PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning ignition timing form plug read??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning ignition timing form plug read??

Ok, so I have an LS6 with Dart Pro1 heads, custom ground cam and a Holley HP EFI system running it. I am trying to tune the timing table and I need a little direction. I am definitely a novice with with, so excuse my ignorance. I tried running a stock LS1 timing table but it seems to be too much timing (which confuses me because I have a big cam). I am mostly basing this on reading the spark plugs (Color change is near the threads on the ground strap). I lowered the timing and it is closer to the apex of the strap and it seems to have more power. Am I on the right track here or am I tuning this wrong? Why would I need less timing with a bigger cam, shouldn't more timing advance be appropriate? Thanks!!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Every combo is different, generally most people run to much timing anyways. If you are reading the plugs correctly then you cant go wrong. Of course if your reading the plugs incorrectly then your no better off. How much timing are you running?
I always put in a fresh set of plugs then do a WOT pull and kill it, pull plugs, cut them, then read the fuel and timing. I use a magnified plug reader which also helps. If your plugs have a lot of idle or drive time it will make reading them really hard.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Teching In

I just put new plugs in, so the timing indicator on the ground strap is well defined. I have attached an image of my current timing table. Thanks for the help!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Post all your engine specs...compressions, head cc, etc....and what fuel your running.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:35 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmythegrip
I just put new plugs in, so the timing indicator on the ground strap is well defined. I have attached an image of my current timing table. Thanks for the help!
[IMG][/IMG]

Is that thing a turd with that timing map?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 AM
Teching In

That's definately not too much timing. It will probably want more like 25 degrees from 2500 up. IMO plug reading is mostly voodoo once you get beyond the basic too rich/too lean/oil burning/knocking stuff.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What's the wide band telling you??
Old 05-09-2014, 12:27 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maf_diver
That's definately not too much timing. It will probably want more like 25 degrees from 2500 up. IMO plug reading is mostly voodoo once you get beyond the basic too rich/too lean/oil burning/knocking stuff.
Gotta disagree with that.

Quick Reply: tuning ignition timing form plug read??