Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure and Wideband!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure and Wideband!

So I know that HPTuners can log fuel pressure if I take a pressure sensor and put it at the end of my rail and run the signal to and old 5 volt referenced sensor i/e EGR, tank pressure, a/c etc. Has anyone done this? I feel that it would help me monitor fuel pressure as boost rises, because as we all know when your really getting into the boost, somethings just happen too fast to pay attention.

I also have two widebands, one for each bank, I have one running to my MPVI and the other one is there for dyno tuning with someone else dyno. Now I could wire one wide band in permanently so I can always log it or I can leave it as is or I could hard wire both of them permanently. What do you guys think?

I really think it would be cool to have both of them hard wired but then if I ever have someone else tune my car they will need to have their Config set up the same way I do. I have four O2 port between both of my down pipes just for this reason.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done this using a SW electric fuel pressure gauge
and a Kavlivo sender, and it works (but calibration is
kinda on you - I have it all plumbed into a cheapo
Actron mechanical gauge so I can at least get the
endpoints, eyeball and logged, and assume linearity.

I don't favor hardwiring widebands unless buying a
pair of $40 O2 sensors every few months is in your
budget. Cool, OK, but is "entertainment value" your
priority?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

No "entertainment value needed?". While my budget for my car is large, it is not huge. I had no idea widebands would last a few months? I plan to watch fuel pressure for sure, might even add an oil temp sensor? I know when I added my oil cooler to my car, the temps stayed more constant even after I made a few passes, now that I added turbos, I want to make sure everything stays in check. Why would widebands wear out if hardwired?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

You're crazy if you're not running a wideband permanently wired in. An aem sensor will last an easy 50, 000 miles. And alot if fuel sensors can even do their own logging.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thats what I thought. I have one wideband running to my gauge, but I would want it hardwired into my PCM so I can log it along side my other data, so I don't have to hook it up all the time when I log. Make histograms and ****, you know.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

You dont have a MVPI Pro? You can log a bunch of external gauges that way, its a bit easier than going through the PCM. I have mine so I just log with the interface and it's connected to my wideband that I have in my pillar.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The wideband sensor goes bad quick if you don't get
it hot before you start the motor. Mine was fine until
I left it hooked up in the car for a few weeks and then
it went south pretty quick.

If you have a setup that turns on with the key and
you discipline yourself to give it a few seconds of
warmup, maybe it'll live longer than mine did. But no
way should you let it sit in the soup unpowered or
power it up after motor start.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by schnellttz06
You dont have a MVPI Pro? You can log a bunch of external gauges that way, its a bit easier than going through the PCM. I have mine so I just log with the interface and it's connected to my wideband that I have in my pillar.
I do have an MPVI Pro, just looking for a way to clean things up. My wideband gauge is always hooked up so why not just wire the signal in permanently? A few other things I could wire in too, like fuel pressure, oil temp, heck even oil pressure since the 0411 doesn't log it from factory. This is on a swap if you are wondering.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Well, not sure on your setup, but on mine I have the wire from my wideband ran to the green connector and I just leave it in my console until I want to do some logging and then just plug it into the MVPI interface. I also thought about making a harness for the other gauges you mentioned. As for longevity, some widebands aren't as good as others and use cheap sensors. I can tell you for a fact that Bosch ones will last at least 6 years and 50k miles. That is way past what even AEM recommends and I only got a new one because I built a completely new engine so just for good measure I replaced it. But the old one was still working, Im not sure if widebands get sluggish over time like narrowbands do, but it's something to consider as well.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

My wideband is hard wired as well. I have a digital gauge and also wired it into the fuel tank pressure input for logging. I reworked some of the histograms to reference the wideband A/F ratio.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure and Wideband!