Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when to dyno tune??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when to dyno tune??

Should a dyno tune be performed before a stall speed converter or after?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

??? Not clear what you are asking.
I'll assume you are asking if the chassis dyno tune should be performed before or after installing a new converter.
I'm no expert on this, but I doubt it would make much difference.
If you care about the max HP figure, a high stall converter will likely result in a lower max HP because it will be less efficient. Faster on the track, but produce less max HP.
Unless you have a $1000+ triple-disk converter, don't be talked into locking the converter for a higher HP figure as that is likely to damage the converter.
Personally I would do the chassis tune with the stock converter as that might help tune WOT at lower RPMs.

Please confirm if that is what you are asking and the experts here (not me) might then give you more accurate advice.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Teching In

What I meant was should I use the dyno chart to help pick a stall speed?
Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I would pick a brand of converter you want then call them and discuss it, Picking the right converter is determined by much more that what the engine makes for power. You need to tell them the specs of the whole setup and what you intend to use it for.
A converter for a drag car doesn't always work well on the street and a street converter may cost you time at the track. Someone who specs a converter for you will want to know engine specs, Trans, gear ration, power adders, weight of the car and so on.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:25 PM
Teching In

OK. That sounds good. I am going to get it tuned in the next few weeks. Now would I be OK installing the stall converter after the tune? I doesn't need retuned if I do does it?
Old 02-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Once you have it "tuned for a stall", it doesn't matter what converter you put in; you can even put the stock converter back in.
Tuning for a stall consists of disabling several codes related to converter/trans slippage and making the engine misfire detection less sensitive.
I think a dyno sheet would greatly help a converter company pick the best converter for you.
The converter sponsors are CircleD, Yank and FTI. I give credit to CircleD for being very active in the Transmission section and answering questions there every day.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would still tune after the stall. A lot of driving parameters can be adjusted to make the stall drive better and depending on the stall you may need to adjust shift points as some larger stalls let the pcm blow right past the shift point and tap the limiter.. in general you should be ok but just play it safe and tune it after the stall

Quick Reply: when to dyno tune??