PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will new exhaust effect my tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Will new exhaust effect my tune?

I basically have the Texas-speed x-pipe and bullets dumped before the axle. If I remove this and put some mufflers off the headers and that's it, will it effect my tune? Will the ECU even know the differnce? I'd hate to have it lean out on the 200shot and pop a motor. I don't know much about tuning or how the computer compensates for stuff like this. Worst case I'll have the car tuned again. Anyone w knowledge on this subject chime in.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends a lot on how it's tuned, and this is a subject best discussed with your tuner. However if you're still using a MAF it shouldn't change much, if it's tuned in Speed Density it's likely to drift some and need dialed back in. Personally I'd put it on a dyno and check it out before I beat on it, lots of things can effect the tune-up and condition of all your parts, so a dyno is a great tool for keeping on top of your car.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

It's a maf car still.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
It's a maf car still.
Then in theory it should be okay. However how the exhaust is set up can effect O2 function, does the ECM still use long term fuel trims? Some tuners shut those off, including me in most cases of cars with decent overlap in their cams. So like I said, best discussed with your tuner, or checked on a dyno.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should not have no noticible effect on it. Car still goes to OL for WOT. Retune wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it or race it.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Should not have no noticible effect on it. Car still goes to OL for WOT. Retune wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it or race it.
and if it still has LTFTs, and the really short exhaust causes the O2 readings to drift it could be adding or taking away fuel at WOT because enough long term fuel trims in closed loop will effect fueling in open loop.

Please note I do not want to argue, and I think the chances of it having any dangerous effects are slim, but OP asked for possibilities and I gave him some.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

I am unsure of the long term fuel trims. Dan at finish line performance tuned it. The cam is 237/242 603"/.609" 113 LSA not sure if thats enough overlap for u to want to turn them off.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
I am unsure of the long term fuel trims. Dan at finish line performance tuned it. The cam is 237/242 603"/.609" 113 LSA not sure if thats enough overlap for u to want to turn them off.
I would think they'd be off, you can take just about any standard scan tool and see if the LTFTs say anything other then 0 then you'll know they're still active. If LTFTs get too aggresive they will effect fueling across the entire fuel map so I always suggest people keep an eye on them if they stay turned on.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ND2RACE
and if it still has LTFTs, and the really short exhaust causes the O2 readings to drift it could be adding or taking away fuel at WOT because enough long term fuel trims in closed loop will effect fueling in open loop.

Please note I do not want to argue, and I think the chances of it having any dangerous effects are slim, but OP asked for possibilities and I gave him some.

We just about stated the same thing.

Quick Reply: Will new exhaust effect my tune?