Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
You can write a 2002 F-Body VIN to a Silverado / Suburban / Tahoe, Corvette, etc. OS on a P01 (411 style) controller.

You can't create a mismatched or corrupted VIN / OS pair, but you can license one which is a new feature.
Can you elaborate? How do you license it if you can't create it?
Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
Thanks for the tips. I had previously found that parameter under the fuel tab and I looked through all the other tabs and could not find anything else related.

The issue I was having turned out to be an issue in the calibration. I was using the 05 savanna base file and I had all the flex fuel functions and tables populated. I've been driving the car around on e85 with no issues, however in the VCM scanner, I could not get the "alcohol percent" to change from 0% or the commanded AFR to change.

Yesterday I decided to pony up 2 credits for an 05 Avalanche flex fuel tune to fix the logging issues. I used the new "segment swapper" feature and swapped over the 4l80e segment to the avalanche tune. Immediately when I started scanning, the "alcohol percent" read 33% and the commanded AFR adjusted accordingly as well. So, small win.

After trying the Avalanche file and playing with the segment swapper tool, I seen you can actually swap over the engine segment. Taking the base 05 Savanna file and the 05 flex fuel file, I swapped over the engine segment and this accomplished the same thing. I had full flex fuel capabilities including logging and this route does not cost any credits! Too bad I already wasted $100!

The 05 Avalanche is a DBW vehicle and I'm using DBC. This posed to not be an issue at all. The calibration has all the parameters for the iac and they are all populated so the motor ran just fine with the DBW tune. As long as the PCM is from a DBC vehicle it will operate a DBC engine regardless of the OS. This seems to be true for the P59 ecm's and I'm betting the P01 ecm's as well.

I still haven't played with flex fuel adder tables yet. Recently, I swapped my 3 bar brick style sensor for the ls9 map and my injectors for ID1000s. These changes are giving me some issues that I'm sorting out yet.
2 questions for you

the LS9 map senor is working ok? you were able to use a negative number for the map sensor offset?

I have a 2005 2500hd with LQ4, ive been wanting to add the flexfuel sensor. my truck uses 12592618 OS, the flex fuel avalanche 5.3L also uses 12592618 OS. from what I understand from your post. I need to segment swap the engine segment into my PCM and then copy all my engine tables over the 5.3L tables?
Old 04-15-2015, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr
Anyone get anywhere with this?
Yes, mine works. The car isn't complete enough to drive, but the sensor reads alcohol content through the PCM and I can monitor that in HP Tuners. I'm using a P01 or 411 (red / blue) PCM with a 2002 Tahoe flex OS and a flex sensor from an equinox I believe.

Originally Posted by patSS/00
Can you elaborate? How do you license it if you can't create it?
If you happen across a situation where the VIN is incorrect for the PCM (some other software applications can write ANY vin to the PCM) you can license it with HP Tuners. HP Tuners will not allow you to create a mismatched VIN and will throw an error when you try to save it.

Example:
You have a "411" style (red / blue) PCM with a 1999 OS on it for a 1999 F-Body. You swap the PCM OS with a 2002 Tahoe flex OS because you want the flex tables. Same PCM, same car, new OS. HP Tuners will NOT allow you to write the 1999 VIN to the 2002 OS - even though it is the same physical PCM. They consider this invalid and the system stops you. You CAN write the OS to that PCM with a valid for 2002 VIN.

My situation:
I have a 1997 Thunderbird with a 5.3 or my 1961 Impala 6.0. I can't enter the Ford VIN or my 1961 Impala VIN (that isn't even 16 characters) in the GM PCM because HP Tuners sees those as invalid and won't allow me to create it. Again, I could read it and potentially license it as an individual (non group / blanket license).

Since reading / licensing and creating are two separate functions, you won't have to worry about reading or licensing it (with the current version of HP Tuners), only creation of what HP Tuners deems an invalid match. This isn't broken, it is how HP Tuners chose to structure their PCM recognition and licensing. Their competitor EFI Live uses a different method to lock the PCM's which is why they allow VIN overwrites to "non legal" for the PCM / operating system character combinations.

I hope this makes sense, I'm super tired and falling asleep at my keyboard right now. Haha

Last edited by gofastwclass; 04-15-2015 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camarokid6771
2 questions for you

the LS9 map senor is working ok? you were able to use a negative number for the map sensor offset?

