Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega squirt? Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mega squirt? Opinions

Ok so I'm not new to cars just new to computer tuning, I'm going from a 454 in my chevelle to an lq4 with a single gt45 and a cam, how do you guys like microsquirt? Do you recomend it? I've never computer tuned anything so what all will I need and how easy does it work with the factory computer? Will I have a tough time figuring out how to tune it?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my Microsquirt, I to had no tuning experience and it was a lot easier than I thought. I did the "pay a tuner" thing on some other projects and just felt raped.

Although Microsquirt has some limitations for a normal 'hotrod' its perfect..... For the money I think its the best value out there for the DIY kind of guy.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

There are a few threads on here about the pros and cons. I've always wondered why anyone would bother with megasquirt or microsquirt on a LS engine when a factory harness and PCM are cheaper and will do as much if not more. I also like an OBDII interface, which I don't imagine MS has. I'm sure there are some applications where it might be a better option than a factory PCM but probably nothing I'll ever need.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

search here in the FI section and as well as on megasquirts forum, you'll see that ALOT of people love them.

I want to buy one just to be able to build it up (i'm nerdy like that )

they are a GREAT alternative to when you start becoming limited with the stock pcm

alot of great features that the stock pcm will never have

boost control, bumpbox, meth timing duel maps 16 injector drivers *my favorite* bluetooth interface meaning no million miles of cables connected from teh computer to the car

the factory PCM dosnt hold a chance in comparison to what the MS's are capable of.

i've been interested in them since Parish was running them back in the days (loooooooooong time ago)
Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

I need to look into MS more. I need a PCM and harness for the 5.3 that's going into my 67 GMC but my 69 Firebird is getting a turbo 6.0. I could switch to MS on that one and use that harness and PCM in the truck. I don't know that I'd need the extra features of the MS but I do have a meth injection kit so maybe it would be worth doing.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

just microsquirt it, have your whole system with a wiring harness for CHEAP!

i'm sure you've read Matt's builds with all his megasquirted turbo cars. that should give you an idea of their potential.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

I've been looking at the MS websites. I've looked at them in the past as well. They are a little confusing, but I guess for the price I still don't see the benefit. Anything below MS3 seems limited in comparison to a stock PCM. An assembled MS3 ECU with MS3X so that you have sequential injection is over $600. For an application that didn't come with EFI it is a good option compared to say DFI or XFI, but when you can buy LS1 PCMs all day for $100, and they do most of what MS3 will do, short of the boost and meth control, I don't see what benefit you get for all the extra money. And a factory PCM works with any OBDII scan tools, tuners, or accessories. I see the MS3 has driver's for 6 external relays, I suppose those could be used for some of the functions of the factory PCM such as fans and AC compressor.

I guess in even the most extreme LS application what does a MS3 benefit that justifies another $550 over a stock PCM? I don't imagine a harness is any cheaper when it's all said and done. Looks like you need a stock harness plus a MS harness, so there's another $85 over the cost of a factory harness/PCM.

I'm not trying to say MS isn't worth using, just trying to get a better understanding of what benefits it can offer over a factory LS PCM
Old 07-28-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

how much does HPtuners or EFIlive cost?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Reject
how much does HPtuners or EFIlive cost?
True. For me personally, I've got 5 vehicles with LS engines, so it's well worth the cost. And for the debate to use MS or not on the 69, it's not a factor since I already have it. The other nice thing about those two tuners is once you have one and know how to tune, you can do it for others and recoup some of the investment or sell it when you're done with it.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

holy ****, yeah it would be cheaper to tune 5 different vehicles if they all are modded out vs stand alones

but for the OP it's a great option, especially since it can Autotune by itself since he said he had little experience with computer tuning
Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Reject
holy ****, yeah it would be cheaper to tune 5 different vehicles if they all are modded out vs stand alones

but for the OP it's a great option, especially since it can Autotune by itself since he said he had little experience with computer tuning
Ah, I didn't realize it would do that. I've got DFI I'm putting on a Pontiac engine. If I hadn't got it all used for a good price, I'd probably be looking at MS for that. I want to put micro squirt on my carbureted R1. I hate messing with carbs lol.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

go to the link on my sig to see a few vids showing how simple the Micro is to wire and run on an engine. Got non-computer controlled trans applications, it's hard to beat. Also if you want to control a trans just ad another mcrosquirt. It's great for a tinkerer and someone who wants to say and build the whole thing.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Launching!

thanks for all the advice fellas i ended up going with the ms2 v3 already setup for the lsx 24tooth wheel, now i just have to wire the car up!

Quick Reply: Mega squirt? Opinions