Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VE Tuning was Good, MAF on Car won't run

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Been tuning a lot of cars for a lot of years? Degraded O2s indicate lean, thus cause the PCM to ADD fuel, not pull fuel. Positive LTFTs will (if you don't know how to prevent it) add fuel in P.E. mode. Don't recall ever seeing one pull fuel in P.E. mode.

Thing to do is keep good O2s in the car.
IIRC, I followed a detailed discussion on this topic at EFILive.com, bottom line was the way the PCM software was written, the PE effect is only a positive one, it cannot remove fuel even with negative LTFT's remaining.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatsby

Seeing that OLEQ table was also helpful. When I was doing the VE tuning the guide I was following said to make everything 1.00 across the board. Is that JUST while I'm tuning? Or should I just leave it like stock and not do the 1.00 across the board.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your time and efforts.
Originally Posted by mshadow
The 1.00 across the board is just for tuning so your not chasing an ever changing target AFR

I wouldn't set fueling to 1.00 everywhere... I would run the normal fueling during tuning to prevent going lean (and causing damage)...

the commanded AFR is present in the AFR pid, so you're not chasing an ever changing AFR.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joecar
I wouldn't set fueling to 1.00 everywhere... I would run the normal fueling during tuning to prevent going lean (and causing damage)...

the commanded AFR is present in the AFR pid, so you're not chasing an ever changing AFR.
Thats interesting, so just shut off closed loop, LTFT and STFT and start loggingand tuning? Any drawbacks doing it this way.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
Thats interesting, so just shut off closed loop, LTFT and STFT and start loggingand tuning? Any drawbacks doing it this way.
Been doing it that way for years - only difference is that I tune the VE table that way first, then the MAF table (unless staying in SD)... I always set my OL table and my PE table to values that I want to obtain first (sane and safe values), then correct the VE and MAF tables to reach those settings... then, once my actual equals my target fueling, I fine tune to obtain max torque and HP by making small changes to the PE table and the spark table.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you flash clear the trims (your tuning tool might already do this for you), and start logging...

first do VE (with disabled MAF), and then do MAF (with disabled VE), like BLKO2WS6 said...

before starting make sure PE will enable (be careful with truck tunes, they enable PE at 90% which is too late), and make sure it will be suitably rich to avoid damage; then during the log make sure that wideband shows PE enabling at load and that it fuels sufficiently rich...

to avoid transitions from OLFA to PE, make PE flat and make the last few columns in OLFA same as PE (but those transitions should not really be too much of a problem in most cases, so you don't really have to do this).

Last edited by joecar; 06-05-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

And keep in mind that the front NBO2's are good for about 70K miles... and then you should replace them anyway (even if they seem good).

Like Ed said, negative trims will never pull fuel, ever.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

10-4, yeah I always start with tuning VE in SD. And yes set OL and PE tables to what I wanted first. I clear trims each time I flash a new calibration, I have made that mistake before.

Would it be a good idea to add a certain percentage to the VE table before running in OL the first time to keep it on the safe side? Or would it be better to add a percentage to the OL and PE tables?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the opposite problem one time when i had the "RPM threshold for Airflow Calculation" set to 400. No maf = no start.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

10-4, yeah I always start with tuning VE in SD. And yes set OL and PE tables to what I wanted first. I clear trims each time I flash a new calibration, I have made that mistake before.

Would it be a good idea to add a certain percentage to the VE table before running in OL the first time to keep it on the safe side? Or would it be better to add a percentage to the OL and PE tables?
Particular mods will increase VE a known amount... if you bump up the VE table the known amount (rather than OLFA and/or PE), then as you tune you only need to edit the VE table (minimizes the number of edits).

Last edited by joecar; 06-06-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by spy2520
I had the opposite problem one time when i had the "RPM threshold for Airflow Calculation" set to 400. No maf = no start.
Probably because the MAF DTC did not show up.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

Since there always seems to be threads with no apparent resolution I wanted to revive this thread and let everyone know how it went.

After taking most of the advice in this thread and doing more research I played with the tune more. I recalibrated my WBO2, retuned my VE table (which is now within +/- 3 and looks smooth), and then turned the MAF back on (for the MAF tuning portion) and set the OLFA table back to stock. I started the car up with crossed fingers and voila! Even with a MAF table that is not yet tuned the car ran amazing! I'm sure I've got a lot of fine tuning left and I'm still learning a lot, but the throttle response is great, no hesitation anymore, no bogging, all around great!

Moral of the story? Listen to the people in here, do your research, and be PATIENT! I can't tell you how many times with tuning i've felt like selling the damn car, but in the end, I love it again.

Thanks to everyone that lent their advice.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

Glad it went well for you!

Quick Reply: VE Tuning was Good, MAF on Car won't run