I have a 2005 2500hd with LQ4, ive been wanting to add the flexfuel sensor. my truck uses 12592618 OS, the flex fuel avalanche 5.3L also uses 12592618 OS. from what I understand from your post. I need to segment swap the engine segment into my PCM and then copy all my engine tables over the 5.3L tables?
1. The latest version of Hptuners now enables you to enter negative values so you can input the appropriate settings for the ls9 map sensor. It seems to be working just fine, however, I have some very high VE table values. This may be caused by something else though.

2. I ended up using the entire flex fuel file but from what I remember, swapping the engine segment accomplished the same thing and if your original file is already licensed, swapping segments will not cost you.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, mine works. The car isn't complete enough to drive, but the sensor reads alcohol content through the PCM and I can monitor that in HP Tuners. I'm using a P01 or 411 (red / blue) PCM with a 2002 Tahoe flex OS and a flex sensor from an equinox I believe.
Yes i know this is possible, the problem is for those of us running custom operating systems for 2 and 3 bar sensors. The 411 pcm doesn't have a COS that is also flex fuel capable, at least from what i have seen anyway. Thus it looks like the only route for flex fuel sensor and forced induction is to swap to a GTO pcm, repin the harness, then install a COS that is flex fuel capable.

I was wondering if anyone had gotten the GTO pcm working with flex fuel and a 2 or 3 bar map sensor. It seems that the road block on this is the COS have the option to enable flex fuel, but unless that OS was originally flex fuel then all the back ground tables aren't there to make it work properly....
Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gpr
Yes i know this is possible, the problem is for those of us running custom operating systems for 2 and 3 bar sensors. The 411 pcm doesn't have a COS that is also flex fuel capable, at least from what i have seen anyway. Thus it looks like the only route for flex fuel sensor and forced induction is to swap to a GTO pcm, repin the harness, then install a COS that is flex fuel capable.

I was wondering if anyone had gotten the GTO pcm working with flex fuel and a 2 or 3 bar map sensor. It seems that the road block on this is the COS have the option to enable flex fuel, but unless that OS was originally flex fuel then all the back ground tables aren't there to make it work properly....
Which PCM are you calling the GTO PCM? There were two PCM's in GTO's, a P59 for 2004 and an E40 for 2005 and 2006. For Flex on a P59 you need a VIN Z 2003 Tahoe or Silverado with OS 12579405 which has the flex tables and similar wiring to the P01. I've never messed with an E40 from a flex fuel angle.

There is a 2 and 3 bar MAP conversion for the 12579405 OS in HP Tuners, but I haven't tried them since the vehicle I worked on didn't need that or flex fuel.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Which PCM are you calling the GTO PCM? There were two PCM's in GTO's, a P59 for 2004 and an E40 for 2005 and 2006. For Flex on a P59 you need a VIN Z 2003 Tahoe or Silverado with OS 12579405 which has the flex tables and similar wiring to the P01. I've never messed with an E40 from a flex fuel angle.

There is a 2 and 3 bar MAP conversion for the 12579405 OS in HP Tuners, but I haven't tried them since the vehicle I worked on didn't need that or flex fuel.
The P59 PCM would be the best one to use, as it is closes to the f-body wiring. The big thing that i am not sure if it will work, is the COS with flex fuel. I think you need an original OS that is flex fuel capable to start with... Also I have read where in the background there are Flex Fuel tables needed. Do the COS have this?

Also i use efiLive so I'm not concerned with the vin part of it. I'm wondering if their COS will work doing it this way. My car is down right now, but in a few months i might give this a try.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gpr
The P59 PCM would be the best one to use, as it is closes to the f-body wiring. The big thing that i am not sure if it will work, is the COS with flex fuel. I think you need an original OS that is flex fuel capable to start with... Also I have read where in the background there are Flex Fuel tables needed. Do the COS have this?

Also i use efiLive so I'm not concerned with the vin part of it. I'm wondering if their COS will work doing it this way. My car is down right now, but in a few months i might give this a try.
Maybe I wasn't clear about the VIN thing. I'm referring to the eighth digit which denotes the engine combination. In this case you need a base file from a VIN Z vehicle, those are flex fuel from the factory. I'm not saying it can't be enabled in a non-flex vehicle, I just know a VIN Z vehicle worked from the factory which is one less hurdle to jump through. The only P59 controlled flex OS vehicles I've tuned didn't have forced induction, so I never played with a custom OS on it.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bigmandengo
1. The latest version of Hptuners now enables you to enter negative values so you can input the appropriate settings for the ls9 map sensor. It seems to be working just fine, however, I have some very high VE table values. This may be caused by something else though.

