PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop drilling those TBs, fix stalling without computer tuning...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put your IAC's 30-50
Old 06-05-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

I just got done doing this and have my IACs at 30 with no ac and 90 with AC. This is the best idling cammed car I've had yet . How much difference do you guys think it would make if I went for IAC's of 40?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike K.
I just got done doing this and have my IACs at 30 with no ac and 90 with AC. This is the best idling cammed car I've had yet . How much difference do you guys think it would make if I went for IAC's of 40?
I don't know...I think it depends on the car. Too low and the car acts odd, and too high the car acts odd. 20-30 seems just right. But hey, if I were wondering I would do it and see how it does. I would imagine it would only be the same or worse. If your car idles nice now, you might not want to mess with it either.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

It idles really good now with an occasional dip in rpms when stopping, when this happens though my IAC counts go higher than 30 for some reason. I'll leave it like it is for now and see what happens. Thanks for posting this method up.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

I just done this on my 02 silverado with an aftermarket cam. The main problem I was having was with the A/C on stopping at redlights, sometimes the truck idle would dip and hunt for an idle (even with the idle tables raised with edit). This mod completely eliminated all of the dips and the truck idles perfectly now. THANKS.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

tttttt
Old 06-22-2004, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

I tried this and got cruise control effect the Rpms would stay around 2000 till the car completly stoped. any ideals , I was think about lower RAF but didnt know how much?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put in a TSP224 cam in this weekend and with my A/C on it would die at a stoplight. Really got tired of doing the heel and toe to keep it running and stop at the same time. I did this mod and now it idles great. Tried 3% right off the bat and the idle was perfect. Only problem is what the above post stated, I get a cruise control affect or overrun until I hit the brake. It's like the cruise is on at around 2000 rpm. Did I go too far? I'm ready to try 2% and see if it will act better.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 07-06-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anyway you could do this without having autotap? Like say a magic # of turns of the screw, and just guess it. Trial and Error persae? Would it mess anything up? How many turns is the average ?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd like to know how to get rid of the cruise control affect as well
Old 07-07-2004, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

if you make ANY adjustments to the set screw, you MUST go through the idle relearn procedure and reset the TPS. Otherwise the computer will think your throttle is open a tick more and will slowly accelerate. Gotta do it every time. That should remedy your "cruise" effect. If not, you might want to adjust your idle tables.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

what is the idle re-learn procedure
Old 07-07-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TIMMEH
if you make ANY adjustments to the set screw, you MUST go through the idle relearn procedure and reset the TPS. Otherwise the computer will think your throttle is open a tick more and will slowly accelerate. Gotta do it every time. That should remedy your "cruise" effect. If not, you might want to adjust your idle tables.
I suppose, and yes. You can usually get by without the idle relearn, but you HAVE TO reset the TPS. If you are getting a cruise controll effect you definitely went too far. I was testing to see how far I could go (just for the heck of it), and that is definitely what happens when you go too far.

You TPS is used in calculating a lot of things like part throttle air in gear, etc, and whether or not you are in idle. If you do not reset the TPS it will also cause a lot of problems. Thats why you have to reset it.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just did this...and yes, it idles much better, however, it seems this affects my TC lockup and gas mileage.

It seems to take a while longer for the TC to lockup...maybe it's my imagination.

Also, the gas mileage might be my heavy foot, I dont know
Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I reset my TPS by pulling out the plug to it, turned the key on, turned the key back off and replugged in the TPS. I then went through the 5 minutes of idling with the A/C off for it to relearn the idle after disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

After all of this, I still have a terrible "cruise control" effect. And all of this was with the idle screwed back in to almost where it was stock, if I go any further the car quits at a stop light with the A/C on. So I guess I'm going to have to fix this with tuning? I just hope I can fix it, I hate the feeling of letting off the gas and having the car keep going. Don't like having to stand on the brakes all the time. What has to be adjusted with the tune to fix this?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

I tried this last night and it did work to some degree but it still surges at warm, prolonged idle. The car is an A4 with a 111 LSA that has been tuned recently. It does idle better now than before (after tune). The cruise control effect (on decel) has also been reduced a little. I wonder if increasing the TPS to 4% will help? I set it at 3.1% the first time.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There must be some advantage to reading zero tps rather than some low positive value. At what TPS does the switch from the base spark tables to the High octane timing table occur?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BLKTA, I set mine to 3% and it idles great, right at about 675....but I dont have a 111 lsa in an A4

ps, how do you like that cam?

edit: i should mention i had already drilled my tb, but that had just about no effect on idling..
Old 07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

99ssleeper - The cam has a real mean idle to it (should be out at Uni this weekend), but unfortunately the numbers don't back the sound up. I will redyno today,then probably go with a different cam like the TSP 231/231. Mine idles around 850 rpms and I didn't drill the TB blade.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

I know all cars are different, but in my case I reset the TPS after every tune...especially if I adjust the set screw...just in case. Another_User is correct in saying that you don't have to do a complete idle relearn but it doesn't hurt. The process I go through is when the car's off...I'll unplug the TPS. Switch it to on for 10 seconds, then turn it off and re-plug in the TPS. Fire it up and let it run in neutral for about a minute...then in gear for a minute. Flip on the AC for a minute in gear, then in park. That's it.

Glenn, to answer your question about what needs to be adjusted, it's a matter of what your car is doing and what mods you have done. Changing the engine idle speed, Idle Air, and IAC park position...and some adjustments to the timing and VE tables are usually the key tables for fixing idle issues.

Quick Reply: Stop drilling those TBs, fix stalling without computer tuning...