Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III Flex fuel Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
Those two OS's are not compatible with each other's PCM.
Ok, thanks.
I'll pick up a P59 pcm today.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Couple of issues after my swap/ PCM related.

I have an 02 Zo6. I got an 03 P59 PCM and trans my Z tables over to the P59 computer. Hooked my Flex Sensor to my fuel and PCM, grounded and powered.
My Flex set confirmed working by view my hptuners scanner alcohol content ranged from 9 to 10%.

The 2 problems I am having is "Charging system fault" code 1638 and putting into reverse takes about 15 lbs of pressure to engage into gear.

Majority of the files are the same from the two computers, I changed system options to match my Y platform and checked off the necessary options with in they selection. Under trans I changed to manual.

I swapped pcms to make sure it was not an issue outside of the pcm.
I have attached 3 files.
1st is the current P59 installed and tables from my Z on this PCM.
2nd is stock P59 Yukon 5.3 file.
3rd is my 411 Pcm Z file.

If there's anyone with knowledge here, please assist.

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
VICKY P59 PCM.hpt (276.5 KB, 89 views)
2003 yukon p59.hpt (251.8 KB, 95 views)
VICKY cam tune.hpt (234.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read this thread a handful of times and am hoping someone can just hit me with some straight answers.

I have a turbo 02 LM7 silverado that I'd like to add flex fuel to.

I am unsure of the current ECM P/N, but I'm trying to figure out what would be needed for a smooth transition into the flex fuel world.

I have a 3 Bar MAP sensor and it may see 16+ psi, so I've gathered that I may need to upgrade to a DBC P59 ECM from a van. Is 12586243 the correct ECM to do this and support a 3 Bar MAP sensor? Also, will it be a plug and play to my silverado, outside of having to wire in the flex fuel sensor? Thank you so much for any help!
Old 09-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by maxgee
I have an 02 Zo6. I got an 03 P59 PCM and trans my Z tables over to the P59 computer. Hooked my Flex Sensor to my fuel and PCM, grounded and powered.
My Flex set confirmed working by view my hptuners scanner alcohol content ranged from 9 to 10%.

The 2 problems I am having is "Charging system fault" code 1638 and putting into reverse takes about 15 lbs of pressure to engage into gear.

Majority of the files are the same from the two computers, I changed system options to match my Y platform and checked off the necessary options with in they selection. Under trans I changed to manual.

I swapped pcms to make sure it was not an issue outside of the pcm.
I have attached 3 files.
1st is the current P59 installed and tables from my Z on this PCM.
2nd is stock P59 Yukon 5.3 file.
3rd is my 411 Pcm Z file.

If there's anyone with knowledge here, please assist.

Thank you.
I believe the "no repinning needed" thing may be wrong. Although I haven't actually started the engine yet, I've replaced the PCM in my 01 2500 HD with a P59. I switched over one wire based on info I found and it may be your exact problem.

I switched my original RED 52 to new GREEN 75

RED
PIN 52 Color GRY Circuit 23 Alternator F Terminal
GREEN
PIN 75 Color GRY Circuit 23 Generator Field Duty Cycle Signal

If this fixes your problem, repost here. There is a P59 thread that will need the updated info as well.

As for the reverse problem, I had the same issue with the reverse lockout in my Swapped 69Camaro. That also has a P59. When I get home I can look and see how I've got it set up. IIRC, 2 different lockout systems were employed. One Was powered to unlock, the other was powered to lock. So my tuner at the time used a different segment I think. Anyway, it works properly currently so I'll see if I can compare anything to your file. Meanwhile, you could check for OS from a 2004 GTO or a 1st Gen CTSV.

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 09-08-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

maxgee,
I think you will need to do a transmission segment swap from a vehicle with a P59 and a manual to get your reverse lockout working properly.

Unfortunately, you may have to start out with a different OS for your P59 as I can't find any manual transmissions with your 12579405 OS.

I would suggest the 12587603 OS. It is available in a 2004 Yukon 5.3L with Flex enabled. It's also available in a 2004 Corvette or 2004 Z06 Corvette with a manual transmission. These files are all in the HPTuners tune repository.

I'm still in the learning stage with this myself but I think I'm leading you in the right direction. Hopefully someone will chime in if I'm not.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

you dont need any repinning.

RED

that is simply removed via the system options on the file.

-cesar
Old 09-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subeone
you dont need any repinning.

RED

that is simply removed via the system options on the file.

-cesar
Hi Cesar,

How do you remove that option?

I already changed my pins around anyway while I was in there putting in the flex fuel sensor and stealing wires from my EGR for my new separate IAT sensor but for future reference.....
Old 09-11-2017, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
maxgee,
I think you will need to do a transmission segment swap from a vehicle with a P59 and a manual to get your reverse lockout working properly.

