P0101 code, paper air filter, new-ish MAF meter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 05:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Question P0101 code, paper air filter, new-ish MAF meter

First off...this is a TRUCK.
2002 Silverado, 5.3, to be exact.

For the 2nd time in a few months, I got a P0101 code, which is for "Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance"....low voltage?

Most say, "clean the maf", or "replace the maf", due to over oiling of the K & N air filter....which I do not have. I run a basic paper filter.

Both times, the MIL came on in the same spot (which is odd in itself), during a 140 mile tow of car and trailer.

First time it happened, since truck has 180K, I just went ahead and replaced MAF with new, not reman, AC DELCO maf meter, and it's been OFF ever since...this was in late May. Today, it popped back on...again.

I run a Wix paper filter, which is NOT oiled, but I do run a 4" straight tube with 90 degree connection from tube to throttle body. I also run a modified factory airbox, with bottom cutout....as I have done for roughly 5 years. HPTUNER datalogs have proven that it works as a true cooler air induction setup.

It was heavily raining this trip, so I'm not sure that had anything to do with it or not.

Truck is 2002 Z71, 5.3 engine, 180K miles, 3.73 gears, stock converter, tire height, etc...

Mods are Ebay longtubes, no cats, Dyno max 3" single outlet exhaust. Ported throttle body, LS1 F body electric fans, and HPTUNER tuned by me. Same 87 octane tune it's had for quite a while...and truck runs great FWIW.

Any ideas what is happening here?
Just a fluke?

I'm not going to easily believe it's a defective, 6 month old AC Delco MAF meter....

No luck whatsoever, as usual for me, on HPTuners site, so hoping for some ideas here.
Definitely all ears though....
Old 10-10-2016, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Find the Max Delta Airflow for P0101 Error table in Engine Diag>Airflow and multiply the whole table by 2 or 3. I would use 3. P0101 is just a predicted airflow table anyway. Just a sanity check for the MAF. Look at a 99 or 00 5.3 calibration and you will see the numbers in that table are about 3 x as high and on a 01 calibration they are about 2 x as high. Is there really that much difference in a 99 - 02 53 truck? For whatever reason the GM calibrators really tightened up the limits on that diag as the years went on.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Find the Max Delta Airflow for P0101 Error table in Engine Diag>Airflow and multiply the whole table by 2 or 3. I would use 3. P0101 is just a predicted airflow table anyway. Just a sanity check for the MAF. Look at a 99 or 00 5.3 calibration and you will see the numbers in that table are about 3 x as high and on a 01 calibration they are about 2 x as high. Is there really that much difference in a 99 - 02 53 truck? For whatever reason the GM calibrators really tightened up the limits on that diag as the years went on.
I surely would not think so...Thank you for the reply. I'll try adjusting that.

Quick Reply: P0101 code, paper air filter, new-ish MAF meter