Sponsored by:

Lean cruise

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Lean cruise

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
alright- new questions on actually tuning lean cruise.

the tab under COT, Lean cruise > EQ Ratio Subtractor > vs. RPM vs Cyl Air

I need clarification- hp tuners description here states this value is how much fuel is subtracted from the closed loop fuel/air ratio to lean the mixture. EG. if the value is 0.1 and the current F/A Ratio is 1.0 then the resulting Fuel / Air multiplier is 0.9 or 14.7/0.9 - 16.33 AFR

Can someone explain that a little clearer to me? I am not sure what it means if the current F/A ratio is 1? what is that 1?

For PE you take the enrichment factor and divide it by stoich (the 14.7) and you get your new commanded value...but for this it appears there is two numbers for calculations? 0.1 and 1 in the example?

I'm confused.
In the context of what you said, FA ratio is EQR (equivalence ratio) which is simply defined to be 1/Lambda... i.e. it divides into AFR (whereas Lambda multiplies into AFR) to achieve commanded AFR...

( EQR 1 is the stoich AFR, there is a setting in your tune file, probably either 14.63 or 14.68 )

so the LC multiplier (what is left after subtracting the 0.1) and the PE factor are EQR's... there is a pid EQIVRATIO that reports the commanded EQR (i.e. the final divisor).

In other contexts, FAR is 1/AFR.

Last edited by joecar; 08-13-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

alright- new questions on actually tuning lean cruise.

the tab under COT, Lean cruise > EQ Ratio Subtractor > vs. RPM vs Cyl Air

I need clarification- hp tuners description here states this value is how much fuel is subtracted from the closed loop fuel/air ratio to lean the mixture. EG. if the value is 0.1 and the current F/A Ratio is 1.0 then the resulting Fuel / Air multiplier is 0.9 or 14.7/0.9 - 16.33 AFR

Can someone explain that a little clearer to me? I am not sure what it means if the current F/A ratio is 1? what is that 1?

For PE you take the enrichment factor and divide it by stoich (the 14.7) and you get your new commanded value...but for this it appears there is two numbers for calculations? 0.1 and 1 in the example?

I'm confused.
Just so you understand putting values in that table is pointless without enabling lean cruise first in the operating system. Only then will that table be used.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joecar
In the context of what you said, FA ratio is EQR (equivalence ratio) which is simply defined to be 1/Lambda... i.e. it divides into AFR (whereas Lambda multiplies into AFR) to achieve commanded AFR...

( EQR 1 is the stoich AFR, there is a setting in your tune file, probably either 14.63 or 14.68 )

so the LC multiplier (what is left after subtracting the 0.1) and the PE factor are EQR's... there is a pid EQIVRATIO that reports the commanded EQR (i.e. the final divisor).

In other contexts, FAR is 1/AFR.
I have found a way (well not me, someone else) to have lean cruise work - or theoretically should work anyways.

So is the EQR always 1? when would the EQR ever change? only while in PE mode correct? I am hoping at cruise this isn't a moving target because that just makes things really really really complicated.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Lean cruise

I have found a way (well not me, someone else) to have lean cruise work - or theoretically should work anyways.

So is the EQR always 1? when would the EQR ever change? only while in PE mode correct? I am hoping at cruise this isn't a moving target because that just makes things really really really complicated.
OL EQR is from OLFA table.

CL EQR is 1 (this what CL triming does).

PE EQR is from PE table.

Also, EQR can be set by the various protection modes (COTP, PPM, EPM).

You can set up OLFA table to run leaner during cruise, but this is not the Lean Cruise mode refered to in this thread.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joecar
OL EQR is from OLFA table.

CL EQR is 1 (this what CL triming does).

PE EQR is from PE table.

Also, EQR can be set by the various protection modes (COTP, PPM, EPM).

You can set up OLFA table to run leaner during cruise, but this is not the Lean Cruise mode refered to in this thread.
So am I understanding right that the lean cruise tables are active in closed loop only right?

Sorry my laptop isnt in front of me at the moment, maybe that is a dumb question
Old 08-14-2015, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are way overcomplicating it. On a drive by cable car like an F body, go into the system section (this works in HPTuners, I think EFILive can do it to though I haven't tried, I know Tuner Cat can). It does not require a CAX. The drive by cable vehicles need the CAX in EFILive or they lose cruise control.

Change the platform code to V. Now open the system options table, and copy your original platform data from F to V.

Congrats, your car now passed the platform check with no hack as V is Holden.

Now go setup the eq ratio table, on/off criteria, subtractor, and afr spark adder.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:11 AM
TECH Addict

I think I've posted that before, but I'd I didn't I'm sorry. It works fine. No OS hack needed. I've been reluctant to post it everywhere because I don't want to see access to the platform code and system options table go away in those cars, but at this point I've got enough stock files setup correctly that I can write them into any vehicle that I want to enable it on, so I don't care anymore.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
You guys are way overcomplicating it. On a drive by cable car like an F body, go into the system section (this works in HPTuners, I think EFILive can do it to though I haven't tried, I know Tuner Cat can). It does not require a CAX. The drive by cable vehicles need the CAX in EFILive or they lose cruise control.

Change the platform code to V. Now open the system options table, and copy your original platform data from F to V.

