PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP with LS1 or HP Tuners Decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe to clarify Paul's statement regarding deadlines... It's hard to set a timeframe when you are working in a dymanic environment and are not constrained by "artificial" limits - marketing demands, promised deliveries, "one-upping" the competition, Ego/Id conflicts, etc. Since the folks at EFILive are (and they really are working daily on it!) making progress, and maintaining both the existing product line and their personal lives, too, and (THIS is the important part) are not pressured into doing something "good enough" (see reasons above AND the existing competition for examples), the product will be released when it is done - not before.

Sorry if it sounds flippant, but unless there is some new genetic engineering to clone the developers, some new drug that adds a few hours to the day, or someone wants to commit to a few long weeks of professional servitude, there is no realistic way to predict an availibility date.

FYI, the screenshots in the above link are representative of the upcoming product, but are in no way the actual one. It's being recompiled as I type (maybe not, it's about 2AM there...).

MRK

PS: Contrary to what has been posted above, there is much more to tuning development than socketing a prom, reading the datastream, scoping the pulses, pinging the buss, and "sowing the seed". Any geek can do that.

Additionally, any gearhead can put a 3 bar MAF, a lumpy cam, prefectly matched injectors with a dampened supply, and maybe even add a few knock sensors to triangulate the location of the knock.

It's doing all this, in real time, in the rain, when it's moving at 100mph, on a few hundred cars, at 30 degrees (F or C) with an unlimited amount of possible levels of maintenance and modifications, as well as to keep the foundation of the OEM, and also to allow for a near infinite variability of a great number of parameters, all with repeatibility, security, and the confidence that WYSIWIG and to make it easy to use, understand and modify, all at a price that is affordable to the limited market that exists.

Furthermore, all this has to be done with the existing OEM hardware. Sure, a custom multi threaded parallel processor PCM with wideband sensors, redundant fault checking co processors, electromechanical actuators, infinite feedback paths, as well as liquid sodium valves, exotic fuels and micromachined and individually balanced components would open up more potetnial, but we are also realisticly working with the limitations of the existing technology AS WELL AS adding what we can, BEYOND that, while keeping it compatible and affordable.

So there!

Last edited by emarkay; 04-24-2004 at 09:05 AM. Reason: and furthermore...
Old 04-24-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

WYSIWIG - define please, for us cretins. LOL.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What you see is what you get - WYSIWIG
J
Old 04-24-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, don't get me wrong - the EFILiveV6 is a great
tool and well supported. But there were several key
interests of mine which I just couldn't get answers
to, as regards Flashscan/editor features and policies,
and the progress updates just don't satisfy my level
of curiosity at all. Especially the 4/16 one

Originally Posted by Bink
jb - how can you say that?? The update frequency for EFILIVE 6 has been phenomenal...and they're free!! You've been on their board...you know they're working on V6 updates, FlashScan and their "EFILive EDITOR".
Why would they not be tight lipped?? They're smart businessmen - don't tell the competition a thing about their products or their plans.
My 0.02.
joel
Old 04-25-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
Thanks for the responses but I am not sure anybody answered the mail completely. Interesting subjects – yes we need to support our sponsors but to me the product is more important. If our sponsors offer the best product, then that is an easy decision. Also, I don’t wish to reverse engineering anybody’s product - I don’t have the desire or the time, I am not sure how that one got started.
I like EFILive but I can not wait, the car needs to be programmed now. As Paul stated, he may lost some customers now but if his product is superior to the other guys, I will buy his product in addition to what I buy now – that is a fact.

I am still hoping somebody clearly define the Pros&Cons between LS1Edit and HP Tuners. I don’t care about the scan tool, as I said before; I have AUTOTAP & EFILive V6.
Bill

PS: Paul don’t rush your product – it is better to be late and have a great product then one that has problems.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WYSIWIG = Why you so ignorant with intellectual goods ?
Old 04-25-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Racehead
WYSIWIG = Why you so ignorant with intellectual goods ?
Racehead,
I guess I don't understand your comment. You must have some issues!
I work for a large corporation; I am director who just likes to work on cars. Money is not an issue for me but getting correct facts is important. My job is to listen to the facts from people who know the subject better than I do and make decisions based that information. That is what I am trying to do here, get some good information from people that know the subject.
So what is your problem???
Bill
Old 04-25-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Racehead,
I guess I don't understand your comment. You must have some issues!
I work for a large corporation; I am director who just likes to work on cars. Money is not an issue for me but getting correct facts is important. My job is to listen to the facts from people who know the subject better than I do and make decisions based that information. That is what I am trying to do here, get some good information from people that know the subject.
So what is your problem???
Bill
Here is the whole entire meaning to my "comment". It's a joke man ! I never thought for a second that it would be taken any other way. Somebody laughingly asked what it meant and I made a joke. Me thinks that you're far too serious.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Racehead
Here is the whole entire meaning to my "comment". It's a joke man ! I never thought for a second that it would be taken any other way. Somebody laughingly asked what it meant and I made a joke. Me thinks that you're far too serious.
Hi Racehead
I guess I am too serious - sorry. have a good day. At least it caused me to visit your site - good site, I like it.
Bill
Old 04-25-2004, 07:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Perhaps this page can answer some of your questions:
http://www.hptuners.com/comparison.html
Old 04-25-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Magnus
Perhaps this page can answer some of your questions:
http://www.hptuners.com/comparison.html
Hi Keith
That did help - the recovery function could be very useful. I hope I never need it.
Bill
Old 04-25-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bill's 02 Z-28 SS
Hi Racehead
I guess I am too serious - sorry. have a good day. At least it caused me to visit your site - good site, I like it.
Bill
That's cool Bill ( I'm Bill too ) I'm glad you like my site. I wish I had the skills to give it some pop, but I don't, so I won't
Old 04-25-2004, 08:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Bill, I'm glad that helps.

Our recovery feature is built into the software. It's so easy to use because its completely automated. In the event your car battery does die, or your laptop fails, you simply repower everything up and write the PCM as you would if nothing was wrong. The software detects a fail state and recovers without a hitch with no extra strain or stress for the end user.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Now I have a question about HP Tuners. Im a total newb to the programming of PCMs etc. I am however installing a LS1 in my 93 Rx7 FD. I will be getting the HP tuners programmer/scanner . How hard is it to grasp for someone who has never programmed a PCM before? I am fairly computer literate and understand the working of an engine very well (born with a wrench in hand!)
Old 04-28-2004, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vette454
Now I have a question about HP Tuners. Im a total newb to the programming of PCMs etc. I am however installing a LS1 in my 93 Rx7 FD. I will be getting the HP tuners programmer/scanner . How hard is it to grasp for someone who has never programmed a PCM before? I am fairly computer literate and understand the working of an engine very well (born with a wrench in hand!)

Just read through this forum and the hptuners forum and you should catch on

I got LS1 Edit years ago ... didn't know anything about cars period (I'm a computer programmer... but that doesn't help much w/wrenching on cars or tuning them) ... so I picked up everything from this forum

Key is don't change a million tables and then test your changes... tune 1 thing at a time.. from what I understand the help file with HP Tuners is pretty good. But this forum will give you the answer to about anything you'd want

I'm getting my HP Tuners this weekend So I can't wait
Old 04-30-2004, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the help. I have purchased the HP Tuners package. From everybody's comments it sound like a good choice. A couple of things caused me go with HP Tuners over LS1 Edit - Keith was kind enough to answer my questions and no one from LS1 Edit jumped in with their comments or reasons for me to buy their product.
Bill