Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me connect TunerPro rt via ALDU1_CABL2 to my 95 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28harcor
In the same boat as you. theres noone out there that has step by step instructions for the average DIYer to use. i downloaded tunerpro rt for my 95 lt1 and nowhere does it say what cable or what drivers to use. just out of curiosity why did you get the moates cable and not a cable from aldlcables.com??
i knew the moates was exactly what i needed in one package. moates seems to be the favorite as well. and nothing against the other cables bc i have not done much research on them, but i do know if you ever plan on tuning and the cable shorts out mid-process, your PCM will be trash.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sreve
This really is not the best place for OBD1 support have you joined up here?

http://forum.tunerpro.net/viewforum....dacbb19c2268bb

Eaglemark runs this forum and is well versed w\Tunerpro

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php

Not trying to run any body away from LS1 Tech it's a great site but TunerPro is not a common topic here.
im familiar with both. have been searching both as well, not a member, just been scrolling thru them since i downloaded tunerpro. i will probably have to join and start a thread or PM eaglemark for some help in order to get the answers i need from a tunerpro guru.

i have everything needed to run the aquisition tab and see any trouble codes, from every tutorial i have seen (i believe ive read every single one out there, from Ls1Lt1.com Ltxtech.com gearhead-efi.com and tunerpro's forum as well.) my cable states it is hooked up and functional. and i can hit the connect button and it attempts to establish the connection for about 3 seconds, then stops. its not connecting, ive done this on my m6 95 ta, and a friends a4 95 TA, same results, i seriously doubt that both cars has connector port deficiencies. ive checked cig lighters, and fuses, cleaned the ports, everything i can think of, no signs of physicals troubles. i cannot figure out why it is not establishing a connection...
Old 04-29-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

just finished installing datamaster... hopefully, i can have sucess with a trial run with it, and at least see my DTC's... anyone know is set up process the same for datamaster or is it all enclusive with files to be loaded, and such? im hoping to plug in my cable, open the program, assign the port and connect! ...wishful thinking...
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

Dug into the under dash of the car last night, attempting to figure out a way to run quad beam head lights on my 95 (ls1 front end swap and the ls1's have quad beam on brights) I figured it out, but a lot found a cobbled up mess, there were a couple wiring harnesses that were after market. The had inline fuses, and they ran to my light control switch, over to the front of the passenger kick panel, and also to the out wire of the starter and ign 12+ feed, which I concluded as an aftermarket alarm system that had been removed. I undid everything I seen, and now my power locks work as well as my dash lights, (would only come on when radio was on previously). Also, there must be something left bc the car still makes some dee-derr (x2) noise a few seconds after key is pulled from ign. I think this is the reason I cannot connect to my PCM. But I don't know what all circuits would and would not matter in order to connect. The obd2 port wires all look untouched...
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 PM
FormerVendor

I use EFILive V4 for logging LT1 cars. It is by far much nicer than any other logger on the market with less glitches. TunerPro/ScannerPro is super glitchy which I think is mostly because of the ADX files.

This that you are going through is the exact reason there are few tuners that will still mess with LT1's. They arent bad once you figure them out but will drive most people mad dealing with the crap software that has to be used with them.

First before you dig in alot you need to learn terminology and how everything works. In TunerPro the XDF file is the definition file. Think if this as a "Map" for all the parameters of the tune to its coresponding memory location in the actual tune file (bin file). It describes that memory locations setting and normally a min/max value. The bin file is your tune file. You will need a flash program to retrieve the tune file from your PCM to aquire it. The easiest solution is TunerCAT's WinFlash program which can be purchased for $20 here http://www.tunercat.com/winflash_des...lash_desc.html

This will allow you to read and write the bin files to and from your PCM. TunerPro does not have the ability to read or write the tune files to the PCM. It can only adjust settings in the tune file. If you would like a little better editor with better definition files that are more professional you could buy OBD1 TunerCAT software which has the WinFlash built into it's program. With it you can edit your tune file and read/write the tunes.

Now on to datalogging. This is where the trouble starts because there are very little good solutions for logging. I personally use EFILive v4 to datalog LT1's however it is sometimes hard to get to connect and you have to constantly adjust the heartbeat to get a solid stream. It also costs money for a license. You can get ScannerPro to work with LT1's as well but it IMO is a bit more glitchy. I rarely use alot of scanning on LT's as the dyno I have allows me to log the parameters I need and record the data for my adjustments. If you are good at editing streams you can add in wideband support for logging and all with TunerPro/ScannerPro and EFILive v4 but I've not ever dug in that far as I didn't need that function where my dyno does the logging for me.

