Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning guys check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tuning guys check this out!

I recently upgraded my injectors from the stock injectors to Bosch 42# green giant injectors and had the car retuned. I drove the car for about a day and a half and the car developed a miss on cylinder #6. The injector on that cylinder went bad so I contacted the person I bought the injectors from and he sent me a new one. I replaced the bad injector and drove the car yesterday. It ran on all 8 cylinders for the day and started missing again. I felt the header tubes and #6 was cold. I switched injectors and the miss followed that injector. Why would I be having problems with the injectors going bad on #6. The tuner is blaming the injectors but I can't understand why its the same cylinder?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be looking at the wiring and or connection
Old 10-06-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by flame
I'd be looking at the wiring and or connection
I pulled the fuel pump fuse and turned the engine over with just the injector plugged in on number 6. You can feel the good injector pulsing. If I plug one of the bad ones in I feel nothing. I also tested the plug with a multi tester and the voltage is pulsing. Its definitely the injector but why did 2 injectors go bad on the same cylinder? Something is killing these injectors. They worked for a short period of time when I first installed them.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

There is no way in the tune to adjust each injector individually, so it's highly unlikely the tune has anything to do with.
Have u check the grounds?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
HRD
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you have some trash that is getting through the lines clogging that injector. Is it closest to the feed line?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm well lets think about this for a min.....the injectors have 12volt power to them all the time and the PCM controls the ground side to turn them off and on. I'd say its a dam good chance you have a ground problem. I'd check the grd wire back to the PCM carefully. Beyond that you may need to replace the PCM. It maybe be failing causing that injector circuit to stay on killing the injector over a short period of time.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
There is no way in the tune to adjust each injector individually, so it's highly unlikely the tune has anything to do with.
Have u check the grounds?
Yes but the pcm does ground each circuit individually. Is there a possibility that the pcm is grounding that circuit too long and ruining the injector?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Hmmm well lets think about this for a min.....the injectors have 12volt power to them all the time and the PCM controls the ground side to turn them off and on. I'd say its a dam good chance you have a ground problem. I'd check the grd wire back to the PCM carefully. Beyond that you may need to replace the PCM. It maybe be failing causing that injector circuit to stay on killing the injector over a short period of time.
I see what you're saying. It just seems coincidental that this all happened after I had the new injectors installed and the car retuned last weekend. It ran fine before this except for the IDC being 100% with the stock injectors.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Put one of the good injectors from a differant cylinder in #6 and see if it goes bad. If the wire in the harness going back to the pcm gets grounded it will leave the injector on and burn it up
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by td1168
Yes but the pcm does ground each circuit individually. Is there a possibility that the pcm is grounding that circuit too long and ruining the injector?
Anything is possible, I have seen a couple bad pcm's over the years.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What PCM is it?
As rare as it is, I would tend to agree that it seems PCM related...
Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
What PCM is it?
As rare as it is, I would tend to agree that it seems PCM related...
Mike, its the factory PCM that came in my 01 Camaro ss. Do you know if each injector is controlled by separate injector drivers in the pcm or is there one driver that controls all injectors? If there is only one driver that would eliminate this being the problem. I'm only having problems on that cylinder. I checked the wires from the pcm to the injector plugs. There are no shorts.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pacer Racer
Put one of the good injectors from a differant cylinder in #6 and see if it goes bad. If the wire in the harness going back to the pcm gets grounded it will leave the injector on and burn it up
I understand what you are saying but wouldn't that cylinder have flooded and ran real rich? My car idled okay and didn't seem like it was flooding. It had surging issues and the idle didn't come right down to 900 rpm's when I'd come to a stop but I just think that was the tune not being quite right.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it would have flooded and ran rich. How quick did you pull the plug and start diag? The plug might give an indication. But if it ran for a while might not tell. How about installing a noid light and let it idle to get pcm warmed up and see if signal goes solid on?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by td1168
Mike, its the factory PCM that came in my 01 Camaro ss. Do you know if each injector is controlled by separate injector drivers in the pcm or is there one driver that controls all injectors? If there is only one driver that would eliminate this being the problem. I'm only having problems on that cylinder. I checked the wires from the pcm to the injector plugs. There are no shorts.
Yes, I am fairly certain it uses 8 separate drivers for the injectors.

Quick Reply: Tuning guys check this out!