Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tuning School

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default The Tuning School

Over the winter I'm thinking about buying The Tuning School's beginners course because I'm completely illiterate when it comes to tuning EFI cars. All my hotrods before this contained the good old Chevy big or small block. I want to learn/know how to adjust things the right way. If anyone has used their course please give some details and do you think its worth the price of admission.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt would also like to know were would be a good place to start.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the beginners and advanced course and I have had HP tuners for years. For years I would search forums and ask forums and hope for someone to answer my questions. With the tuning school, it really came together. They explain the essential tables that need to be adjusted with a step by step guide. Then if you get confused or just stuck, you can call Bob at the tuning school and he will guide you in the right direction. When you buy the beginners course, you get 1 free year of support from them.

I guess one question I have for you is, what is your plan with your car. NA, turbo, nitrouse, heads and cam, are you going to be running speed density, or running with a MAF?

Let me know if you have anymore questions and I will gladly answer if I can.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Teching In

I've also been curious about this. Just changed my exhaust from straight dumps to a kooks full system and I can already tell the car could be retuned. Also with intake and possible head changes in the very near future i'd like to be able to take care of the tuning myself as I change things on tne car instead of having to take it to a shop everytime.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Staging Lane

Not to threadjack op but my car is supercharged with a smiley face a/f curve maf tune ( it starts good then gets down in the low10's then goes lean up top like its running out of fuel. But I watched fuel pressure when on the dyno and it never dropped pressure.)

So since then I've put a 1/4" smaller blower pulley on. And swapped the 255 fuel pump for a dw300. I've also purchased the jet DST tuning software ( beings I'm 97 lt1). And am currently trying to purchase an older version of auto tap. For logging. I also have adynojet wideband.

So basicly I needed a good tune to start with and now I should be making more boost. I have no experience tuning other then adjusting carbs when I was younger. So any good tutorials "free" on jet DST , tuner cats maybe that would help me get on my way to blowing my forged bottom end lol.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:00 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAMSVT
Not to threadjack
Trying to understand how your post relates to the OP?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:12 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

You need to understand how EFI works, are you comfortable with that? It's the same only different relating to carbs

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Over the winter I'm thinking about buying The Tuning School's beginners course because I'm completely illiterate when it comes to tuning EFI cars. All my hotrods before this contained the good old Chevy big or small block. I want to learn/know how to adjust things the right way. If anyone has used their course please give some details and do you think its worth the price of admission.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Looking for free info not snooty comments. This post was the first I heard of the tuning school. After some research it is out of my price range . I want to tune my own car, not looking to become a pro but would like to no where to start much like the op. Maybe someone knows of a sight that is free that offers literature on understanding engines , and efi. Or some cheap books.

Highjacking as in asking for info for my own personal gain that may not pertain to op.
Like info on jetdst. Because there is not much info to be found on it.
No offence intended
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ctd
You need to understand how EFI works, are you comfortable with that? It's the same only different relating to carbs
I pretty much understand the concept of EFI but not how to put it to use if you get what I mean. However, messing around with my Hptuners sofeware is opening my eyes as to what needs to be adjusted for different conditions (high/low idle for instance). I still would like to sit down and read a good tutorial from a pro so I can fully understand what each table does and what it affect.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey KAMSVT no offence taken.I have not heard of the sofeware that you mentioned. HPTuners Pro is the first tuning sofeware that I've used. You can read up on their stuff over at Hptuners.com. There's plenty of info there to get your toes wet.

Also, by the looks of your original question it seems that you are having a problem under boost at WOT. Feel free to post what you asked in the Force Induction section.

Last edited by Monte4ever; 07-22-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought hptuners and started tuning but I started with a blown '03 Z06 with a 2 bar OS. There is plenty of info on the internet and plenty of tuning PDFs for VE and MAF tuning. If you read it enough and just search you can get all your answers off the great internet.

Just take your time and save your stock tune. Always save a tune so you can go back to the last tune incase you screwed something up.

I bought a book for I think $35 and it was great. It's called "Master EFI Tuner, Learn how to Tune GM EFI" 2nd edition by Dan Maslic
Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

I just downloaded a book called "engine management advanced tuning" by Greg banish that I read about on another forum . I found it free on zippysharedotcom. Maybe its a good starting place for me might help someone else figured I'd post it
Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just downloaded a book called "engine management advanced tuning" by Greg banish that I read about on another forum . I found it free on zippysharedotcom. Maybe its a good starting place for me might help someone else figured I'd post it
Great...I'm sure that Greg (a member here) will be just thrilled that someone was too goddamn cheap to simply PURCHASE his information/book.

