PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune all of a sudden running lean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tune all of a sudden running lean?

Hey guys. Has anybody ever heard of a tune just all of a sudden up and running lean one day? The tune that I have in my car has been there for over a year and just the other day it started running super lean at idle like 18:1 or more. I loaded up a different tune done by somebody else and it idled back down at 14.7:1 again like it should. Loaded up the original tune and back to 18:1 or more. Anybody ever heard of something like this? Battery/alternator voltage possibly affect something like this?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:16 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your "tune" can't change, and your wide band is wrong. It won't sit there and idle at over 18-1.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:21 AM
10 Second Club

I am not going to dispute that the wideband may not be spot on but it is damn close. The car is so lean it does not run well at all when this happens. It will not rev up when the accelerator is pressed and you can tell in the way it sounds and is running that it is being starved of fuel. It has a distinct sound, I don't know how to describe it but it is not the smooth nice sounding lopey idle.

I wasn't actually saying the numbers in the tables change but can the tune become corrupt or something along those lines while it is being used in the PCM?

If it was something else mechanical or even electrical it would be happening on all tunes across the board, changing the tune should not affect it.

Last edited by tording99Z28; 02-14-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 AM
9-Second Club

The tune can not change. The car did, or the weather did and your correction tables are wrong.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM
10 Second Club

Could a slight weather change actually affect the AFR from 14.7:1 all the way to around 18:1 at idle? I have driven the car in different weather conditions and never had this issue till now. As I said if it was something with the car like mechanical or electrical I would see this issue across all tunes correct?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 AM
9-Second Club

It's the car. The "tune" can't change without setting a checksum error DTC.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Data logs?????
Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
10 Second Club

Can you explain how simply changing to a different tune then makes the problem go away? I am not saying you are wrong, if it's the car I want to fix it but I have to know where to start. In my mind if the problem is there with one tune and not another then the problem is the tune or tune file. If the problem persisted across multiple tunes then the car would be suspect.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Data logs show the injector on time being lower but for no reason. No values have been changed in the tune. I can post some up when I get home in a couple hours, I am at work right now.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check fuel pressure. If it ran fine before and now runs bad here are some things that could cause your problem.

Fuel pressure
MAF dirty or faulty
Map sensor
IAT sensor
O2 sensors

Start by checking those things and that will help narrow down exactly what the problem is.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 AM
9-Second Club

If you put a richer calibration in it, it's going to run richer.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like fuel pump is going out.. my buddy had a 228r cammed t/a that ran like it had 200 hp. then he threw a pump in it and the power was back lol just a thought. maybe clean maf?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

I guess I should have given a few more specifics to help out. It is a 3 bar SD tune so no MAF. Fuel pressure is being logged and shows 52 psi at all times which is the same as before the issue started happening. If the fuel pump was going out wouldn't the fuel pressure be less? The tune that I want in the car was done by Ed Hutchings here locally in Hampton Roads. It is the same tune that he did for the car a year ago and nothing has changed. This is the tune that one day while the car was running it just started running lean out of no where. The other tune that I mentioned was done by a different shop before I had Ed tune it and I didn't like the tune. The driveability was not as good as Ed's tune but the idle was fine so that is why I loaded it back up. With that tune it idles at 14.7:1 like it should. I put Ed's tune back in and bam back to around 18:1 again. As far as the other things mentioned like IAT and O2 sensors they are all reporting fine in HPtuners when I datalog. If they were acting up wouldn't I see some indications in my logs or not necessarily?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

If the o2's are working and there is fuel pressure then it would not be running 18:1 AFR. Log the o2 mV to see if they are in fact switching like they should. Or is the tune setup for full time open loop? I've seen o2's cause all sorts of issues on these cars when they go bad.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
If the o2's are working and there is fuel pressure then it would not be running 18:1 AFR. Log the o2 mV to see if they are in fact switching like they should. Or is the tune setup for full time open loop? I've seen o2's cause all sorts of issues on these cars when they go bad.
James, I just hung up the phone from recomending you to tune a '95 Vette. He wanted it dyno tuned.
I did a mail order calibration for him "in the late '90s", he now has a blower with 16 psi. If you need a virgin file to start with (that is what I always do) and don't have one I can email one to you. Just let me know.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could see 02's learning it off but a build like that shouldn't have 02's working.

Some sensor is screwing up.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The tune that was going lean at idle was an open loop tune. He was running race fuel some last year, and I figured the O2s would sooner or later take a poop and he was better off in OL. The tune has been fine for over a year. About 15 months actually.

When it goes lean, in the log, the IDC decreases by .3 ms. Not much, but with big injectors, it could be enough for it to tweak the A/F that much, not sure. For the time being we put it back in closed loop to see how it will act. I'm interested in if the trims swing wildly when this happens.

A little more info. He said it first happened when he let the car sit and idle for 15+ minutes. My first thought was IAT soak, but he didn't have a data log of that occurance. The data log he DID have, the one I was looking at, did not at all look like IAT soak.

So, kinda baffled myself. We'll see how it acts in closed loop and go from there.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
James, I just hung up the phone from recomending you to tune a '95 Vette. He wanted it dyno tuned.
I did a mail order calibration for him "in the late '90s", he now has a blower with 16 psi. If you need a virgin file to start with (that is what I always do) and don't have one I can email one to you. Just let me know.
I appreciate that, I have a few virgin files I can pull from.

OP I'm sure working with Ed, he will get you fixed right up.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, so some more information here with the car. Thanks for jumping in edcmat. I put the closed loop tune in it and it does indeed bring the AFR back down to 14.7:1 or so after a minute or two but for that minute or two it is still 18:1 or so and only after I shut the car off and start it back up. I can take the car out for a short drive after starting it and it will be fine and then I will come back home. I shut the car off with it running just fine and and fire it back up and it will be 18:1 or so for that minute or two until the new closed loop tune brings it back down. Now my fear is that I have an injector not spraying or opening correctly and that particular cylinder is running lean and to compensate the PCM is adding more fuel in the other cylinders to bring the AFR back down. It still seems to be something heat related or related to cycling the key off and back on because like I said upon first startup from a cold engine everything acts normal. Not until I shut the car off and fire it back up that it shows lean. I am pulling the plugs tonight to check them and see if I can tell if a cylinder is in fact running lean.

One other note is that this all started happening around the same time that I painted my coils. I can not think of any reason why coils would cause the car to run lean but just to be sure I am borrowing another set of coils to see if it is related. The first time I started the car after doing the coils a couple of them were arcing because I got just a small dot of paint on the heat sink portion of the coil and I guess it was enough to cause an arc somehow. It did not happen for very long just on startup for a few seconds and then stopped. Anybody think of a reason why painted coils that arced briefly would cause anything like this?

Last edited by tording99Z28; 02-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One key question is always, is the wideband for real.

Misfires is one way for the wideband to report a value
that's way off from the real shot fuel, drawn air AFR.
The oxygen in the exhaust fools it, because the sensor
sees oxygen out, and makes a reading based on an
-assumed- exhaust oxygen to input AFR relation. Which
in turn assumes clean and complete combustion.

Misfires can be elevated by slow NBO2 response, by
some change to timing caused by weather, some new
sensitivity -to- timing, etc. Also boost makes the ignition
system work harder, maybe you've got a weak component
that is dropping out (or just marginal) at one tune's
running MAP level but is on the right side of it, with the
other.

Quick Reply: Tune all of a sudden running lean?