PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

If you're a mechanic, this MAY be easy for you, quick question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you're a mechanic, this MAY be easy for you, quick question..

Okay guys, I can attach my tune if necessary so let me know if you want it,

Down to the point, I pulled a tune from HPTuners, used it, it's fantastic, well, the car has been running rich since then and finally wanted to get down to business and start tweaking it, I started simple and just went into the VCM scanner and checked, log fuel tables, and enabled closed loop,

Car starts adjusting, you can hear it in the idle, anyways, start driving, instantly starts missing above 2k rpm, and my entire Short term fuel table is littered with red, and my o2 sensors are stuck @ reading 440v-460v, they're not changing, I've changed my o2's about 4 times in the past month so I know it's not the problem as I always get this same reading of about 440v,

Next thing is, I think, I don't know, but I think the tune I pulled is running speed density and I can't figure out where in HPTuners do I confirm that, and what to do if it is aside from going to stock tune (which is really hard, I'm running a torquer v2 114 lsa and this thing chops and barely stays alive on stock)

SO my questions are,

Could my wiring with my o2 sensors be bad? Where should I look if so,

OR

Is this definitely speed density?

Oh and I almost forgot the most important part,

My car NEVER EVER goes into closed loop, it stays open the entire time, the only way to make it go into closed loop is by enabling it through VCM Scanner,
Old 08-04-2014, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you located? I suggest you get a real tune or re-flash your old one back in.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to a real tuner before you damage your engine.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Being the optimistic person that I am, I will advice differing from the two above me.

Stay with HP Tuners, but do more thorough research. Check their HP Tuner's forums and then move this thread to our PCM/Diagnostic section. You should know a direct correlation between the "new tune" you have and your car's performance. So you know the error is in the tune.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

down loading a tune from the hp tuners repository and just throwing it in is never a good idea. so at this point you have a tune in your car that works just good enough but its an open loop tune so the o2 sensors are turned off. turn them on and it freaks out. from the info you gave i cant tell if its speed density open loop or maf open loop. you would have to check to see if the maf is set to fail on start up to see if its a sd tune. you would check under engine dio tab and then see what the hertz are set at for the maf to fail. anyway there is no quick answer here. your car needs to be tuned. if you wanna do it step back read everything you can about how to tune your certian car and ecm. then when you feel confident start with your stock tune and modify it from there. or save yourself some hell and just go get a pro to tune it.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Teching In

I would love to save myself from hell but I'm a college student who doesn't have anymore money lol, would rather learn what the hell im doing wrong, which I understand pulling a tune is a stupid idea, but it's better than idle surging and dying every light.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Alright I understand. I will see if I can help you figure this out. Do you have a wideband on the car? Do the o2 sensors work with the stock tune? I will pm you with my email address if you would like so I can look the stock tune and your HP rep tune over and see if we can merge them and get you going.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are books, dvd's, tons of stickies all over the place to get you to the right place in tuning. If you have bought 4 o2 sensors already then you could have bought a base tune and tweaked that from there from a vendor on here thru email.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:17 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put the good tune back in it and make sure everything is okay. Then start over with a different plan of attack.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Teching In

Sounds great, and yeah I have the good tune on right now, it's just running rich on speed density, all I believe I need to do is lean it up a bit, but even then, I don't know where to go, it's just not the same as going off of o2's and just tuning based on what they're sending,
Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

get a wideband (i've used several different ones and prefer the aem uego)
Amazon Amazon

its your compass for tuning afr and at $160 shipped its cheap

the stock narrowband sensors are only accurate at/near 14.7 afr
Old 08-10-2014, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

closed loop uses the o2 sensors correct?

If your o2 sensors aren't working or "jumping" up and down like they should, then the car will most likely default back to open loop. I had this issue when an o2 sensor took a ****. But my car would run great until it warmed up (closed loop) and it would run like **** until it defaulted back to open loop. kept doing it every few minutes on the highway.

first rule of tuning....get your car mechanically sounds first. or you are just wasting your time.

Quick Reply: If you're a mechanic, this MAY be easy for you, quick question..