PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lean cruise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Not sure how to prove that to you unless you see my hard drive file layout.

Mike454ss knows how much work I have done I'm the impala SS world and on lsx platforms.

Last edited by aknovaman; 08-15-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Whatever, not interested in a xxx measuring contest.

Take a look at my YouTube vids for a sample of what I have done.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Not sure how to prove that to you unless you see my hard drive file layout.

Mike454ss knows how much work I have done I'm the impala SS world and on lsx platforms.
Originally Posted by aknovaman
Whatever, not interested in a xxx measuring contest.

Take a look at my YouTube vids for a sample of what I have done.
Why do you feel the need to prove anything to me? I don't give a **** what you do. I came into this thread to offer the OP a solution to his question. What did you come into this thread to do? Accuse people of bragging and tell everyone how many files are on your hard drive? I certainly couldn't care less.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Does this really work with HPT? I've done a lot of reading about the lean cruise and this is the first time I have heard of this "hack". For as impossible as everyone has made it seem that is a very easy fix.
Yes, it really does work. I wouldn't post it if it didn't.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Question - does changing the platform put you afoul
of licensing (l have all years 4th gen Camaros enabled,
but will saying it's a Monaro then need me to license
a Monaro to edit it next time I open it)?
Old 08-16-2015, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Question - does changing the platform put you afoul
of licensing (l have all years 4th gen Camaros enabled,
but will saying it's a Monaro then need me to license
a Monaro to edit it next time I open it)?
I have been told changing the platform does not change the licensing - while I haven't written to my vehicle yet, I have changed the platform to fool around with some settings and have not been asked about credits like I normally am if there is a license issue.

you aren't saying it is a monaro- you're telling the system the platform is "holden" none of your tables in the tune change, your vin stays the same
Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Changing the platform does not affect licensing, I've done it. However I wouldn't do it to a stock / near stock vehicle. If you have a swap (my main focus) and have added or removed hardware it could work out in your favor.

As a side note, will this enable lean cruise - no. For reasons outside my comprehension, HP Tuners is against enabling lean cruise (and changing some other attributes I won't cover) within our PCM's. I still like their product and use it almost daily.

As mentioned previously there are other ways to get lean cruise if you want it, you just have to be more... creative.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Changing the platform does not affect licensing, I've done it. However I wouldn't do it to a stock / near stock vehicle. If you have a swap (my main focus) and have added or removed hardware it could work out in your favor.

As a side note, will this enable lean cruise - no. For reasons outside my comprehension, HP Tuners is against enabling lean cruise (and changing some other attributes I won't cover) within our PCM's. I still like their product and use it almost daily.

As mentioned previously there are other ways to get lean cruise if you want it, you just have to be more... creative.
It absolutely without a doubt does work to change the platform code. You then just enable it like any other Holden or 04 GTO had it setup. If you can't figure it out I'm sorry, I explained the procedure as best I can.

Jimmy, has no effect on licensing. That's tied to the VIN, not the platform code.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
It absolutely without a doubt does work to change the platform code. You then just enable it like any other Holden or 04 GTO had it setup. If you can't figure it out I'm sorry, I explained the procedure as best I can.

Jimmy, has no effect on licensing. That's tied to the VIN, not the platform code.
Do you then do a cal+os flash or a cal-only flash...?
Old 09-13-2015, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joecar
Do you then do a cal+os flash or a cal-only flash...?
Cal only. The EFILive CAX solution requires a write entire (and this is how I do it on drive by wire vehicles, otherwise they lose cruise control), but on drive by cable vehicles, you change the platform code, match up the system options matrix properly, setup the enable/disable conditions, fuel subtractor and spark adder, and flash the calibration...it's not an "OS Hack" like the EFILive solution...it's no different than any other normal calibration change.

Now as I said...if it's a drive by wire solution...I leave the platform code and options matrix alone (so as not to disturb cruise control), and use the EFILive CAX "OS Hack"...when I do that, it does require a complete flash.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

The way the P01 and P59 determine if they can go into lean cruise is simple. There are a few things that must be satisfied. The platform code must be V, the vehicle speed must be above the set point that you have access to adjust in the tune, the engine run time must be greater than that same set point, and the vehicle needs to have been moving for longer than the vehicle moving delay. If any of those conditions aren't met, it won't go into lean cruise, and will instead use conventional fueling (closed loop or the normal open loop tables).

Since the platform code isn't a variable based on operation of the vehicle, it always fails if it's not V...

The 2004 GTO and all Holdens had the platform code set to V from GM...this is why you can just setup the other conditions in that car, and lean cruise works. If you change the platform code in an 04 GTO or any Holden, it will no longer be able to use lean cruise. Vice versa...if you change the platform code in any other vehicle to V, and copy the rest of the stuff over from a Holden, it will work. The system options matrix need to be set correctly as well or you'll have problems like your alternator won't charge and whatnot.

