Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners rocks :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HP Tuners rocks :)

I got mine today ... spent several hours playing with it out in the car (it's nice having a wireless lan and laptop in the car... I was on the net chatting with friends while I was playing with my PCM)

I went through a USB to Serial adapter to test it... (I bought it so I can have my LM1 logging with HP Tuners)

The serial adapter I used is:
http://sewelldev.com/usbtoserial.asp

worked great on my 333mhz Pentium II laptop running W2K and only 96MB of RAM ...

Read took 3:30 which I confirmed with HP Tuners was because I went through the USB to Serial adapter... went much faster when I went direct through serial...

Writes took forever though a whopping 28 SECONDS to write the PCM

I backed up the PCM in the car (LS1 Edit locked)
Removed the PCM
Put my Spare PCM in (also a 2000 PCM)
Read that PCM (that PCM was dyno tuned ... i had it tuned so that I could read the tune and put the tune on my stock PCM so I could modify w/edit w/out worrying about killing the PCM... no worries now)
Reflashed the PCM (28 seconds hehe)

Now I'm ready to sell my edit (and loose my *** on it... but HP Tuners is much better IMHO)

However, I do have a couple complaints about the product

1. I'm used to reads taking 17 minutes ... so I usually would start a read, walk away , grab a soda, take a crap whatever... well this product is too damn fast...

2. I'm used to writes taking 3-4 minutes... this program took 28 seconds... 28 seconds! not even enough time for me to get out of the car and have a cigarette!

Now for the things I like about it

1. I can now flash my PCM anywhere w/out fear of being stranded (w/edit... after I killed my PCM once, I was scared to flash anywhere w/out having tools and my spare PCM with me) (w/out fear of being stranded since tuner has auto PCM recovery built in it works really well too... I pulled the PCM fuses during a write to test ... it recovered it and the car still started )

2. I can flash my PCM VERY quickly between runs now... I can make changes in the staging lanes and flash it before I'm up to run

3. Support is awesome! I had a few questions for them... I asked Keith and he got back to me RIGHT AWAY ... this is friday night late when everyone should be partying

This software simply ownz I can't wait to get it for my 04 Grand Prix (It's already out for 98-03 Grand Prix ... but the 04 is a different motor )
Old 04-30-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

waiting for it to come out for 98 f-body's
Old 04-30-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Assassin

It's coming... I was talking to Keith@hptuners about it the other day... it won't be long ... and once it's here I guarantee You'll be happy with it Just be patient (well easy for me to say I already have it hehe sorry ) ... You WILL be extremely happy with it
Old 05-01-2004, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear... how about user friendly? Do you have to be an expert to use it or can a nooB or novice use it fairly easy?

Im looking to buy one myself
Old 05-01-2004, 12:03 AM
FormerVendor

thanks for the kind words and glad you are happy with the product

we are working hard to continually improve the product and respond to users needs and issues.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Tuning is never n00b friendly. Everything in the ecu works in balance, and the wrong approach, or your approach may work, but not be the best approach.

Truly the skill lies in the tuner still.

That is until someone writes a logfile analyzer to make corrections automagically for you.

DTA (standalone) can do this with a narrow/wideband. So can megasquirt ($200 to build).

Thats what we need Plug up an Lm-1 and a good base map then let the software drive around and tweak in the perfect ltrims and timing based on feedback from logging.

Can't be that hard. if i had the time i'd **** with it.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ditto man, I just got mine in the mail yesterday and it freaking rocks! I've seen friends use edit and I remember them hooking it up and saying ok lets go eat while it's downloading! Anyway I had never used LS1Edit before this and didn't find it difficult to use at all, then again I'm a computer programmer so it may be a little easier for me to pick up but still simple if you ask me. GREAT PRODUCT!

-Sly

Oh ya only draw back was that I got anxious and had to go out and buy a new laptop to use it, ended up spending $1600 yesterday
Old 05-01-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

ya'll just need to go shop at the homebody shopping network for y0 lapt0pz.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

hmmm..i should get a laptop... it's such a pain carrying my 21" monitor and tower into the car everytime I wanna autotap...
Old 05-01-2004, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, I dunno how this price compares to what you guys have or have looked at but I bought mine from Circuit city, AMD XP M 2800, w/512MB, 40GB HD, DVD/CD-RW etc. etc. for only $850, the rest of the $ I spent was for other stuff to go along with and for the HPTuners intself.

-Sly
Old 05-01-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn that's alot of laptop for not much money...

I originally bought a nice 1ghz (was one of the best out their in december 2001) ... then found out that it didn't have a serial port (car was in storage... went to use the laptop saw no serial port... got pissed cause it was a 2100 dollar laptop... bought an adapter... used ls1 edit, lost connection. PCM no start car )

So I bought a cheapy 333mhz laptop for 200 and I just keep it in my car all the time (everyone knows me as the autotap guy heh... cause I always have my laptop and autotap available)
Old 05-01-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, HPTuners is mighty cool and Keith is wonderfully easy to work with.

Josh
Old 05-01-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much for a HP Tuner for 2001 Camaro SS?
Old 05-01-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

they are a sponsor ------>
Should be $510 with the shipping
Old 05-01-2004, 06:43 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Horist, I need to check it out.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Assassin
I feel your pain! I want it and need it for the heads and cam! Could 98 guys like myself change out the pcm yr to 99 and up, and program that **** to work? Justa thought...I hate having a 98 But it was the yr that started it all
Old 05-01-2004, 07:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
hmmm..i should get a laptop... it's such a pain carrying my 21" monitor and tower into the car everytime I wanna autotap...

LOL
Old 05-01-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dom
Horist, I need to check it out.
aye aye... next time it's nice out we could meet up at BK or McDs and I can show ya... I should have my Wideband setup all wired up by then too
Old 05-03-2004, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a way to have someone tune via email? Like if I get HP Tuners, but since I'm a newbie (and no one I know in Hawaii has one yet), get a custom tune from someone, and then download it to my car's PCM?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

i'm sure. might ask on the hptuners.com board.

what you can do (legally) is get a copy of ls1edit (edit) and copy all the #'s over to hptuners. There's a bunch of "tunes" on ls1edit.com, just gotta get a copy of the ls1edit. Then convert the VE table differences using excel since hptuners uses a different method.

try the hptuners.com board theres bound to be some mail order tuners around. best to learn it yourself but there are ALOT of things to tweak. Everyone has their own "method" of tuning it seems.