Unfortunately, you may have to start out with a different OS for your P59 as I can't find any manual transmissions with your 12579405 OS.

I would suggest the 12587603 OS. It is available in a 2004 Yukon 5.3L with Flex enabled. It's also available in a 2004 Corvette or 2004 Z06 Corvette with a manual transmission. These files are all in the HPTuners tune repository.

I'm still in the learning stage with this myself but I think I'm leading you in the right direction. Hopefully someone will chime in if I'm not.

I ended up using a OS from an 04 CTSV I tuned and it works
Now the only other issue I am having is fuel gauge not reading...
I have come to peace hotrodding is a never ending story
Old 09-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up using a OS from an 04 CTSV I tuned and it works
Now the only other issue I am having is fuel gauge not reading...
I have come to peace hotrodding is a never ending story
Does the gauge go all the way to full? Mine did that. There are some extra tables in the fuel/gauge area. I had to make sure all of them had the same data as the tables from my P01. After I did that, it worked fine. Do a compare against your P01 file and you'll see which ones are "extra".
Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi
Does the gauge go all the way to full? Mine did that. There are some extra tables in the fuel/gauge area. I had to make sure all of them had the same data as the tables from my P01. After I did that, it worked fine. Do a compare against your P01 file and you'll see which ones are "extra".
I saw the extra tables and not sure what to put in them.
i'll play with numbers from an 04 C5 P59 and report back.
Thanks 👍🏽
Old 09-20-2017, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am still having issued with the fuel gauge, but found a thread on hptuners explaining what has to be done, it's tedious process...I am still searching for an easier way.

On another note, I want to do the flex set up on an 04 CTSV. I added the sensor, enabled the sensor but do not show it reading the alcohol content.
I also tried an 02 Flex enabled 02 Tahoe PCM and it would not populate the PID for the alcohol.
Anyone running FLEX and not showing the alcohol percentage PID, or showing it but not getting a read?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

I am still having issued with the fuel gauge, but found a thread on hptuners explaining what has to be done, it's tedious process...I am still searching for an easier way.

On another note, I want to do the flex set up on an 04 CTSV. I added the sensor, enabled the sensor but do not show it reading the alcohol content.
I also tried an 02 Flex enabled 02 Tahoe PCM and it would not populate the PID for the alcohol.
Anyone running FLEX and not showing the alcohol percentage PID, or showing it but not getting a read?
Maxgee,
Would you please link to the thread on HPTuners? Or send me a PM. After filling my tank to the brim, my gauge works BUT it doesn't read completely full when the tank is full and when the tank is on E, there are probably 6 or 7 gallons left. I'd like to fine tune it down to were it should be.

On the other question. I don't think "enabling" it ever works with HPTuners. The engine/diag segment has to start out as enabled. There is a thread I found one day over on HPTuners where an HPTuners employee says that he put that switch in there so it could be disabled and never added the functionality to enable it. So, at least AFAIK with HPtuners, you have to start out enabled or swap the engine and diag segments from one that started out as enabled into your tune.

You can test if the flex sensor is working by setting a multimeter to hz and checking the signal wire. I'm pretty sure 50hz-150hz = 0%-100% alcohol. So, if it's working AND it's pinned correctly to your PCM, it's the file/PCM that's the problem. If you don't get a reading, or it reads something ridiculous, maybe it's the sensor.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obeer
See post 14
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...read-correctly
Old 09-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Maxgee. Looks like............Fun..........
Old 09-20-2017, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,108 Likes on 2,423 Posts

Whoa.....Looks like...... you are.....like ...... totally stoked......... not
Old 10-06-2017, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone have a good base for a m6 fbody, 411pcm, and flex fuel? I'll be running 2bar sd. It looks like finding a compatible file for the manual trans segment might be problematic. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you f-body guys change the vin in the ecm to match your car for obd2 inspection? Any vin/os mismatch issues with hp tuners?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
Are you f-body guys change the vin in the ecm to match your car for obd2 inspection? Any vin/os mismatch issues with hp tuners?
I pass emissions in IL with wrong vin

That being said, I have the ability to put any Vin in there by other means, but I know hp tuners has issues with miss match vin/os so I don't even bother
Old 10-15-2017, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by i420tom
I pass emissions in IL with wrong vin

That being said, I have the ability to put any Vin in there by other means, but I know hp tuners has issues with miss match vin/os so I don't even bother
what other means are you using?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what other means are you using?
I use Tunercat OBD2. HP Tuners V3.x will let you license a VIN/OS mismatch but it won't let you create one.

Quick Reply: Gen III Flex fuel Write-up