Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuners tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HPTuners tuning question

What all should be touched in Hptuners to optimize a tune.

I've been tuning my car via months and months of reading and absorbing. Data logged with a W/B and have the tune pretty much dialed in terms of drivability and stability.

This is a fresh build 347 with all the goodies mid-sized cam and aftermarket heads.

Idle, VE, injector data, a/f

But what other features really need to be looked at?

Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The least amount possible. GM did a good job with getting the car to operate. The less you have to mess with the better.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Let's say I take the car to a professional tuner and have the car tuned via dyno, what all features of Hptuners would they adjust?

If nothing other than the features that I've mentioned above, are there any real benefits?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:43 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Add MAF and spark to the list.

A dyno is particularly useful for tuning, because you can load the car up, get an independent AFR measurement, measure how spark changes affect performance etc. for example - did you get more power at 25 or 27 degrees timing? With a dyno you can answer that. My car for example makes its best power at 24 degrees advance, but common internet knowledge says 27 is optimal. Without a dyno I'd be at 27, not 24.

However, you've left off the most important item - the skill of the person doing the tuning. A good tuner can do in an hour or two what will take an average hack like me over a month to do. And will be less likely to blow the motor or brick the computer.

Hope all that helps
Old 02-01-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Add MAF and spark to the list.

A dyno is particularly useful for tuning, because you can load the car up, get an independent AFR measurement, measure how spark changes affect performance etc. for example - did you get more power at 25 or 27 degrees timing? With a dyno you can answer that. My car for example makes its best power at 24 degrees advance, but common internet knowledge says 27 is optimal. Without a dyno I'd be at 27, not 24.

However, you've left off the most important item - the skill of the person doing the tuning. A good tuner can do in an hour or two what will take an average hack like me over a month to do. And will be less likely to blow the motor or brick the computer.

Hope all that helps
If you're in and out in 2 hours there's something left on the table. Power, driveability, startup, economy, etc. It takes GM months of driving all around the country in different climates to calibrate these vehicles.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:50 PM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
If you're in and out in 2 hours there's something left on the table. Power, driveability, startup, economy, etc. It takes GM months of driving all around the country in different climates to calibrate these vehicles.
Ding ding ding!
100% correct.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:02 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
Definitely. My real point was that the knowledge and skill of the tuner is a huge factor as well. It is possible to get a poorly done dyno tune if the tuner is not carefully chosen.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes Maf and spark have also been adjusted to datalog.

Numbers do not matter in this case as the car is a driver and runs fairly well. I've had enough ls motor based cars to know what kind of power it's making.

In the past I've used Alvin who is local to me and a very knowledgeable tuner. But this was my first tuning project with HPTUNERS and I feel confident in what I've accomplished. Drivability is very good other than the fact the car would love more gear.

However once more gear is added it will become less usable power. 6speed from 3:42 to 4:10 = Tire shredder☺

Last edited by brobinson216; 02-02-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

If your AFR is dialed in and your driveability is good and you arent concerned with the numbers. Than I would likely be happy with it.

As mentioned above the next step for you would be Dyno WOT pulls, to dial in your upper rpm.

Other things to look into would be transmission stuff if you arent running a manual. Like checking your torque management, and looking at your Power enrichment. Again this is all for dialing in WOT power. If you arent concerned with getting every bit of power out of it.

Quick Reply: HPTuners tuning question