PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

High Rpm Skip/ Miss in 1st Gear Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Rpm Skip/ Miss in 1st Gear Only

I posted this in Gen 3 section also but im not sure if its not tune related so im posting in this section too, please dont delete!

I have a 2002 Z28 i bought bone stock from original owner with 34,000 miles on it

At 40,000 miles the car felt like it was hitting an early rev limiter in 1st gear only around 6000rpm, then would pull past it with no problem to redline, mind you only in 1st gear

I took it apart to add a 610 lift, 230/232 cam on 112, brian tooley 660 lift springs, new ls2 timing chian, long tubes, p&p TB,no cats, no rear 02's, 42lb injectors, walboro 255, and Ngk tr55s gapped at 50

Fired car up and it did the same thing in 1st gear, i pulled my MSD wires off and Ohmed them, and they were all the same at 25 omh, brought it to my tuner and he tuned out " torque managment" with HPT and car ran fine for 2,000+ miles

the other day i hit it in first gear, and at around 6200rpm the same problem is back, feels like it hits rev limiter for a second then pulls clean past it to 6500, i revved the car to 65/6600 rpm many times in every other gear ( well besides 6th) and it pulls flawlessly, besides 1st gear!

I dont want to hear the tach is slow and thats the problem since i know ive revved it past where my problem is many times

I cleaned my MAF, changed my plugs with a fresh set of tr55s, and inspected them and they looked perfect but the problem is still there, again only in 1st gear. Disconnected the MAF and no change, checked for vac leaks and found none.

I watch my Wide band when the problem happens and it doesnt seem to be fuel related.

The car will throw an occasional po300 code if i let it idle for long periods of time, but no other changes

We still have to work on hot and cold start up on the tune, but i just cant seem to figure out what would make the car do this in only 1st gear?!?!?!!

Quick Reply: High Rpm Skip/ Miss in 1st Gear Only