Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges not working...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gauges not working...

SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT NEEDS TO MAKE A STICKY ON THIS SUBJECT. I'VE CAME ACROSS NUMEROUS THREADS ON THIS TOPIC BUT HAVE YET TO GET AN ACCURATE ANSWER...

I have this posted in the electronics forum but Im not getting much feedback. Ive got a 98 TA but the engine harness, gauge cluster and computer are 99-02. My gauge lights come on as well as the indicators etc but I have no readings on any of the actual gauges, oil pressure, water temp, volts or even RPMs. I thought it might be that the gauges were the 98 so I switched those to a set from 99-02 but still nothing. I really need to get this issue resolved, any ideas?

P.S. Ive checked the gauges fuse and its fine, what else could it be? The only wiring that has been messed with, to my knowledge, are the ones down by the shifter. I installed a Hurst QS. I wouldnt think anything down there would effect my gauges but who knows. Any help would be greatly appeciated, thanks!

Last edited by B(o)(o)sted98TA; 11-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I got the pinouts from a member on here and repinned a few wires on the connectors by the passenger side kick panel.
I got my oil pressure and volts gauges to work, however, I still don't have a reading on my water temp or my RPMs...
Can someone please help me out here. I know someone has the answer
Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Staging Lane

Anybody?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Can someone tell me where the tach output wire is that comes out of the pcm and goes to the connector by the passenger side kick panel?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by B(o)(o)sted98TA
I have this posted in the electronics forum but Im not getting much feedback. Ive got a 98 TA but the engine harness and computer are 99-02. My gauge lights come on as well as the indicators etc but I have no readings on any of the actual gauges, oil pressure, water temp, volts or even RPMs. I thought it might be that the gauges were the 98 so I switched those to a set from 99-02 but still nothing. I really need to get this issue resolved, any ideas?

P.S. Ive checked the gauges fuse and its fine, what else could it be? The only wiring that has been messed with, to my knowledge, are the ones down by the shifter. I installed a Hurst QS. I wouldnt think anything down there would effect my gauges but who knows. Any help would be greatly appeciated, thanks!
the issue you are having is that the 98 gauge cluster will not work with a 99-02 pcm....
the 99-02 pcm puts out a digital serial data signal that covers all the gauges except for the oil pressure....the 98 gauge cluster uses anolog signals for each gauge individually....you choice of getting a 99-02 gauge cluster is what you have to do to get it all to work....

knowing that...

the Digital Serial Data comes from Pin #58 of the Blue connector

the oil pressure signal on all 98-02 fbodys was wired directly to the oil pressure sensor, and it s a single wire sensor that uses a pull down voltage to read the pressure.

on the 99-02 pcm there is a tach output for an aftermarket tach out on pin #10 white wire on the RED connector if I recall correctly..

also, this may help for anything else you may need.....
its very possible you have all the right stuff going to the dash, but no signals coming into the pcm to send to the dash.....meaning, possibly no coolant temperature because the ECT sensor is not pinned correctly, or no speedo because of no VSS signal...

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/99pinpcm.htm
Old 10-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 99+ gauge cluster also, and my volts and oil pressure are working...
Speedo doesnt work due to the th400, ill have to splice into the wheel speed sensor for that I think.
Where should the white wire for the tach be going? Doesnt it run down to the connectors behind the kick panel? Do you know which one goes to the dash on the 98 Body Harness?
And what do you mean about the ECT sensor?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Check out this site. It really helped me along on my 99 ls1 swap into a v6 98 car. Still rolling the 98 cluster. Got all my gauges working except for fuel, but thats due to the fuel segment i must change in the pcm.

http://lt1swap.com/98-02_ls1.htm
Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I hooked up the WHT wire from pin#10 on the ECU, Tach signal correct? I hooked it up to the C230(?) connector behind the kick panel into pin D which shows to be for the Tach signal to dash. Got all that done and still no reading on the Tach?

Any other input??? I'm stumped.

Also on the C105 connector on the shock tower (the WHT wire (tach signal) that goes into pin G) is there supposed to be another wire coming out the other side (the side closest to front of car?)