I understand that your intention here is to "help" others....but really?!? How about you just pony up the meager $$$ for the information....or at least NOT encourage file-sharing/pirating. Not cool in the least.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

HPT as the others is difficult software. There are no short cuts that I'm aware of, I've always commented the most inexpensive part of tuning is purchasing the software.

I've purchased most of the material that is available & attended a class @ the School. My suggestion if you are really committed to learning is you purchase, read & study the material available first. Prepare for the second career.

The pro's on this site & others will not easily give there hard learned experience freely....right fully so. They do it day in day out & constantly try new technique's. There is value to that.

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
I pretty much understand the concept of EFI but not how to put it to use if you get what I mean. However, messing around with my Hptuners sofeware is opening my eyes as to what needs to be adjusted for different conditions (high/low idle for instance). I still would like to sit down and read a good tutorial from a pro so I can fully understand what each table does and what it affect.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

I've been to efi university's EFI 101. It helped me a little but now that I efi live and have tried just a few things its quite intimidating... Is there an efi live specific tuning school? Efi universities course for efi live I was told wasn't to great... Nor is the class remotely close to me.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are MANY sources these days for learning how to tune these vehicles. I have purchased both of Greg's HPT DVDs (also many books), and also decided early-on that I would take the Tuning School Beginner and Advanced courses in person....which I did. Some people find that they are able to pick things up just fine with the learn-at-home courses, but I knew that I wanted to attend the live classes, as being able to ask questions and receive instant answers was a real time saver. Was it cheap? Well, not exactly....but neither is blowing up a $12k-plus engine from not having a clue.

Additionally, I read as much as I am able to about tuning concepts and theory. I am by no means an "expert" on the subject, and probably never will be....this technology changes very quickly. My point here is simply that you get out of this what you put in to it. My motivation was initially to be able to tune my own vehicle, as I was sick of "mail-order" tune problems and dealing with internet "guru" tuners that had no real work ethic or customer service mindset. It is evolving into a business for me at this point.

So I guess what I'm trying to say here, is that there is no free ride in this area....you're going to have to pay to really learn how to tune.....one way, or another. I'd suggest contacting Geoff @ EPS...I believe he now has some EFI Live material...as does Greg Banish. EFI University does as well, but I've not been through any of their courses, so can't tell you much about them.

One thing that really sticks out in my mind through this whole learning process, is that you are better off learning from many different people...and figuring out how you want to apply it all. Greg Banish and Bob Morreale both have very different approaches in how they teach tuning, but there are HUGE amounts of wisdom being given by both of them. You will find that the old saying "there's more than one way to skin a cat..." definitely applies to the art and skill of tuning as well.

Sorry for the long-winded post...but hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by salemetro
Great...I'm sure that Greg (a member here) will be just thrilled that someone was too goddamn cheap to simply PURCHASE his information/boo.

I understand that your intention here is to "help" others....but really?!? How about you just pony up the meager $$$ for the information....or at least NOT encourage file-sharing/pirating. Not cool in the least.
Glad to see u take the long trip off your high horse and add some good info to this thread.question though do u also picket evil coorprrations such as public librarys that offer free memberships, and allow u to barrow as many free books as u want.

This evil must be stopped .

And I apologise to Greg if he is a fellow tech member if I cost him his publishing deal. Now good day sir.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to see u take the long trip off your high horse and add some good info to this thread.question though do u also picket evil coorprrations such as public librarys that offer free memberships, and allow u to barrow as many free books as u want.

This evil must be stopped .

And I apologise to Greg if he is a fellow tech member if I cost him his publishing deal. Now good day sir.
Right...because libraries all get their inventory for free. lol Don't be a tool.

You can try to justify it any way that you want...but it's not about me "taking a long trip down off my high horse"...it's about YOU realizing that what you're advocating on a public forum is ILLEGAL, and a slap in the face to the person that was willing enough to share knowledge (albeit, for a fee) that has been a well-kept industry secret for many years. Not only is it illegal, it's disrespectful. The really sad thing, is that the cost is so minimal that anyone can afford it.

Maybe someday YOU will create something worthwhile and valuable....only to have it given away by some douchebag on the internet. Karma is a bitch that way.

Now go have a shitty day, "Sir".
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Wow the only thing I advacate is use the internet for its intended purpose. Searching for info. And sharing info. That's what I thought this forum was about but it seems like its mostly troll bullying.

You must have a **** load of CD,s at home , and ad free apps. On your smart phone Glass house.

I said good day. Mine will be great
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can understand that the price for The Tuning School is a little high and the price for HPT is up there too because people don't just have 500+ bucks lying around to go and purchase it.

But, c'mon man Greg Banish's book is only 17 bucks on Amazon.com.

Dan Maslic's book is 44 bucks.

No matter how you look at it, you've wasted more than that on dumb **** somewhere in your life. So, why not just buy the book.

Quick Reply: The Tuning School