PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen III OBDII sample speeds (for wifi/bluetooth tablet gauges)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gen III OBDII sample speeds (for wifi/bluetooth tablet gauges)

Forgive me if this has been covered. I've been searching around the internet (and LS1 Tech) for answers to this, but am coming up empty.

I'm building a '92 Lexus SC400 with a 4.8/T56 swap into a dedicated track/drift car, and have started researching what to do for wiring and gauges. I'm pretty set on DashCommand through a PLX Kiwi 3 OBD2 adapter and a $50 7" Android tablet to completely replace the stock instrument cluster, but I'm worried about OBDII sample speeds being fast enough for reliable, responsive feedback from the engine.

My engine is out of a 2004 Silverado with a 2002 PCM, so I'm deep in OBDII territory. From what I've read, OBDII sample speeds seem to be stuck around 18 samples per second, while CAN bus speeds are 100+ per second. Is this accurate with OBDII signals in GM PCMs?

Does anyone have experience using OBDII (not CAN bus) Wifi/bluetooth adapters with a tablet as your main gauges? PLX says their Kiki 3 is "4 times faster" than the competition, but I can't find an actual samples per second speed listed, so that means nothing to me. I'm mostly concerned with the tach being responsive, but will also use the tablet for water temp, oil temp, speedo, fuel level, etc.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I used a tablet for my speedo for awhile. It seemed ok as far as responsiveness went. Occasional hiccup.

The main problem I had was the cheap tablet. The LCD throws light even when you have a black screen with darkish gauges. It made night driving not fun.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by truckdoug
I used a tablet for my speedo for awhile. It seemed ok as far as responsiveness went. Occasional hiccup.

The main problem I had was the cheap tablet. The LCD throws light even when you have a black screen with darkish gauges. It made night driving not fun.
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on placing the tablet behind the stock gauge cluster glass, which is tinted on the Lexus. Hopefully that will help keep light from the tablet throwing around too much.

I'm mostly trying to decide whether 18 samples per second is fast enough for accurate tach readings. This is a dedicated track car, so the speedo is less important, but a good reference to know how fast I'm entering into corners.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

18 Hz is plenty for gauges. The only gauges that really need faster data rate are tach and speedo. The other gauges are tied to slow sensors so there is no need for 100Hz speed.
Bus speed will be limited on how many PIDs you are reading so try to only log what you really need.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The part they don't tell you is the how big a PITA it is to use with LSx PCM.

I have used DashCommand through the PLX Kiwi on an ipad and ipod touch. Requires paying an extra license fee to pull real data and you need to have internet connection to login EVERY TIME. Meaning, login from the house and quickly pair to my car in the driveway to use what I bought. Stop at a gas station and it disconnects, leaving me without the data I paid for.

Also used the UltraGauge.... CRAPTASTIC for these cars. Won't even let me read fuel level. Maybe it's good for mpg readings..... like I built a 408 for good mileage.

Highly suggest an aftermarket tach without a speedo for your purpose. Think about track bikes, one thing they ALL have is black tape covering the speedo. For the other gauges the Aeroforce Interceptor gauges are THE most comprehensive OBD gauge available for these cars.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
The part they don't tell you is the how big a PITA it is to use with LSx PCM.

I have used DashCommand through the PLX Kiwi on an ipad and ipod touch. Requires paying an extra license fee to pull real data and you need to have internet connection to login EVERY TIME. Meaning, login from the house and quickly pair to my car in the driveway to use what I bought. Stop at a gas station and it disconnects, leaving me without the data I paid for.

Also used the UltraGauge.... CRAPTASTIC for these cars. Won't even let me read fuel level. Maybe it's good for mpg readings..... like I built a 408 for good mileage.

Highly suggest an aftermarket tach without a speedo for your purpose. Think about track bikes, one thing they ALL have is black tape covering the speedo. For the other gauges the Aeroforce Interceptor gauges are THE most comprehensive OBD gauge available for these cars.

Wow, that's great info, thank you. I'm totally fine paying the extra $10 for the GM package, but having to have an internet connection just to use the software is a deal breaker. What a bummer.

I was planning on having a speedo just so I know how fast I'm going on straightaways before braking into turns, but I guess I can start with a tach only for now and build up more gauges if/when I need to.

Thanks for the advice. I guess there's a serious lack of good real-time gauge products for tablets. I'd actually pay good money for a comprehensive app like that.

Quick Reply: Gen III OBDII sample speeds (for wifi/bluetooth tablet gauges)