Now go setup the eq ratio table, on/off criteria, subtractor, and afr spark adder.
This is what I was PM'd by someone else. I didn't want to put it up either because I don't want us to lose those tables. However I was willing to PM anyone the information I was told as well.

My main concerns now are trying to understand each of the tables for lean cruise.

Like I said, I really wish hp tuners had a better glossary of settings setup so that I could better understand what is going on when I change functions. I still need/want to know if the lean cruise tables are only functioning during close loop operations?

I will likely start with the settings from a holden vehicle, but I also want to be a little less aggressive than those tables as well as I have heard the holdens see as high as 17afr on lean cruise. I'd like to see 15.5-16 kinda max. I don't have EGT's in either of the vehicles and cylinder temps is a bit of a concern- even though holden is set that way from factory...
Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

It'll still work if you're in open loop or closed loop. It just needs to pass the mph and enable time values, I'm posting from my phone but I believe there's a engine run time requirement and a time above the turn on speed requirement. Once you hit that, the commanded AFR will lean out.

I usually keep the lean out rate slow so I don't feel it engage. Like in power enrichment, I set that high because when I want to go fast, I want the fuel instantly. With lean cruise I let it happen slower (over a few crank rotations) so you can't feel it happen in the seat of your pants.

Remember to add timing in the AFR adder table, otherwise you won't gain much if any MPG... Could potentially even lose MPG.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

And I meant drive by wire vehicles need to use the CAX in EFILive or they lose cruise control. Sorry about the typo.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

You still need the cax to expose the LC Enable parameter (regardless of DWB or DBC).
Old 08-14-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure what is over complicated about clicking an apply button, saving the file and writing the entire file with TunerCat. And it leaves the platform type correct for the vehicle.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Should it be stated tunercat for obd2 has not been available for sale to the general public for several years and only a few relative to hpt customers own it. Not sure why you keep talking about it repeatedly if no one can buy it and those that have it charge to use it. Kind of like I have a secret and you never hear what it is. Is that bragging?
Old 08-14-2015, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can call it whatever you want. I'm just stating another way to enable LC. You don't have to own TC OBD2 to use it, you just have to know someone that has it. And I know several people in my little part of the world that have it. It's not that rare. And you can still buy it from Moates.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Should it be stated tunercat for obd2 has not been available for sale to the general public for several years and only a few relative to hpt customers own it. Not sure why you keep talking about it repeatedly if no one can buy it and those that have it charge to use it. Kind of like I have a secret and you never hear what it is. Is that bragging?
You can still buy a version of tunercat OBDII from Craig Moates if you own a Roadrunner true real time tuning pcm or are willing to buy one. Its a bigger initial outlay of money then HP Tuners or even EFI Live but saving $100 a pop in licensing pcm's makes that differance disappear very quickly.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS

This is what I was PM'd by someone else. I didn't want to put it up either because I don't want us to lose those tables. However I was willing to PM anyone the information I was told as well.

My main concerns now are trying to understand each of the tables for lean cruise.

Like I said, I really wish hp tuners had a better glossary of settings setup so that I could better understand what is going on when I change functions. I still need/want to know if the lean cruise tables are only functioning during close loop operations?

I will likely start with the settings from a holden vehicle, but I also want to be a little less aggressive than those tables as well as I have heard the holdens see as high as 17afr on lean cruise. I'd like to see 15.5-16 kinda max. I don't have EGT's in either of the vehicles and cylinder temps is a bit of a concern- even though holden is set that way from factory...
Does this really work with HPT? I've done a lot of reading about the lean cruise and this is the first time I have heard of this "hack". For as impossible as everyone has made it seem that is a very easy fix.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacer Racer
You can still buy a version of tunercat OBDII from Craig Moates if you own a Roadrunner true real time tuning pcm or are willing to buy one. Its a bigger initial outlay of money then HP Tuners or even EFI Live but saving $100 a pop in licensing pcm's makes that differance disappear very quickly.
You can still but TC that has unlimited licensing where you dont pay a $100 a vehicle and also a version that you have to buy a license per vehicle. I just looked into earlier this year.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Oh brother, well isn't that special.....looks like I struck a nerve. :-)

I have had Tc for over 10 years and use it regularly and have tuned thousands of vehicles.

You can also use a hex editor and modify just about any P59 compatible os into a LC compatable file. So I guess it is really not complicated.............

Been there done that.

Last edited by aknovaman; 08-15-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Oh brother, well isn't that special.....looks like I struck a nerve. :-)

I have had Tc for over 10 years and use it regularly and have tuned thousands of vehicles.

You can also use a hex editor and modify just about any P59 compatible os into a LC compatable file. So I guess it is really not complicated.............

Been there done that.
Sounds an awful lot like bragging.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Does this really work with HPT? I've done a lot of reading about the lean cruise and this is the first time I have heard of this "hack". For as impossible as everyone has made it seem that is a very easy fix.
it makes complete sense that it will work- I've had a few guys PM me saying they used that way and it did work- I will be trying it out in a week or so.

I think the issue is, that "option" wasn't available when many were looking to do this...I also think most threads on LC get deleted or locked...which this one may soon to by the looks of it.

Then I also think the other option is the guys who know this "hack" have mainly just PM'd the info and not put it online fearing hp tuners may take away this function...

Quick Reply: Lean cruise