PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

CAN bus +/- access, LS2 (GTO) swapped 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015 | 06:46 AM
Teching In

Default CAN bus +/- access, LS2 (GTO) swapped 944

I have a 944 track car with LS2 swap (24-tooth reluctor) I am working on. Current plan is to use either a standalone harness (most likely PSI's, for those of you familiar) or the factory GTO harness with E40 ECM.

I'd like to access the CAN bus (or what's left of it), specifically the CAN+ and CAN- that originally were on the OBDII plug.

First question: is the high-speed protocol (i.e., CAN-C) always pins 6 and 14 of ODBII plug?

Second question: Did this exist on the 2006 GTO with the E40?

Third question: how might I be able to access this information in the absence of an actual OBDII plug? i.e., is there something like a serial wire (or wires?) coming from the ECM that originally went to the OBDII plug?

In a nutshell, I want to tap into this bus to datalog everything the ECM has visibility to (TPS, PPS, coolant, RPM, etc.). I'll be plugging an AIM datalogger onto this (AIM MXG/MXS).

By using CAN+ and CAN-, I get all this information for free without having to individually splice wires for the aforementioned sensors.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2015 | 07:10 PM
On The Tree

I work at Speartech Fuel Injection. Even though you mention PSI I'll help you! haha

The CAN Data Plus and minus are prevalent on the pins 6 and 14 as you stated on all cars that are CAN capable. The GTO uses CAN data since it's a GEN IV 24x engine. And YES the wires come from the E40 PCM.

You can just splice or use a Y adapter, whatever you choose, to access the CAN Data wires off the OBD2 port. When we do reworks or new harnesses we always provide a diagnostic port with check engine light.
If you used us for your harness and needed us to we could always give you a pair of CAN wires coiled up for easy hook-up for your data logger.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2015 | 08:34 AM
Teching In

That does help, thanks! I have to say -- I am very impressed by the level of support in the LS community. I could get used to this...

Quick Reply: CAN bus +/- access, LS2 (GTO) swapped 944