Now...what the EFILive CAX method does, that's different, is it "Hacks" the OS...so above where I said it checks platform code, vehicle speed, run time, and moving time, now instead it removes the platform code check from that loop...it only needs to pass the other checks.

Both methods work fine, and you get the same results...the difference is, the EFILive CAX method works in any vehicle, drive by wire or drive by cable without sacrificing cruise control, but it requires a full flash of the PCM because it's a modification to the OS, not to the calibration...and the platform code option (which you can do with TC, HPTuners, EFILive and maybe other software too) works in any cable throttle vehicle without issue, or any drive by wire vehicle without cruise control (but those are rare), and does not require a full flash as it's a modification to the calibration and not to the OS.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mike,

Ok, thanks, good explanation.

(
I take it P01 equates to LS1 with DBC, and P59 equates to LS1 with DBW...?
in EFILive these are both LS1B...?
I know P01 is part number 0411, what is P59...?
)
Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

P1s are 99-03 blue/red so it can also be a 9354896 in addition to the 12200411. P59s are the 03-07 blue/green 1mb pcms.

And FWIW, enabling LC with TC using the code patch leaves the platform code correct for the vehicle and requires a write entire or as TC calls it, Force Full Program.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
P1s are 99-03 blue/red so it can also be a 9354896 in addition to the 12200411. P59s are the 03-07 blue/green 1mb pcms.

And FWIW, enabling LC with TC using the code patch leaves the platform code correct for the vehicle and requires a write entire or as TC calls it, Force Full Program.
I didn't know TC had a code patch option as well, but it also has access to the platform code and system matrix, so you can do it with a cal only flash too. There's more than one way to skin the cat.

And Joe, as he said, P01 is the 99+ red blue 512k LS1 pcm. The P59 is the blue green 1 meg pcm. Both were used in drive by wire and drive by cable vehicles, and both had multiple GM part numbers.

All of the P59 operating systems have and can use lean cruise. Only 2001+ P01 operating systems have it, so if you're trying to enable it in a 99 or 2000 car, you need to update the OS. If you want it in a 97-98 LS1 car you need to re-pin the harness for the newer hardware, which I think also requires a segment swap to make the gas gauge work in an F-body, not sure about a vette.

Last edited by Mike454SS; 09-13-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

when changing the "platform" does that have any other effects anywhere else in the tune?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joecar
In the context of what you said, FA ratio is EQR (equivalence ratio) which is simply defined to be 1/Lambda... i.e. it divides into AFR (whereas Lambda multiplies into AFR) to achieve commanded AFR...

( EQR 1 is the stoich AFR, there is a setting in your tune file, probably either 14.63 or 14.68 )

so the LC multiplier (what is left after subtracting the 0.1) and the PE factor are EQR's... there is a pid EQIVRATIO that reports the commanded EQR (i.e. the final divisor).

In other contexts, FAR is 1/AFR.
So in other words- unless I am in PE mode, I should always take the number in that table EQR ratio subtractor > vs rpm vs cyl air and minus it from 1 then divide it by my stoich which is 14.68?
Old 09-15-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
when changing the "platform" does that have any other effects anywhere else in the tune?
Just what's in the system options matrix...which like I mentioned above, can stop your alternator from charging and whatnot...as long as you do like I said, and copy everything from the vehicles original platform over to the V platform when you change the platform code in the system options table (immediately below the platform code when you open the tune file), then everything else in the vehicle will work normally (in a cable throttle vehicle).
Old 09-15-2015, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LETZRIDE
So in other words- unless I am in PE mode, I should always take the number in that table EQR ratio subtractor > vs rpm vs cyl air and minus it from 1 then divide it by my stoich which is 14.68?
Yes...
Old 09-15-2015, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Just what's in the system options matrix...which like I mentioned above, can stop your alternator from charging and whatnot...as long as you do like I said, and copy everything from the vehicles original platform over to the V platform when you change the platform code in the system options table (immediately below the platform code when you open the tune file), then everything else in the vehicle will work normally (in a cable throttle vehicle).
perfect- I got that- just didn't know if there was some other hidden things that had an effect as a result

I just got done looking at a holden Monaro LC tables that I will be using as a baseline. Looks like they are commanding as high as 17afr in some instances...I think I will massage this a little bit to go no more than about 16.3-16.5 at lean cruise. very interested to see what the aeroforce will report back for instantaneous mpg.

I know right now if I let off the throttle to go into dfco then lightly go back on the throttle just to maintain speed I can get steady readings of 32-33mpg at highway cruise speeds...

Thanks Joe- for some reason that tables explanation threw me for a loop

Quick Reply: Lean cruise