Hope this helps. Best upgrade you can do is swap 0411 LSx PCM along with coil packs.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

I only wanted to read and clear DTC's. Lol it's sorry that I've got to go thru all this to do so. Tunerpro should work fine for that though. I don't want to spend much money beyond the cable I've bought, or would give more dedication to learning to tune myself, especially since I've already got a PCMforless tune. I plan on getting chromoly pushrods and rollover rockers, but $65 for a retune is worth it to me after all the trouble I've encountered.

If I hadn't already bought an msd cap and rotor kit for the opti, I'd consider the coil pack option, good info though, thru research I've found your right on. My goals are just lower than what you've gave direction for. Post was too long for me to quote. Lol
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

Well I have a clean port, and what I believe to be completely factory wiring. I can't figure out why I can't connect to the PCM. I checked the wires from the obd port all the way to the firewall, they are good. Then I got to looking at the connectors on the pass side wheel well in the engine bay, and found this little guy (see pic below). Don't know what he is for but I've inspected the wires and connectors on the PCM as well. They are good, so if it's not this little connector, I have no clue where else to look, or what else to do...
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

That single-wire connector is for the "Fuel pump prime". You connect 12v to that socket and the fuel pump relay will operate. It is used to troubleshoot the fuel pump and it's circuit.

If all you want is a diagnostic tool for your 94 or 95, you can use this free one that I wrote. It does not do any tuning or programming however.
It is named Scan9495 and uses any cable that works with Freescan, Datamaster, TunerPro, or any of the others. It has actuators, and ABS and SIR support.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s
Here is the introduction information: http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...1-scanner-app/

Feel free to message me about the OBD1 stuff for your car.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
That single-wire connector is for the "Fuel pump prime". You connect 12v to that socket and the fuel pump relay will operate. It is used to troubleshoot the fuel pump and it's circuit.

If all you want is a diagnostic tool for your 94 or 95, you can use this free one that I wrote. It does not do any tuning or programming however.
It is named Scan9495 and uses any cable that works with Freescan, Datamaster, TunerPro, or any of the others. It has actuators, and ABS and SIR support.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s
Here is the introduction information: http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums...1-scanner-app/

Feel free to message me about the OBD1 stuff for your car.
Thank you, I'll try downloading it. Still can't use it cuz my car has issues..,
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

i know i let this thread die out, but i got smart tonight (i thought) and decided i would try and bypass all of the cars wiring because that was where i believed my issue lied.

i was severly let down to find that my plan did not work. i took 3 home made wires ( female on one end and male on the other) and tried going directly to the ECU. tapped into the D30 wire (DTC signal wire) and hooked it the the #9 pin on my connector of my moates cable, then the D20 wire and hooked it to #6 port (another signal wire, wasnt sure if it was needed but got it anyway) then grounded 4 and 5 to a ground post just in front of the pass wheel well. so it must not be wiring. if my PCM executes all the functions of the car correctly is there a possibility that it is in some way incapable of giving trouble code info or comunicating at all? if it is not that then i have missed something along the line trying to set up these scanner programs or the moates cable is not set up correctly. which i did not believe was the case, but my method bypassed any chance of a wiring problem, and still same result as before...

and i really need to be able the scan the car at this point...
Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

okay guys, im back at it. i did some looking online and some guys that were having the same issue as me reset their com ports and it worked for them. (reset or changed)

so i went thru every possible com port in device manager, and matched it to tuner pro and to datamaster. no luck. both say cable was found and functional but cannot connect to the ecu.

i questioned if the usb drivers installed correctly. so i uninstalled both and went to moates webpage to get the second newest version. ( i had the newest) and i am currently trying to get tuner pro to connect. default install com port is 3, i tried it and it didnt work, so im starting at 1 and going to around 6. then doing the same with datamaster. there was a guy who got datamaster to work on com port 3 with my problem, but not tunerpro. he used com port 1 and tuner pro worked, but datamaster would not...

i hate this sorry *** windows computer with a passion. i would love to call greg moates up for help, but i am afraid i would end up cussing him right now. lol

what i will probably end up doing is breaking this sad excuse of a laptop over my knee, strangling a kitten with my ALDU1 CABL1, then drive to a dealer cussing all the way, after which i can pay them a small fortune.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

com ports did not work. how cheap can i get a regular 12 pin obd1 scanner? i know the jumper thing u can do to make the 12 pin work with the 16 pin...
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

i cant figure out of the first one is a 10 or 12 pin connector? i know the 10 pin will not work.

i wonder if the second would read both of my cars in my sig?... thatd be nice to have a universal one for both cars...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eq...FeHm7AodPAYAFQ

http://www.tooldesk.com/automotive/E...1-Scanner.aspx

Quick Reply: help me connect TunerPro rt via ALDU1_CABL2 to my 95 LT1