PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 SS Will Start, Wont STAY running. TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2001 SS Will Start, Wont STAY running. TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING!

Vehicle: 2001 Camaro SS. Original M6 car
Motor and PCM: 2001 Camaro SS. Original M6. Pulled from another SS parts car. FAST 90/90 GM hot Cam, 42# injectors, QTP long tubes.
Trans: Built 4l60e and 4l60/LS1 engine harness.

Right now the car will start but will not run more than a couple seconds and shut off.

I did have the car running. It Didnt run really good because of the open headers and 42# injectors. It was running extremely rich.
I loaded it on a trailer and took to a local exhaust guy where he did an alignment and a 3" dual x system. I backed it off his alignment rack and drove it outside and parked it. Running really rough, wouldnt idle for ****. Shut it off and now I have changed the spark plugs, went to an auto/stock tune. We tried a couple different tunes actually. Same result. It runs for 2 seconds and shuts off. I have 58 psi of fuel until I shut the key off. Tested a couple coils on each side of motor and both worked. Injectors work.
Tested the TPS and my brother (tuner) said it works good.
I figured may be a crank sensor so I switched it out with another one I had on a motor. Same result.

I am boggled on this one. VATS is turned off. My brother says the Oil pressure indicates -15psi. Would this command the PCM to shut the car off?

Im thinking the PCM is telling the motor to shut off. Anybody have any ideas on troubleshooting this issue? The only thing left that I can think of is take it to the dealership and see if there TECH2 scanner can find the issue. Its just super hard for me to load the car on the trailer without it running.

Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see anywhere in your post that you changed the tune for the 42# injectors. And those are probably 42# @ 3 bar so they are more like 49# injectors in a 4 bar fuel rail.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Yea forgot to mention that. We did change the 42s (or 47# I thought @ 55 psi).
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

post the tune
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
post the tune
^^^^^

Sounds like VATS is not turned off.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

I really don't know how to post the tune. I will see if my brother can when he gets off work tonight. I was reading my "how to rebuild Ls Series" book and it says when swapping pcm's, a ckp learn or "case" learn procedure may be required, but from using search option on here It seems the car needs to be running first?

I asked my bro 3x if Vats & column lock was disabled. He said it was (and was getting pissed I kept asking). So I'm still ASSUMING its off. Lol

GM service says its 90 bucks to diagnose. Maybe the Tech 2 will see something hptune.rs can't?

I know the PCM is from a different car. My brother was questioning the VIN? Would matching VINS have anything to do with shutting it off?

I should also say I'm not running a MAF

Thanks for taking time to help me out guys! I appreciate it!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Banned

If you're not running a MAF is the tune setup correctly for speed density?

If you have HPtuners then you have a scanner. You should be able to determine pretty quickly why it won't start. All of the information is there. All you have to do is be able to interpret it.

Crank relearn has nothing to do with it.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Ive attached the current bin that we're using. I've tried alot of different things and currently I've got it set back to stock except for the spark table and SD.

I dont see any reason why that would keep it from idling.

The car starts perfectly and sounds like it should but dies almost instantly.

I dont have a log file with me currently but i can get one tomorrow if it would help you guys help us.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
01 Camaro 25Apr13-1.hpt (458.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Put the ve table back to stock and see if it will stay running. Where did you come up with that. those values are way too little.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Banned

VE was way too low and MAF was not properly failed. Between both it wasn't ever going to run.

01 Camaro 25Apr13-1_EH1.hpt
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

thanks edcmat, Ive tried stock ve/scaled up ve/scaled down ve, maf fail freq to zero, 13500hz, no error first error second error etc... this file was just the most recent. Ill give it a shot and fill you in later today. Im at work right now though and dont have access to hpt. Where did i go wrong in failing the maf? Just curious if ive done it correctly and tried something else when it didnt work or if i havent had it right to begin with.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey83
thanks edcmat, Ive tried stock ve/scaled up ve/scaled down ve, maf fail freq to zero, 13500hz, no error first error second error etc... this file was just the most recent. Ill give it a shot and fill you in later today. Im at work right now though and dont have access to hpt. Where did i go wrong in failing the maf? Just curious if ive done it correctly and tried something else when it didnt work or if i havent had it right to begin with.
Need to set it to MIL on first error, and uncheck the SES box.

Also the VE was way too low.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

You guys were right on! Thanks a **** ton for the help!

Now I just gotta get it to idle and not surge like hell. Should be tuned Friday if all goes well.

Quick Reply: 2001 SS Will Start, Wont STAY running. TRIED ALMOST EVERYTHING!