PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I learn to tune my own car or should I pay to have it tuned?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two bar and three bar speed density tuning is used with forced induction. Explained above. ;-) I am on a speed density tune with my n/a and having the software allows me to pull timing when I plan to use my nitrous. It's not as convenient as a timing controller would be but I have never needed my nitrous tune and not had the ability to load it. My son and I are serial modders and need the ability to change tunes often so it was worth the investment to me.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some great info on this thread for someone on the fence about buying.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally I would learn to tune it myself. There is a lot of information and help on the internet, I see no reason not too. I am fairly proficient at HP Tuners and am getting there with DSMLink. Its not super difficult, its tedious and takes time.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

****Here's a bit more motivation..

Someone there named Jay (jay@hptuners.com) told me about a special they are running only this month. If you buy the pro and email him your receipt/order/etc. showing that you bought in JULY 2014 they will send you two free credits. That's about a $50 value. He didn't tell me to tell anyone else but he didn't tell me NOT to tell anyone else!

I decided on the "pro" version. Bought it at sdparts.com and as a kit I got the AEM UEGO wideband sensor w/gauge(and output for the tuning device) for $764.99. The pro kit is $649 so I got the very nice-looking gauge and wideband for what amounts to $115. Decent I think. I'll send my order conf. over and get two extra credits!

Good luck to you guys. I am salivating over my new goodies that should be here Friday!

Thanks.

Last edited by Mercier; 07-30-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Its not the cheapest way but I have alot of customers pay me to tune their vehicle initially and then buy EFI Live from me. They then start doing data logging and making minor changes and over time (depending on how much effort they put in) they start understanding it better. Alot of them still buy base tunes from me but then do all the final tuning themselves and some just data log and still have me do all there tuning. It comes down to personal preference and what your comfortable with. No one can really teach you to tune, its going to 100% depend on how much effort you put into it. I say it all the time, tuning isnt that hard, but learning the in's and outs of the software and being able to navigate through all the tables is the hard part. Different re-sellers offer different levels of support so I would shop around.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you again everyone. I'm now 100% in on buying HP Tuners, I just need to either find the right price or find it in the Classifieds; and I am definitely going with the Pro version and 2 credits minimum so I can tune my car and maybe a buddies using the wide-band.

I already purchased the AEM Wideband about 6 months ago and installed (thankfully I bought the good model!).
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It took me a little reading on their website to understand the licensing model based on credits. For most vehicles it looks like you'll need 2 credits per VIN(so you might need 4 credits for yours and your buddy's) but don't quote me on that. They have explanations of how/when credits are required in the FAQ and instructions section. I'd look there to make sure you know what you need.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have heard rumors that the custom 3 and 2 bar operating systems are now a free upgrade with hptuners. I have not tried it though to see. Make sure you have the latest version updates.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
****Here's a bit more motivation..

Someone there named Jay (jay@hptuners.com) told me about a special they are running only this month. If you buy the pro and email him your receipt/order/etc. showing that you bought in JULY 2014 they will send you two free credits. That's about a $50 value. He didn't tell me to tell anyone else but he didn't tell me NOT to tell anyone else!
Hmmm, received my HPTuners this month...
Old 07-31-2014, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
I have heard rumors that the custom 3 and 2 bar operating systems are now a free upgrade with hptuners. I have not tried it though to see. Make sure you have the latest version updates.
What!!!!????? We just upgraded my sons to 2 bar and paid. I am going to have to look into this before I switch to 3 bar this winter
Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should try it on my wife's CTS-V. Good excuse to put on a turbo!

Quick Reply: Should I learn to tune my own car or should I pay to have it tuned?