PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What engine management system would/do you use?
Stock ECU with HPT
44.00%
MS
32.00%
Bs3, fast XFI, AEM infinity, Holley, and Haltech
24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

MS vs. stock PC vs. Aftermarket enging management

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MS vs. stock PC vs. Aftermarket enging management

Whats everybody prefferance, Have a local forum with a guy who it trying to slam MS3 down everybodys throat and completly bashing every other engine management system known to man, (Bs3, fast XFI, AEM infinity, Holley, and Haltech) Opinion welcome, but prefer real world experience dont care if you run a 13s pass or a 8s pass. I want to hear about ease of use, advantages/disadvantages, but most importantly! RELIABILITY
Old 06-27-2013, 06:51 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by k_cash1432
Whats everybody prefferance, Have a local forum with a guy who it trying to slam MS3 down everybodys throat and completly bashing every other engine management system known to man, (Bs3, fast XFI, AEM infinity, Holley, and Haltech) Opinion welcome, but prefer real world experience dont care if you run a 13s pass or a 8s pass. I want to hear about ease of use, advantages/disadvantages, but most importantly! RELIABILITY
If your under 8000 RPM, there is no reason for you to use anything but the factory PCM.

megasquirt would be my last choice.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Stock PCM with EFI Live or HPT...

If running a Nitrous system I would prefer COS 5 with EFI Live to stage 2 different timing curves, One for NA/One for N2o..

If I was swapping an LSX for a dedicated RACE CAR it would be a toss up to the Haltech and holley HP EFI... For a Street Strip LSx application again STOCK ECU
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 PM
9-Second Club

I have tuned Haltech, the new Holley system, FAST, BS3, DFI, and the older Holley. All real NHRA & IHRA Stock & Super Stock race cars. As for reliability, I have seen Haltech failures.
Maybe one older DFI. As for closed loop self tuning, so far I have not seen one impress me. The new Camaro COPO I work with (fastest CCS/A we have seen so far, holds the NHRA national record.) the Holley tech guy was at the NHRA LODRS race at Tulsa with us this past weekend. He has the guys running the car it needs to be in closed loop. I showed them a log showing 13.5-1 A/F, and -1 fuel correction. They had been using a target A/F of 13.2-1. Should have been adding fuel. I put it back in open loop and nailed it 2nd open loop pass. Put it back on closed loop to make the Holley guy happy. Was making zero corrections when he left. Nice guy, just had to spout the company line.

I have has best repeat ability along with a couple of things we can't do with the others, with FAST XFI. My second choice is BS3. Great system, just lacking the ability to do one thing my car likes to the tune of 2 hundredths lower ETs.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Cash, the best one is the system you or your tuner can adjust to make the most power reliably. I use Tuner Cat for obd1 and obd2, hp tuners and have built several megasquirt and microsquirt systems. For real time tuning of timing and fuel I prefer microsquirt so I can dust timing and fuel with the engine running. Its Tunerstudio autotune feature works very well. For automatic electronic controlled trans applications, it is hard to beat the factory PCM. I also have used the aem on a mr2 and hate the user layout of their software. BS3 is pretty basic to adjust. I have had several of the new auto tune Holley systems that crapped out in the first hours of operation. Their lsx spark only systems require very high rpm to sync the first time. We use dual +12 batteries to sync it the first time. Thereafter it works good.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Regular

The only reason this post went up is to prove to a certain person (dieselgeek) That MS is not the best thing in the world, He completly trashes anything that anybody says about any other system other than MS. PSJ has had several run arounds with him on here and YB along with several others that are highly sought at individuals in the LSX world!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 AM
9-Second Club

Tuning FAST XFI while running is a snap, as it is with BS3, Holley, DFI, Haltech, etc. unless they changed it, with Haltech you save your work to a file, then load it up after shutting the car off, they ing back on. Others write the newes changes in RAM to the chip after disconnecting, then turning the engine off. Older Haltech systems didn't work that way. I have had a few instances BS3 failed to write the chip also. May have shut power off too soon after disconnecting? I always save to a file, then turn power back in and insure the changes are there. I save FAST changes to a file also, but have never had one fail to write the chip unless brain fade causes power to be shut off before clicking on "disconnect". LOL

I so dislike Haltech, I decline tuning those anymore.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was wondering whats the best way to swap a ls1/5.3/6.0 into an older car and keep efi without having to use a factory harness, is it easier with an aftermarket engine management system?
Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
I was wondering whats the best way to swap a ls1/5.3/6.0 into an older car and keep efi without having to use a factory harness, is it easier with an aftermarket engine management system?
My opinion is as such: If its stock or mildly modified and plan to keep it that way....OE pcm. If you plan to tinker and dont want to buy software and learn to use it or pay a tuner everytime you make a change, the Holley Hp stuff is good and its quite user friendly.

Quick Reply: MS vs. stock PC vs. Aftermarket enging management