Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171 & P0174, searched, running out of ideas 04 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
The fuel psi question has been posed twice....Still no response that I can see.
We just fixed the exact same issue by replacing a leaking in tank hose...We found it w/ a fuel pressure gauge....
I answered above that i checked it, but i never posted the PSI. I dont remember exactly, but it was in the 55-60 psi range at idle, i think. I am using the corvette fuel pressure regulator/ filter.

I did try a little experiment, i used a caulking gun with high temp RTV, and a clear hose fed in between the 4 header tubes and filled the cavity at the merge collector. I let it sit for a couple days to cure, and when i drove it, i noticed:
1) not as much noise or smell. It always had a hint of exhaust leak sound, but not too much.
2) no more crackle on decel.
3) no more stalling while coming to a stop
4) no check engine light for over 1200 miles.

I thought i may be onto something, but then after an autocross, the light came back on. I wonder if i blew the RTV out.

I plan on pulling the headers again and seeing if i can seal it up permanently, but i think i am on the right track.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Closing the loop on this thread. Over the winter, i removed the headers. looking in between the primaries, the RTV had hardened, and blown out. I noticed the gaps where the pipes slid into the collector were pretty large in some areas, and squirting some brake cleaner in the gaps, it drained right out into the collector. Definitely my exhaust leak.

I was unable to find someone with the skills/ability to weld the inside, it probably isnt possible. I came up with a way to seal them up.
I had some diamond shape pieces that fit into the center made, that fit against the primaries but not the collector. I could slide them down in, and the butt up against the end of the collector.

I drilled a hole in the middle. Then, i dropped an eye bolt down between the pipes, then ran a piece of flat stock through the eye to create an anchor. I then took some high temperature furnace gasket material (the fiberglass rope style), covered it with the gasket cement/sealer, and wrapped it around each primary. I then dropped the diamond pieces in, tightened them down with the eye bolt, and essentially clamped the gasket material in place. They've been on the car for a few days now, and all my problems are gone.

I know its hard to follow, but hopefully it made sense. the moral of the story is the merge collectors were my problem.

Originally Posted by jeffp5
I answered above that i checked it, but i never posted the PSI. I dont remember exactly, but it was in the 55-60 psi range at idle, i think. I am using the corvette fuel pressure regulator/ filter.

I did try a little experiment, i used a caulking gun with high temp RTV, and a clear hose fed in between the 4 header tubes and filled the cavity at the merge collector. I let it sit for a couple days to cure, and when i drove it, i noticed:
1) not as much noise or smell. It always had a hint of exhaust leak sound, but not too much.
2) no more crackle on decel.
3) no more stalling while coming to a stop
4) no check engine light for over 1200 miles.

I thought i may be onto something, but then after an autocross, the light came back on. I wonder if i blew the RTV out.

I plan on pulling the headers again and seeing if i can seal it up permanently, but i think i am on the right track.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow good job!!! i just did a ls3 swap and i have the same two codes after fire up guess ill start on the checklist fml
Old 04-21-2016, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any updates? This is the last item on my punchlist for my Wrangler conversion. I've been unable to figure it out so far. Fuel pressure is 58psi, no exhaust leaks that I can find using stock manifolds, no vacumn leaks (I've blocked off the PCV, brake, and accessory ports). If I plug in my O2 sensors, I can watch the fuel trims count as soon as it goes into closed loop. I have 445mv bias voltage at the sensors, and I can jumper the low and high signal lines together and get 0v, so the wiring should be good. This was a great running stock truck with no issues, so I'm not convinced I have two defective O2s.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So, we pulled the intake off today and no issues were found. No noticeable exhaust leaks.

Can not running rear O2 eliminators cause this? I don't have any rear sensors installed. The fault codes are turned off, but is it possible that the PCM is looking for the signal and not finding it?
Old 04-25-2016, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i checked all vacuum lines and hose clamped them all to be sure, but most likely it was my open headers causing my codes as the O2 sensors are close to the collector exit and were likely picking up more oxygen because of it. put on some exhaust pieces to bury the O2 sensors and no codes to date. my engine ran 4 O2 sensors prior to the swap now it only runs the pre cat sensors x2

Quick Reply: P0171 & P0174, searched, running out of ideas 04 LS1