2. I ended up using the entire flex fuel file but from what I remember, swapping the engine segment accomplished the same thing and if your original file is already licensed, swapping segments will not cost you.
thanks. ive been running e85 for about a year by just switching the stoich value. sometims the hot restart suffer depending on the ethanol content. hopefully the sensor helps. I have the sensor sitting on the shelf, just install and wire. im already licensed so ill try the segment swap first.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The switches to fully enable it are not there in either EFILive or HP Tuners...
Old 05-03-2015, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

So input a p59 in my camaro, enabled the flex fuel options and i can see ethanol % on the scanner. As far as tables for flex on the 59 all i can find is an afr vs ethanol% and there is a timing modifying table(left zeroed for now). Is the only way to confirm im getting more fuel based off ethanol % to log afr with my wideband?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
So input a p59 in my camaro, enabled the flex fuel options and i can see ethanol % on the scanner. As far as tables for flex on the 59 all i can find is an afr vs ethanol% and there is a timing modifying table(left zeroed for now). Is the only way to confirm im getting more fuel based off ethanol % to log afr with my wideband?
Log the commanded Afr. This value should decrease with higher ethanol contents.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gpr

There is NO reasonable way to due a true Flex-Fuel COS tune. There is no COS OS that has the tables. And EFI live has abandoned this pcm.

Hp Tuners on the other hand can support true flex-fuel capability for 99-02 with 2 bar+. But I'm not buying Hp tuners just to get that.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:12 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
There is NO reasonable way to due a true Flex-Fuel COS tune. There is no COS OS that has the tables. And EFI live has abandoned this pcm.

Hp Tuners on the other hand can support true flex-fuel capability for 99-02 with 2 bar+. But I'm not buying Hp tuners just to get that.
Even if you start with a tune that is flex fuel capable and install a COS for it, the COS will not be flex fuel capable?

I thought the biggest thing was to have the base flex fuel file to have all the info and background tables for the COS?

So the people adding the flex fuel sensor to their f-body, I'm guessing they are not using custom operating systems????
Old 05-05-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gpr
Even if you start with a tune that is flex fuel capable and install a COS for it, the COS will not be flex fuel capable?

I thought the biggest thing was to have the base flex fuel file to have all the info and background tables for the COS?

So the people adding the flex fuel sensor to their f-body, I'm guessing they are not using custom operating systems????
The COS OS# HAS to match to the corresponding OEM 1 bar OS. There is no corresponding COS for the L59 Tahoe tune that's widely available.

To answer your question, yes, they are not using COS tunes.

It would be possible to use a 2004 GTO flex fuel OS, however, that requires repinning of the PCM which is not something I want to do.

I don't know if there were any Flex Fuel silverados in 2002, but it may be worth looking into to see if there are any operating systems that match available COS's.

Additionally, the other option is to get someone with the ability to do hard code writing to segment swap the Flex fuel tahoe engine segment onto an 02 COS.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I have been looking into this myself. I have a 99 C5 and I would like flex fuel as well. It's my understanding that the 2004 c5 pcm has the flex fuel capabilities. Is this true? So my vette uses the PO1 and the 04 uses the P59. Both are C5's so would everything swap over? Then I could just buy the sensor and wire it in?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Alright i have swapped a 2004 p59 with the right drivers into my camaro. Is there any way to make an express or like mentioned earlier in this thread an avalanche tune work for a t56. Also of note i have the service vehicle light on as well as the traction control does not work.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Also of note i have the service vehicle light on as well as the traction control does not work.
Traction control? Your car still had working traction control? I think disabling that and skip shift that were two of my first mods. Haha

What are the code(s)? It's all a guess without them.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Alright i have swapped a 2004 p59 with the right drivers into my camaro. Is there any way to make an express or like mentioned earlier in this thread an avalanche tune work for a t56. Also of note i have the service vehicle light on as well as the traction control does not work.
So do all P59's have the flex fuel capability?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

There are no associated codes. The service vehicle light is BCM codes and i guess hp doesnt scan these? I get the light whether running my normal 411 with a tahoe flex fuel OS or a p59 running flex. Ive gotten both to work but my asr has an error and im assuming that is what is triggering the the service vehicle light

Quick Reply: Using the GM flex fuel sensor on an Fbody