used a multitester to get the resistance reading and then went to Radio Shack. I got lucky and they happened to have the correct one for my application. I soldered mine in to make sure it has total contact. The wires are very small and fine.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JGKadell
I just used a multitester to get the resistance reading and then went to Radio Shack. I got lucky and they happened to have the correct one for my application. I soldered mine in to make sure it has total contact. The wires are very small and fine.
Do you remember what the resistance amount was? Did you cut the black connector off in the picture in my previous post(above) and soldier the the wires to the resistor?
Old 04-27-2004, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

ttt thanks
Old 05-01-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 99MONGOOSE
I looked under the column again and the only connector I could find was black and has two white wires traveling up the column on the same side as the cylinder. These two wires have an orange wrapping that covers them going up the column. The opposing wires on the other side of the black connector are not both completely white; I believe they are striped. Is this the connector for the vats? I also measured the ohms of the key chip and it was 867. Radio Shack doesn't have a resistor that high, now what? Can someone give me a quality picture of these connector I am looking for?
go to the dealer look at the replacement key cylinder you may have to use a combination of resistors to add up to the desired resistance.
hope this helps
Old 05-02-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

A local locksmith that also does QUALITY automotive repair on site. He is replacing the ignition cylinder at my home for $230.00. That includes parts, labor, 2 new ignition keys and a 2 year warranty. Tomorrow he is stopping by with a "check-box" and by-pass the VATS and make sure the resistor is the problem. I was going to just do the by-pass, assuming the replacement of the ignition cylinder was going to be expensive but at $230.00 I am having it fixed right the first time.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

Locksmith came yesterday and sure enough the wires were broken in the ignition cylinder. He replaced the cylinder in 1 hour and 25 minutes. I got a new cylinder, 2 vats keys and a 2yr warranty for $230.00. It was worth it to me. at least if it happens again in the next 2 years its completely free. Considering my SS only has 21k miles on it and the wires already broke; I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again in the next 2 years.