PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob looking to get into tuning. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob looking to get into tuning. What do I need?

I'm looking at the HPtuners VCM Suite Pro package. And also planning on taking taking the 101 and then 102 EFI University courses. Anything else I need to get me off to a good start? Will I need a different tuner to tune other makes of cars? Imports are a lot bigger than domestics in my area so would I need a whole different set up to tune anything besides GM/Ford/Dodge? Any reason why I shouldn't go with HP and get something else? I have a Macbook Pro. Will it be sufficient or do I need something better? Is the software even compatible with Apple computers?
Old 10-06-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hp tuners only works on gm/ford, last I checked barely dodge..

That's it

Hptuners has a forum to help you get started as well
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

So is there any tuner/software I can get that works with American cars as well as import? Also what about my apple computer?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You willl have to run a windows partition on your MBP since HP TUners software does not run on macs, windows only OS. There is a local tuner here who invested in EFI live to do some things HPT doesn't but main thing he uses is HP Tuners. I'm trying to learn right now also but never messed with it. I got the car to idle and drive around town at lower speeds but still have to figure things outs and am lost as hell. Its not for faint of heart and not a lot of people willing to help ya figure it out without paying them money, even if its a simple question some time. Best place to get an answer would be on HP Tuners forums. THey do discuss other tuning software on there.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I use nothing but Mac, you just have to run parallels. There isn't any tuning software that with work with everything. You'll have to invest a lot of money in different tuning software. It's not economical to tune everything, better to pick one make and model and learn that.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Canada
You willl have to run a windows partition on your MBP since HP TUners software does not run on macs, windows only OS. There is a local tuner here who invested in EFI live to do some things HPT doesn't but main thing he uses is HP Tuners. I'm trying to learn right now also but never messed with it. I got the car to idle and drive around town at lower speeds but still have to figure things outs and am lost as hell. Its not for faint of heart and not a lot of people willing to help ya figure it out without paying them money, even if its a simple question some time. Best place to get an answer would be on HP Tuners forums. THey do discuss other tuning software on there.
Yeah I can already tell it's hard to get good help/advice. Thanks though, I'm gona hit up the HP forum.
Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
I use nothing but Mac, you just have to run parallels. There isn't any tuning software that with work with everything. You'll have to invest a lot of money in different tuning software. It's not economical to tune everything, better to pick one make and model and learn that.
What exactly is a parallel and how do I get it? I guess I'll start with HPtuners and then in a year or 2 get more software and so on as I progress.