PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast 92 and other upgrades. What could I have done wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast 92 and other upgrades. What could I have done wrong?

I have a 2002 Camaro Z28 with LQ9, 5.3 milled heads, MS4 cam, TPS tune, Kooks LT headers, yank 4000 stall with A4 tranny. It ran fine other than an RPM surge at deceleration or stops sometimes. I installed a Fast 92 intake, 42# injectors, Nick Williams 92mm TB, GM 85mm MAF, 160 degree thermostat, and SLP cold air. I know it will needs custom tune to run right but should it be running like this even without a tune? You have to pump the gas like its carbureted to get it to even start, then it tries to die immediately if you don't feather gas and it sounds like it's missing but might just be it loading up. It is running so rich it's smokes pretty good. I don't want to run it anymore than I have to cause I am scared I am going to float the rings. I have checked all coil packs, temp sensor, plug wires and vacuum hoses.Is there something I could have missed or just didn't hook up right for it to be this bad? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your running 42's on the stock tune that's a big part of the problem. Put your stock injectors back in and see what happens
Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to tune it BEFORE even starting it with bigger injectors! You are running very rich without a tune... and, it is called washing the rings, not floating them - you run it rich and wash the oil film off of the cylinder walls... you float valves, but that is a totally different issue.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
You have to tune it BEFORE even starting it with bigger injectors! You are running very rich without a tune... and, it is called washing the rings, not floating them - you run it rich and wash the oil film off of the cylinder walls... you float valves, but that is a totally different issue.
Yea, washing them my bad, lol. So I just need to trailer it to guy tuning it for me. I don't need to crank it again until he gets tune on then right? You don't think I hurt anything just cranking it do ya? Thanks for help. I thought I had something plugged in wrong or not plugged in at all.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No need to trailer it. Just baby it to the tuner. Narrowbands will determine fuel while in CL.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
No need to trailer it. Just baby it to the tuner. Narrowbands will determine fuel while in CL.
I don't think he needs to drive it with untuned 42lb injectors installed...
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Wow that's some seriously bad advice. Just put your stock injectors back in to make sure the car is sorted out and has no issues. Bring your 42's with you and swap them at the tuners. Not a big deal
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by outkast6991
Wow that's some seriously bad advice. Just put your stock injectors back in to make sure the car is sorted out and has no issues. Bring your 42's with you and swap them at the tuners. Not a big deal
There ya go. Had injectors swapped out at my shop all the time. That is the intelligent thing to do.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by outkast6991
What he said! Some people need to refrain from giving advice and read more...
Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Teching In

I hope I haven't already screwed it up. I put stock injectors back in now it won't crank. Just keeps turning over like timing is off or something. Do you think plugs could just be fouled or maybe I am just out of gas? It's on E but should still have enough for it to crank. Fuel rail still has pressure and gas spews out when I release it at valve stem.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

You probably fouled you plugs. Also check your oil for a gas smell. I would change that oil.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 6.0TOGO
I hope I haven't already screwed it up. I put stock injectors back in now it won't crank. Just keeps turning over like timing is off or something. Do you think plugs could just be fouled or maybe I am just out of gas? It's on E but should still have enough for it to crank. Fuel rail still has pressure and gas spews out when I release it at valve stem.
As mentioned, probably fuel fowled plugs and contaminated the oil. Swap new plugs and change the oil. My car ran like that too until I got it tuned.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, simple thing would pull the spark plugs to see if they are black. Solid black centers will often not start. If they are NGKS, don't bother trying to clean them. Just replace them.

Quick Reply: Fast 92 and other upgrades. What could I have done wrong?