Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo calibration help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo calibration help.

I'm putting 4.10's on my car sometime soon, and will need my speedo calibrated. The car has been tuned by someone already, but the guy lives over two hours away. If I just bought a programmer, or a mail order tune, would it be fine? Or do I need to get it redone all together?
Old 10-16-2014, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I d recommend getting your own tune software, or find a tuner in your area. If they charge over 100 for the speedo, find someone else. Its more commplicated then just the speedo if your an auto (I suspect 6 speed with 4:10's?)

If its an auto, dont drive it hard, the trans is confused until the shifting is redone.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Teching In

M6,correct. I asked a local tuner, and he said $100 for the speedo correction, plus $100 for the hp tuners unlock. Sound reasonable? Also, I don't think I worded my question correctly. Would my current tune still be intact? Is it just a matter of making the speedo adjustment and everything will still be there? The only reason I ask is because I called and asked a certain shop down south about a mail order tune, and they said I'd lose my whole tune. That the speedo calibration isn't something they could just "add on".
Old 10-16-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

He should do it for ,100 , hws getting closer to having tge suite unlocked completely, and an m6 is literally 60 seconds of his time........theres no shifting to deal with, just change tge Speedo abd be done....it shouls be 20-40$ but its gonna cost 100 from hp, but it helps him too
Old 10-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Teching In

Sounds good. Thanks for the insight. Regarding buying my own software and doing it myself... How hard is it to learn the program?
Old 10-16-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say its easy. But ive been tuning since the 90s. Ive used all kinds of stuff, and probably have more than 1000 f body tunes in my old laptop.
Im not a computer guy at all, my issues are usually conection related, if I have any, partly because I have about 6 or 7 different software programs on my laptop.

To do what you need...its very easy....if you get your own, you can learn it pretty easy, theres lots of information and help
Old 10-16-2014, 12:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
I would say its easy. But ive been tuning since the 90s. Ive used all kinds of stuff, and probably have more than 1000 f body tunes in my old laptop. Im not a computer guy at all, my issues are usually conection related, if I have any, partly because I have about 6 or 7 different software programs on my laptop. To do what you need...its very easy....if you get your own, you can learn it pretty easy, theres lots of information and help
Tuning isn't hard but it does have a pretty steep learning curve learning the software. That's assuming you already know your way around engines, transmissions and have some mechanical knowledge.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Squidwardo
I'm putting 4.10's on my car sometime soon, and will need my speedo calibrated. The car has been tuned by someone already, but the guy lives over two hours away. If I just bought a programmer, or a mail order tune, would it be fine? Or do I need to get it redone all together?
Pm sent

Quick Reply: Speedo calibration help.