Last edited by B(o)(o)sted98TA; 10-10-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

I could really use sone help to get this done by the weekend.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:45 PM
8 Second Club

I have a 99+ gauge cluster also, and my volts and oil pressure are working...
Speedo doesnt work due to the th400, ill have to splice into the wheel speed sensor for that I think.
Where should the white wire for the tach be going? Doesnt it run down to the connectors behind the kick panel? Do you know which one goes to the dash on the 98 Body Harness?
And what do you mean about the ECT sensor?
if you have a sensor that is not working, it wont read, and wont show up on the gauges....
so what I mean by the ECT sensor, is that you need to verify thru the PCM and a scan tool that ECT is indeeed working....
the ECT Gauge not working could be as simple as the PCM not seeing any data from the ECT sensor...which could be a bad sensor, or it could be just a simple problem of the pins from the sensor in the wrong holes in the pcm

the Tach is normally sent down the Serial Data line to the gauge cluster...
if you dont have it straight from the pcm data signal, then you either dont have the correct wire going to the gauge cluster, or you dont have a working cluster, or you dont have a crank signal going to the pcm...
if the vehicle starts, then you have a crank signal, and we can eliminate the sensor as the problem

the White wire # 10 will not drive the factory gauge cluster...it is for an aftermarket tach such as one you might buy from Autometer...
it is also a 4 cylinder style signal(why GM chose this instead of an 8 cylinder signal...I have no idea)

Correct on the Wheel speed sensor... you will need to splice into on of the rear wheel sensors, and then change settings in the pcm to reflect the new pulse per rotation and pulse per mile settings.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, well I just got my tach working this afternoon, I spliced into pin G on the 105 connector, ran that through the firewall to pin D on the C230 connector.

Now I just need to do my ECT. The sensor is brand new so I doubt thats the issue. Question is, do I have the right one? It has 2 wires coming out of it, am I supposed to have 3?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:01 PM
8 Second Club

Ok, well I just got my tach working this afternoon, I spliced into pin G on the 105 connector, ran that through the firewall to pin D on the C230 connector.

Now I just need to do my ECT. The sensor is brand new so I doubt thats the issue. Question is, do I have the right one? It has 2 wires coming out of it, am I supposed to have 3?
2 wires is correct I believe...
Blue Connector pin 74 for signal, pin 80 for ground
Old 10-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so where do they go from there? Is that just the input on the pcm? Where do I need to go from there?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Well if you havent got the ect issue solved its a tad bit tricky. the 99-02 years did use a 2 pin connector. one for the ect readings for the computer and a ground. but as stated this was one of the gauges that uses the serial. you can not just tap into the yellow wire to go to the cluster because it will read way off. you might need a 3 pin ect. one wire for ground, signal for computer, and signal for cluster. 99-02 are a hassle to put into a 98 due to the 98 being the oddball year.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Evandini
Well if you havent got the ect issue solved its a tad bit tricky. the 99-02 years did use a 2 pin connector. one for the ect readings for the computer and a ground. but as stated this was one of the gauges that uses the serial. you can not just tap into the yellow wire to go to the cluster because it will read way off. you might need a 3 pin ect. one wire for ground, signal for computer, and signal for cluster. 99-02 are a hassle to put into a 98 due to the 98 being the oddball year.
It has to be the 2 wire one...it cannot be the 3 wire one...
They do not have the same calibration or even the same type of signal...
2 wire is resistance in ohms...
3 wire is based on output voltage.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Teching In

^ with that being said it seems you have quite the in depth knowledge about this so maybe you could help me out. i have a 98 v6 body but dropped a 99 ls1 with the 99 engine harness and a 00 pcm. so the interior wiring is still all 98 as well as the cluster. all my gauges work except temp and fuel. so is there a way to get the temp gauge to work with the 98 cluster? i know 99-02 ran a serial wire but i figured you may have some inside info. or do i have to get a 99-02 cluster?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:55 AM
8 Second Club

Serial wire is the only way for both...
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

So if running a 99-02 PCM in a 98 you need a 99-02 gauge cluster? Isn't there a way to get a tuner/programmer to reprogram a PCM to accept the 98 harness/signal?
Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

Not possible to reprogram it....
Its analog in the 98's and digital in the 99-02....
No way around it.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

So do I need to splice into the Yellow wire coming from #74 and run it into Pin K (DK GRN - Coolant temperature feed to instrument cluster) on the the C220 Connector?

Quick Reply: Gauges not working...